Jim's Excellent Adventure

jbeletti

Updated 2/4: Added stop in Dallas
Updated 2/6: Added map link to the Excellent Adventure route

Well, it's -2.3 degrees F this morning as I check email and sip hot tea. And today is the day I planned to load the truck, head to the RV and overnight in it!

Slight change of plans. Load the truck - partially - nothing that can freeze. Load the rest early tomorrow morning, head to the RV, hook and go. I plan to put on 504 miles (10 hours for me) and roll into Kansas City, MO in the evening. Too late likely to find a CG so probably a Wally-World overnight.

Then onto Hutchinson, KS Friday morning to check out the Kansas State Fairgrounds as a possible future rally location.

Saturday I make the run south for Texas. A newly planned first stop in TX is in Dallas to visit Terry and Carol Hershberger (TerryH). Anyone else staying in the area on Feb 7-9? Then on my way to the Kerrville to attend jimtoo's RV.net Sweetheart rally. After Kerrville, it's on to Mission to visit friends and to put on a luncheon for Heartlanders wintering in the Rio Grande Valley.

Should be a fun 16 days on the road. And warmer than here!

Jim

Last edited:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Good luck with your trip! Sounds like an ambitious schedule. I'm pretty worn out after 8 hours on the road.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Wholly cow dude. Lucky you. Bet you can't wait to get out of this cold, huh? Good luck and drive safe and keep us posted.

Mark

jbeletti

Wholly cow dude. Lucky you. Bet you can't wait to get out of this cold, huh? Good luck and drive safe and keep us posted. Mark

Thanks Mark! Maybe I'll blog from the road using the new blogs feature we're testing on the forum :eek:

jbeletti

Good luck with your trip! Sounds like an ambitious schedule. I'm pretty worn out after 8 hours on the road.

I hear ya Gus. But when it's just me, I can push it longer. Me and one of my dogs did 500 miles one day - I should be able to do it alone again. But yeah, I prefer those 300 mile days :D

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I hear ya Gus. But when it's just me, I can push it longer. Me and one of my dogs did 500 miles one day - I should be able to do it alone again. But yeah, I prefer those 300 mile days :D

Seattle at 1300 hrs Friday...Houston, Tx 1500 hrs Sunday. Ya gotta take potty breaks don't cha know?

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Hi Jim, if your travels take you anywhere near Van Horn Texas stop in the Van Horn KOA and say hi!!!

The KOA in Van Horn is a must stop for me. The owners are acquaintances of mine from years gone past. I was one of his first customers after he retired from Ft Bliss.

If you can, let me know how his wife is...she had cancer last year.

jbeletti

Hi Jim, if your travels take you anywhere near Van Horn Texas stop in the Van Horn KOA and say hi!!!

Hi Don and Sheri,

Sorry but I won't be that far west. Hope so catch up with you later in the year. You hitting the Houston spring rally? Goshen?

Jim

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Jim
We plan to leave here (Rayford Crossing) on Monday the 9th and stay overnight at the Stephen F. Austin state park in San Felipe. We'll get our state park passes and will pull into Kerrville on Tuesday.

jbeletti

Jim
We plan to leave here (Rayford Crossing) on Monday the 9th and stay overnight at the Stephen F. Austin state park in San Felipe. We'll get our state park passes and will pull into Kerrville on Tuesday.

State Park passes? I may camp at Cedar Hill State Park at Joe Pool Lake,
SW of Dallas when I visit Terry and Carol. Will I need/should I get a pass if I won't be at another TX state park in 2009?

Jim

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Jim,

A Texas State Park pass is $60 for a year. Daily enterance fee is $5 per day, per person 13 and older. If camping the days are based on the number of nights of camping.

netters1

Jim,
When you head west out of Kansas City, MO & take I-35... you will pass by a small town called Ottawa give us a big wave. Mac & I live about 22 miles south of there on Hwy 59 South. We can't make the rally in Kerrville this year, but we are supposed to pick up our 2010 Augusta on the 13th and hopefully we can make the next one.
Netters :D

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Netters,
Can you make it down to Houston in April for our rally here? We will be at the Rayford Crossing RV Resort from April 3-5th having a good time again.

Hope you can make it!

jbeletti

Jim we will leave a light on for you here at exit 28 in Oak Grove MO.Its a nice KOA outside of KS. Be safe!!

I passed by there early this morning already. And I did see a KOA from the highway to the north as I was heading west. I am in Hutchinson tonight at the KS State Fairgrounds. I toured the property today with the Non-Fair Events Planner.

Heading out early tomorrow for stop D on the Adventure :) Stop D is Arlington, TX. Staying at Treetop RV Resort for 4 nights, then heading out first thing Wednesday morning for Kerrville - stop E.

Planning on visiting with Terry and Carol (TerryH) while in the Dallas area. Also planning on having the truck and trailer washed and waxed. There was a guy in Gillette, WY at Escapade 2008, hired by a manufacturer or dealer to wash all their motorhomes. He brought his self-contained wash truck and crew from Dallas just to do many 50 motorhomes, plus all the retail jobs he picked up from attendees. Anyway, he did a great job on my rig there and I kept his number. Called him up and turns out that he is at Treetop a couple days a week cleaning rigs. So - I am making my appointment :)

Anyone in the area want to stop by to say hey, I will be in the north section, maybe site 315 or 317. Better email me first though as I plan to run around a bit.

Jim