Just to make sure.

Dylan

Just hooked up last night, and the campground does not have water yet, so we filled our tank. Will opening the faucets fill the hot water tank? I know not to turn the electric element on unless there's water in the tank, but we've always started the year with city water, which fills the tank immediately. Do I need to simply open any faucet, or just the hot side?......or open any and all? (thanks New England winters).

danemayer

Hi Dylan,

As long as the water heater bypass valves are not in the bypass position, water pumped from the tank will go into the water heater, same as if you hooked up to city water. You can verify the tank is full by removing the outside cover and operating the pressure relief valve manually. When full, water will spill out of the relief valve.

hoefler

Turn on the pump and open EVERY faucet until it runs clear and no air. You run it clear to remove any anti-freeze from winterizing. It is recommended to sanitize your fresh water system after winterizing for the first use.

Dylan

that's what I was hoping/expecting to read....thanks for confirming. Love New England weather. Actually, I love it so much, we're thinking of moving.....North Carolina.

Lynn1130

You only need to turn the hot water on to fill the tank but as mentioned it is best to turn on both for a bit to get air out of the lines. The cold will give you a good flow pretty quickly but the hot will give you a few minutes of air and water until the hot water tank fills. I usually start the fill and in about 5 minutes I turn on the hot to fill the tank. This way I know I have a full load of water before starting for the boonies.

Jim.Allison

If you have winterized the freshwater tank, You should only open the cold water side until you have purged the fresh water tank. Then you should open the bypass valve and purge any water that got into the hot water tank when pressured, once satisfied that the water heater is purged, then you should open a faucet and purge the hot water line. What you don't want to do is get a bunch of winterizing agent into the hot water heater, because you will be purging both the fresh water tank and water heater at the same time.