Key Largo Owners

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We full time so we have an exceptionally heavy pin weight...4,200 pounds, so we would not go with anything other than a DRW like what's in our signature. I would suspect even non-full timers will have a pin weight somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,500 pounds, so on most SRW it would be marginal at best...

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We pull our Key Largo with a new dually. This was not our choice but we sold our Big Country/09 Dodge 3500 diesel single rear wheel as a package so getting a new truck was a must. We were at the dealership ordering a new 3500 single rear wheel but found out that delivery for a special order truck was going to be 12 weeks out which we needed before then so welcome mr. dually. The pin weight on the Key Largo was only about 150 more lbs than the Big Country pin weight plus the truck is a daily driver so that was why we wanted another single rear wheel. Ah well - best laid plans.....

Last edited:

aRAYwego

Drw and also fulltimers. Have not weighed yet but plan to very soon. I had a 2500 before buying the KL and knew I had to upgrade. With that in mind, I wanted the most truck I could get at that price point.

Last edited:

WhyNot

well that gave a laugh as the path was leading me the same as yours to the Key Largo .. we have a 2009 Jayco 313 RKS love it just desire a few things that are not capable in that 5th wheel.

L8APXER

We started our LM journeys with a 2500. Truck pulled it just fine ( airbags for the rear suspension for leveling). Then I educated myself on CA DOT laws. Now we have a 3500 DRW.

aRAYwego

WhyNot:371490 said:
well that gave a laugh as the path was leading me the same as yours to the Key Largo .. we have a 2009 Jayco 313 RKS love it just desire a few things that are not capable in that 5th wheel.
I have to say we loved our 313rks but it didnt feel like a home, more of a camper. Good for weekends or maybe a week or two. When we decided to fulltime, we knew we wanted more of a home feel. No to mention the larger fridge, wheels/tires, 2nd a/c etc.

Sunset4k

David, hello and welcome!! While we don't have a LM (yet), i made the decision recently to upgrade to the DRW. I had a 2012 F250 which was adequate to pull our 34' Elkridge, but my wife wanted to tow as well so bought the Ford F350 Dually. I just like the stability of those extra two wheels especially with her driving (and she is very good at it I must admit!!) I also upgraded our hitch from the B&W 16k to the 24k. We want to move up to a LM or Big Country in the next couple of years, so we will be ready with the truck and hitch at least.
Happy Travels!!

Jerry