Kingpin Stabilizers are they necessary? Opinions Please.

ckrspan5

Thanks for the pics, however I was actually wondering if MurrayN could post some pics of the system he made himself for under $100, thanks

MurrayN.

DSCF0034.JPGDSCF0038.JPGDSCF0040.JPGDSCF0043.JPGDSCF0045.JPGDSCF0046.JPGSorry for the delay but my trailer is in a shop on another yard so I didn't get around to to taking some pics until this afternoon. I used some special 1.25 x 1.25 tube for the larger tube that had no inside seam so that a 1 x 1 would slide freely inside of it. The sides are 28" long and mount 40" behind the landing gear, the centers are 42 " long and criss/cross as you see in the pictures. The 1 x 1 's are approx 24" long for the sides and 30" long for the centers. I used 3/16 plate 4" x 4" to mount the center pieces to and just bolted it around the top of the landing gear. The bottoms of all pieces I just used the factory holes in the landing gear legs to run a bolt through. For the bottoms I used 1/4 " flat iron to make a tongue to run up beside the LG to put a bolt through. As you can tell from my pics a spray bomb paint job doesn't stand up to many stones on the roads the way that a powder coated factory job would, but otherwise I am very happy with the way that this works. It reduces trailer shake by 90%.

SmokeyBare

Might can feel the difference in a trial by using a pair of ratchet strap tie-downs.
Bolt on a long Eye Bolt to each bottom of the leg and criss-cross the tie down straps.

Bighurt

Looks simple enough, I should fab up a few myself... **** I even a have a tubing bender I could just build some similar to the steadyfast unit.

Is the X pattern necessary in front?

ckrspan5

thanks to MurrayN for the pics and excellent description. unfortunately i do not have access to the tools needed to fab this up here so I guess I will have to wait until I get back to the farm in sk this summer and make it up then
thanks

YaShouldaGotaDiesel

MurrayN. Thanks for posting those pics. Those look much better than the store bought ones. Your's are on the legs, making them stronger than the others.

Dutch & Di

We agree that a permanently mounted stabilizer system will offer more stability that a bi or tri pod. We have been more than satisfied with our stabilizers. They took away all of our movement and work really great when in windy conditions. Diana

caissiel

I completely refuse to pay $300 for stabilizers and I bought a heavier pad lock for $12 for my pin.

I bought my truck box load holders for $60 and put them on when I want to.

I tried the strap method and it did some good but the straps stretched and did not allow full stability.

Attachments

• Picture or Video 004.jpg
    Picture or Video 004.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Picture or Video 003.jpg
    Picture or Video 003.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 31