kitchen sink drain assembly leaking

dana22

Brought home our new 2016 Ashland and hooked the water up to it to see if there were any leaks. The island sink drain was dripping. Husband hand tightened it but it still leaked. He removed the drain assembly to see if there was something wrong with the seal in the fitting and the whole assembly fell apart in his hands! He can't figure out how it went together, not alone stayed together. He says it is like there is a piece missing. He knows how to repair things too. We both stuck our heads inside the island to see if he might have dropped a part and didn't realize it but we didn't see anything. The reason it was dripping was there was a bad seal inside. Now he needs a diagram to assist him in reassembling this drain! If he finds another leak he might lose it for sure! Where is the quality control here to check these things! A person pays this much for something it shouldn't be like this. This isn't the only thing we caught other stuff before we left the dealership and had it fixed. No telling what else we will come across. It is disappointing...........:mad:

buddyboy

We found a couple of leaks during our PDI and had them repaired then and there. Your dealer should have had water hooked up for your PDI and it would have saved y'all so much aggravation. JMHO!!

dana22

They did. They run the dishwasher, washing machine. Evidently they didn't look inside underneath to see if it was dripping when the faucet was turned on. We found the one of the faucets in the bedroom dripping. They tightened it messed with the seals, still dripped. Tried to get a replacement from the factory and they didn't have any like the one we have so they dealer is going to ship it to us when it comes in.

- - - Updated - - -

We were up there 4 days and we found plenty of things to repair. Just didn't think to run water down the kitchen drain.

buddyboy

Oh, sorry. I guess I assumed water had not been hooked up during your PDI since that's when we found our leaks under the sinks.

wdk450

I would take all of the sink drain parts removed to the nearest hardware store for a new, complete drain plumbing assembly. It shouldn't cost much. While at the Hardware store I would buy some Eclectic Products "Goop" rubberized adhesive. The "RV" or "Automotive" formulations would be best for RV use. All WalMarts have RV Goop in their RV section in the automotive accessories/hunting-fishing area. Use the RV Goop to seal the drain plumbing fixture to the sink drain hole. This substance stands up better to all the road vibration in an RV, than standard plumbers putty.

AAdams

In our BH 3750FL I replaced the plastic strainers with metal ones. I use the type that have a cup on the bottom and a smaller nut to tighten so you can tighten with a standard 12" pair of channel locks. They are easier to tighten, you can tighten them more, they do not break. Here is a link to the ones I used. The one I used was deeper than the ones that come with the RV's so you do have to have the clearance in order to put them in. If you can find this one, it is about the same depth as a standard plastic strainer, and still uses the cup style. I never liked the type of strainer with the large nut, never could get it tight enough ( for my liking ) and took much more time to put in compared to these.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This is how my "peninsula" sink drain is assembled. There is a thin paper washer between the large rubber one and the flange nut that secures the sink insert. The ABS piping secures to the threads on the insert. You need a continuous bead of putty where the insert flange sits in the sink bowl. Assemble the drain with the parts you have and determine exactly where in the drain the leak is before running to the store to be sure you get the right parts to repair it. Be sure it's not a cracked plastic fitting giving you grief.

As you can see, mine leaked some time ago. Fortunately, there was a dish pan under it and it only required tightening.

1b3ebd4b39796c30a96539c6fd7118a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk