Kitchen Sink Drain

Awhile back I noticed water under the sink. I couldn't figure out where it had come from. I thought maybe it leaked around the under counter mounted sink but it was dry underneath. Well it happened again this time I had standing water in the sink and could see it leaking around the strainer assembly. I told my wife I bet there isn't any plumbers putty under the lip of the strainer assembly. Sure enough a soggy paper gasket. Come on man! Have a little pride in your work and craftsmanship. Now I need to pull ALL of the other drains and check for plumbers putty.

wdk450

Stan:
A number of owners have had this problem, including me. Some of us theorize that the standard home sink gasket is not up to the level of bumps and vibrations from towing. I fixed this once and for good by substituting RVers Goop (aka Shoe Goo) for the washer or plumbers putty. Goop is an elastometric sealant/adhesive good for all sorts of stuff around the RV. Most all WalMarts stock this in their RV section.

jimtoo

The paper gasket is supposed to go under the sink. This pic shows rubber gasket, but most have paper I think.
sink-drain-diagram.gif

Jim you are correct. The paper gasket goes under the sink between the nut and rubber gasket. It makes it easier to tighten the nut. Mine was on top of the sink between the drain assembly. Plumbers Putty must be used at this location or it will leak. Plumbers Putty stays pliable for years unless it freezes. If you have done home repairs you know it will eventually dry out causing a leak but like I stated it takes many years for that to occur.

jimtoo

Mine was the same way on the 08 Bighorn 3055RL I had. Guess the same guy is still working there putting the sink drains in. :)