Large holes in Chassis

Snakebite

I finally got to use my new Sundance 245RL. I like it. However... when I went to dump the Black Water tank, I found that the release handle was on the inside of the chassis. The Grey water handle is on the outside of the chassis.

In order to access the Black Water handle, two LARGE holes have been cut in the vertical leg of the "I" Beam. 3" of the vertical leg has been removed.

It was still very difficult to reach the handle... so I ended up wrapping a peice of wire around it so that I could pull it through the holes... and "Dump" the tank.

Does anyone else have these holes cut into the chassis?

Snakebite

Last edited:

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Can you attach some pics for us to look at? We can better help you that way.

Mark

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have to agree, that looks like a lotta hole for that valve. I am not an engineer and don't know about structural integrity, so maybe it is alright.
I am pretty sure you can get an extension rod, or could make one for that valve. That would make it easier to operate.

Peace
Dave

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I bet that did not come from Lippert that way. You might want to question this with Heartland and Lippert.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Snakebite, Is this a new trailer or just new to you? Form the amount of rust I see, it appears to be a couple years old. I'm gonna take a guess that it's used and the original owner did a Mickey Mouse repair to a broken cable. I might be wrong but...

Like Dave, I'm no engineer but I don't think that opening will affect the structural integrity of the frame. If it were just an I beam alone with no other support it would weaken it but because it's tied together with cross members and other structure, it should be safe. Just my opinion.

rebootsemi

I finally got to use my new Sundance 245RL. I like it. However... when I went to dump the Black Water tank, I found that the release handle was on the inside of the chassis. The Grey water handle is on the outside of the chassis.

In order to access the Black Water handle, two LARGE holes have been cut in the vertical leg of the "I" Beam. 3" of the vertical leg has been removed.

It was still very difficult to reach the handle... so I ended up wrapping a peice of wire around it so that I could pull it through the holes... and "Dump" the tank.

Does anyone else have these holes cut into the chassis?

Snakebite

Snakebite,

You state that "my new Sundance 245RL. Is this unit factory new? I would almost be willing to bet that the two 3" holes in the I-Beam would void the frame warranty. Looks like they (factory) did not have anymore gate valves with remote handles so we'll just cut a access hole in the frame no problem. Take a bunch of pic's and contact HL, doesn't smell right.

Snakebite

YES! This unit is a NEW 2011 5th wheel, never been registered, and made just a few months ago. I bought it from See Grins in San Martin, Ca. They are an EXCLUSIVE Hartland dealer. I purchased it about a month ago. I sent the photos to Hartland and to Lippert at the same time. Lippert responded very quickly... saying that they did not put the holes in the chassis, but did not think that the holes would weaken the chassis. They also said that my warranty would not be affected IF THE HOLES WERE PUT THERE BY HARTLAND! They said to contact Hartland and ask them. I'm waiting for a response from them. I sure hope that Hartland owns up to it, but I'm not holding my breath. I like my new unit very much and think that it will eventually become a great 5th wheel unit... but that might take a while and a lot of work. It's really too bad, the design is great, the material used seems to be top notch, and the external cosmetics are super.... but the unseen workmanship appears to be poor.

SB

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have to admit, cutting holes like that, without at least putting some sort of protective trim around the hole, is pretty sad. At least Lippert confirmed that it shouldn't weaken the structure and is warranted as long as the holes were put there by Heartland.
I would suggest grinding away the two points in the center area and using a piece of fuel line or some other material, put a protective "grommet" around the perimeter of the hole to protect your hand when using the dump valve.

noobee

Sounds like another PHAT-CHEE-GOO to get it out the door. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME on whoever did this!

CS

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
I think I would get Lippert's statement in writing and also if Heartland drilled the holes get written documentation to support any future claims. Probably never be an issue, but get it in writing to protect yourself in the future, just in case. Ray's idea about the "grommet", will save you some cuts and nicks down the road!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I have to admit, cutting holes like that, without at least putting some sort of protective trim around the hole, is pretty sad. At least Lippert confirmed that it shouldn't weaken the structure and is warranted as long as the holes were put there by Heartland.
I would suggest grinding away the two points in the center area and using a piece of fuel line or some other material, put a protective "grommet" around the perimeter of the hole to protect your hand when using the dump valve.

Use automotive door trim...we had to do this on the generator box that was built into the front...it was very dangerous, DH took a good chuck of skin off his poor bald head. Worked great!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Is every one of that model coming off the line like that? Seems for the time it takes to bore two large holes like that through the structural member of the I-beam, that a single smaller hole could be used and an extension rod put on the valve to put the handle on the outside of the frame, with a nut/grommet to make it look like it was a design element and not a f-up.

Sorry, this "cheerleader" is booing the home team on this one.

DMitch

Hard to believe Heartland isn't all over this one. Sure is some good advertisement for shoddy work.

Snakebite

I did get a response from Hartland. They agreed that the holes probably were cut at the factory. That's all they said, so I'm going to leave it at that. Of course I have kept the emails... but I doubt that there will be any problem. I think that I will at least grind the sharp points off. I took a bite out of my thumb getting to the handle the first time..... that's why I wrapped the wire around it. If I can figure out a good way to extend the shaft.... I will.

Snakebite

tmcran

If I had an employee put out crap like this he's gone. It is just easier to do whatever to get it out the door.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
YES! This unit is a NEW 2011 5th wheel, never been registered, and made just a few months ago. I bought it from See Grins in San Martin, Ca. They are an EXCLUSIVE Hartland dealer. I purchased it about a month ago. I sent the photos to Hartland and to Lippert at the same time. Lippert responded very quickly... saying that they did not put the holes in the chassis, but did not think that the holes would weaken the chassis. They also said that my warranty would not be affected IF THE HOLES WERE PUT THERE BY HARTLAND! They said to contact Hartland and ask them. I'm waiting for a response from them. I sure hope that Hartland owns up to it, but I'm not holding my breath. I like my new unit very much and think that it will eventually become a great 5th wheel unit... but that might take a while and a lot of work. It's really too bad, the design is great, the material used seems to be top notch, and the external cosmetics are super.... but the unseen workmanship appears to be poor.

SB

BTW it is Heartland not Hartland. There is a dealer called Hartland.