Larry the headhunter is getting operated on

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Yea you are right Bill, DW Debbi is really feeling it today. She was ready last monday to go and the cardiologist wanted to see me face to face to tell me of the dangers of non-cardiac surgery only 3 months after my latest drug eluting stent, which could be 10% mortality. My son, who is an ace photographer, decided to take family pics on our balcony the other day, which brought tears to the wife. Guess it's getting kinda real now.

36 hours to go..... Geez, it is kinda scary to get cut from the front and back on Tue and just the back on Thu for a total of 10-12 hrs of surgery. At least it's pain that will hopefully eventually heal, unlike the last 2 back operations Aug 09, and Jul 1, 2010. They are taking out all the hard plastic discs and using all kinds of bone to fuse both bottom vertebrae and the disc space. Some of it comes from the iliac crest on my hip.

Larryheadhunter

Ok everyone, the time has come so I'm in the hospital pre-op and my 2 stage surgeries are set for 7AM this morning, and Thu 7AM. I feel strong and ready and my beautiful wife Debbi is besides me as we take the next step towards full recovery. Thanks everyone for all your unconditional faith and support. There coming for me very soon, and I feel calm and serene and ready for this undertaking. Seems like I went thru this fusion last July. I pray this time it works.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Best of luck to you, Larry. I hope when they put you back together that they don't put the front where the back should be and the back where the front should be. You'll end up doing the proverbial "Looking north and heading south" walk.

reverts

Best of luck Larry, we hope this time it all works out for you. Looking forward to seeing you on the road soon. Our prayers are with with you.

Rich & Robin

Larryheadhunter

OUT OF SURGERY, whoopie, part one done. Unfortunately, due to congenital low blood pressure, they are giving me low doses of Dilaudid and/or Morphine for the pain. I have insicions on my lower left stomach and in lower center of my back. Thought the pain would be worse, but it's barely manageable. I was told after Thu long surgery, when they decompress and fuse me they replace the old hardware with larger pieces, and to expect wicked pain. It was definitely a major plus to detox early this month off of Oxycodone and benzodiazapam, as the pain with Morphine and/or Dilaudid is doing its job.

rarnold

Glad to hear the surgery is behind you and all went well. Keep ahead of the pain with the meds for as long as you need to so as to stay as comfortable as possible. Just keep thinking what lies ahead after PT...... SUMMER and enjoying RV outings again.
Hang tuff, big guy. You WILL get through this and be stronger, better, faster!
Rod

bill40

Good to hear this news, take a deep breath Thursday will be here and gone in no time. Just keep looking at the Landmark file. Take Care Bill

YaShouldaGotaDiesel

The second bigDay has arrived ! Embrace it with that strong will that you have and God will gave you with another successful surgery.

Last edited:

Larryheadhunter

Hi everyone,
Both back fusion surgeries completed yesterday successfully, and after checking all my parts, I'm still here, thank God. Stopping the pain pump tomorrow, and planning on going home Monday, to begin my long, arduous recovery. My DW Debbi and I are very optimistic, even though it will be difficult. I'm really hurting, but am excited that there must be a light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks everyone for all your support.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Thank God the surgery(s) went well. We will continue our prayers for your continued healing. God Bless

boatdoc

Great News Larry!!! Follow doctors orders and you'll be up and at'em soon.

Your Oregon buds, Gary & Diana

Larryheadhunter

I take it all back. Everywhere I move there is pain, pain and more pain. Hopefully tomorrow we head home to mercifully heal bit by bit, inch by inch. This sux, but at least I have hope. I will crawl from under my rock as soon as I'm able.