Larry the headhunter is getting operated on

rarnold

Slow but sure, Larry. Glad things are connecting up with the nerves etc. That's great news. We're all thinking of you every day and giving positive vibes and prayers for you. Hang in there and be patient, Prudence. It will all come in time....... it just TAKES time.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Hi everyone,
It's been 2 days short of 4 months post spinal surgeries Feb 8&10, and finally a week ago I started getting my energy back. My DW Debbi and I began the walking regiment first at the beach, then 3 days ago I walked 3 miles in my neighborhood. I need to listen to you'all that said take it slow and easy, lol. The really good news is I've finally been given the OK to begin grueling Physical Therapy trunk core strengthening tomorrow 3 days a week for 6 weeks, after being virtually bedridden for the last 2 yrs, because of 3 back surgeries, including 2 spinal fusions. I finally had the guts to read the 10 page 20 procedures, 3 operation, 16 hrs under over 2 days, post op report. It did confirm I wasn't dreaming that the July 2010 fusion resulted in both lumbar levels non-fusing with spinal instability and movement. Last weeks xray showed the cadaver bones placed thru my stomach into my spine are still in place, and the bone removed from my iliac crest (hip), is slowly healing. I have some atrophy of my left leg and a long recovery ahead, but I am progressing slowly but surely.
All docs agreed that I must remain on the same pain meds for another 2 months before beginning the tapering off process.

Hospital bed is gone, mental state improving, and all the great Heartland Owner support has been awesome. Thanks again for all the emails, texts, Facebook comments, and surprise phone calls. I am improving and if I can muster the strength we will try to show up staying in a cabin er one of the summer rallies.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Larry, it's good to hear your on that road to recovery and hopefully some comfort. I've only been through therapy once for a rotator cuff issue. I found that following the therapy and doctors orders actually worked. Early on when I started feeling pretty good I thought to myself, OK, that enough. The pain returned very soon. I continued as instructed and now haven't had shoulder pain in years.
So did you make it to the Grand Canyon? If not, we're hoping to get back out west for the 2012-2013 winter. Let's plan on it then. Deal?

bill40

Things are looking up, 3mile walk, some comfort that's great news. Those 6 weeks will pass and the therapy will get everything working properly. Keep the good thoughts. Take Care B&J

Larryheadhunter

Hi everyone, I hope all you folks who went to the Heartland National Rally are having a great time, wish Debbi and I were there too.

Physical therapy has been rough but I am getting used to it now. I can only handle it twice a week, but hoping to increase to 3 times a week in due time. Now that I'm stabilizing, we have decided to cut back the pain meds starting tomorrow. After reading my post operation reports from Feb 8 & 10, the surgeon stated that I had a non-union with spinal movement, which is why these operations were so important to succeed. It is the very reason that my legs ached so badly for the last 6 months since the failed July 2010 fusion, which caused some nerve damage and muscle atrophy. Now after walking at least a mile each day, I am beginning to feel some improvement in the pain and muscle lengthening. I felt well enough to take Debbi out on a Catamaran for her birthday and we had a great time, especially since we were lucky enough to come across 3 pods of dolphins which was awesome.
Thanks again everyone for your support. Have a wonderful summer.

Larryheadhunter

And I forgot to add,
debbi and I are taking our first semi-RV trip on July 11 to Canyon RV Park in Anaheim, CA with some friends. Same park where we had our first Heartland So Cal Rally a few years ago. Since we no longer own an RV, we are staying in one of their on-site cabins. If it goes well, then we will be going with our RV friends of 30 years in their Weekend Warrior for a couple summer excursions, possibly to Nor Cal and to Oregon. Yea is right! Took 3 walks today, and getting ready for my daily leg and back home physical therapy. Simple stuff but necessary to get back into the ball game.

PSF513

I've told you before and I'll say it again. 10 feet tall and bullet-proof. Larry, I just don't know what else to say. You have been through the depths and have come out the other side. I can't wait to get together at a rally or something.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Yea is right! Took 3 walks today, and getting ready for my daily leg and back home physical therapy. Simple stuff but necessary to get back into the ball game.

Some of those simple looking and sounding exercises can be the hardest. Keep building that strength up.
Kristy

boatdoc

Good to hear Larry!!! We're here at our little campout in Yreka. Many are already here and having the normal Heartland get together fun, show me your's and I'll show you mine type stuff. Deb and Ray's "ground controll" works nice.
Keep up the good work, Gary (boatdoc)

PS I thought you told me a couple years ago " no more boats"

jbeletti

Shout out to the Big Lar' from the big rally in Goshen. Having a great time here and Bob and Bo Sargent are here representing the West. Be well pal,

Jim

rarnold

Glad to hear the great news, Larry. Keep up the good work. Keep improving and getting stronger. We are just starting out on our first fiver journey up into Canada. I look forward to meeting up with you at one of the rallies or somewhere along the highways. Happy Trails to you!

ankie3467

With such a can do attitude, you will get better. Just one word of caution--Dont overdo!! You dont want to make things worse. Healing thoughts headed your way!

Larryheadhunter

Hi, all u folks are so kind, really. Well life threw me a wicked curve. 11 days ago my physical therapist increased my workout after 3 easy weeks, and gave me a nice core strengthening exercise laying on a ball, trying to balance, left arm out and right leg, etc, well, as he felt it was time to add 5 new exercises, I was feeling so much improvement. However, the next morning, when I basically couldn't move without excruciating pain. The strange part is I didn't realize how weak I am after 3 back surgeries including 2 fusions, and all that advice to go easy was very sage and I should have listened. Well, several days later, full of steroids to reduce the inflammation and swelling in my back and hips, MRI's, CT Scans and although unable to sleep, I'm starting to get back my mojo. Lol. Slowly. My walking buddy, my neighbor retired firecaptain must be wondering why I haven't left the house for almost 2 weeks.Anyway, slight setback, but I met a local physical therapist who specializes in pool therapy for spinal fusions, so I'm jazzed. I was walking 2-3 miles 3-5 times a week. I gotta come back.I'm drooling about getting out there RVing with a new Big Horn and Chevy truck. It may take longer than I hoped, but its a dream worth working my butt off for, although my DW Debbi is quite skeptical. She asked me to have 3 good days in a row. Can't blame her.Well, that's the latest tumultuous chapter in my life. How exciting it is laying on ice most of the time. LolHopefully next week will be the best one yet.

bacaye

I have also had three back operations and my surgeon would not let me go near that ball. He told me no bending to touch..squat only...no hyper extensions period. His advice to me was WALK...My other lists of NO's included mopping the floor, running the vacuum, and making a bed. I can tell you I can not avoid the last three or stooping to pick something up but I do pay attention...If I feel my back talking to me I quit what I am doing and wait awhile before going back to it. I feel for you...I need the fourth one but emotionally I am not ready. I know I have movement now between 3 and 4 now so another fusion plus they want to put the rods back in...OH!!! I forgot one more no no....avoid steps as much as possible. Good Luck with your recovery.. Barb

Larryheadhunter

Hi everybody,Surprise news that even baffled me, the events of the last few days. I've just completed my 2nd round of steroids to reduce massive inflammation, as the result of overdoing physical therapy 3 weeks ago. I was mostly bedridden during that time. Well, our close friends of 30 yrs, and RV mentors invited my DW and I for a 5th wheeling trip to Oregon. I declined, but Debbi decided to go. Well, miraculously on Sunday I woke up feeling much better, albeit bad back pain and legs aching. Lol, yes we are now in Redding, CA at the end of Day 2, and we are having an awesome time. Yes, I'm handicapped, but making the best of it. Hope I can last. I will report back in a few days. Thanks everyone for all your support.