leaking fitting behind shower

DonHelenL

I have a 2013 Bighorn 3010RE .Behind my shower is a fitting that has a hot water and cold water pex pipe attached to it. The two pipes come up from the base of the shower and end a the black fitting. The pipes are attached by hand tightened fittings.( which was leaking) Next to impossible to get my hand in to tighten. Can anyone tell me what this fitting is? My only thought is some kind of mixing valve.....but for what?

danemayer

If it looks like the attached picture, it's the black tank flush line anti-siphon valve. If you're using the black tank flush and campground water pressure goes negative, the valve prevents contamination of the water supply.

Attachments

• BH Black Tank Flush Anti Siphon Annotated.jpg
    BH Black Tank Flush Anti Siphon Annotated.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 87

LBR

I have a 2013 Bighorn 3010RE .Behind my shower is a fitting that has a hot water and cold water pex pipe attached to it. The two pipes come up from the base of the shower and end a the black fitting. The pipes are attached by hand tightened fittings.( which was leaking) Next to impossible to get my hand in to tighten. Can anyone tell me what this fitting is? My only thought is some kind of mixing valve.....but for what?

Like Dan mentioned.....are you SURE they both are cold water pipes attached to that fitting? Hot water piping is usually red in color and may be going to the shower faucet, and not that fitting?

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Sorry, but you're wrong about the red vs. blue PEX lines connected to the ASV. In the photo, the two red lines disappearing into the wall are what WAS connected to my ASV. The output from the ASV was tied to that white garden hose that goes to the sprayer in the tank. And yes, they were connected to the ASV. It's how I ripped it out of the cavity after it sprayed water all over and onto the kitchen floor by the steps.

Warning to all: If your ASV is behind the shower (the round access port), your furnace is probably directly beneath it. Not good if it decides to dump water. With mine, it was above where the converter and surge suppressor used to be before I relocated them to the side of the step framing.

Attachments

• Basement jungle.JPG
    Basement jungle.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2702 (Large).JPG
    IMG_2702 (Large).JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 46

danemayer

If the black tank flush works (perhaps leaking during use), I wouldn't worry about the color of the 2 PEX tubes. The factory should have used two blue lines since it's just cold, but the color of the PEX can be wrong without compromising the function.

Maybe someone with smaller hands can help you tighten the fittings. It doesn't require a lot of strength to hand tighten them.

sengli

When I ripped my ASV, out my current landmark...and threw it as far as I could. It was, briefly attached with a red, and blue pex line. I threw the ASV, due to the fact 2 out of the last three new fifth wheels I have owned from heartland...dumped water into the belly of my rig on the first attempt to use the black tank flush.

I am not faulting heartland, just the design of the system. I was able to remove the plumbing runs and the ASV valve thru the shower access port.

JohnDar

You're right, the color of the PEX connected to the ASV is immaterial. What is of concern is how the cheap plastic things are known to fail. Blue or red, when the thing fails, the water is wet either way.

DonHelenL

Thanks for the input everyone. I did get the fitting tightened ( hopefully for good). Yes Dan it is the anti syphon valve ( thanks) The valve does have one red, one blue pex line fitted to it , the shower has its own red and blue lines, the black tank flush works fine, the ASV connection just needed tightened up......BUT...these reply's have me worried about the reliability of the valve.

jbeletti

Thanks for the input everyone. I did get the fitting tightened ( hopefully for good). Yes Dan it is the anti syphon valve ( thanks) The valve does have one red, one blue pex line fitted to it , the shower has its own red and blue lines, the black tank flush works fine, the ASV connection just needed tightened up......BUT...these reply's have me worried about the reliability of the valve.

Don't worry Don. There are hundreds of thousands of them in use that are just fine.

I blew one up running 100 PSI of air through it. Oops. If you want more peace of mind, consider changing it out to a brass model.

Amazon.com
91AzQZhz6tL._SX679_.jpg

JohnDar

Just think, they could have installed those at a minimal cost increase to the rig, same labor, and prevented us unlucky “few” from enjoying the pleasure of a flood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk