Leaking sink

poosu

On our last trip we were about a week out and found water in with the utensils in our top drawer under the sink. Our sink drain had worked loose for the second time. First time was over a year ago on another trip. First time I took it out and re seated it with plumbers putty. This time I went into Camping World to see what might be better. They had no suggestions so it got put back together with plumbers putty again. I guess it's a matter of time until I have water in the drawer again and have to redo the job.

wdk450

Go to the RV section of WalMart and get some "RVers GOOP". It is an elastometric adhesive sealant. I used that on the sink drain instead of putty 4 years ago, and no problems since.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
During my regular periodic inspections, I always check the plumbing fittings. I have found the drain fitting loose a few times.
I guess, that like a lot of other things, the fittings can work loose when when your rig is bouncing down the highway.
Sounds like you might want to put that on your list of regular maintenance items.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

During my regular periodic inspections, I always check the plumbing fittings. I have found the drain fitting loose a few times.
I guess, that like a lot of other things, the fittings can work loose when when your rig is bouncing down the highway.
Sounds like you might want to put that on your list of regular maintenance items.

Peace
Dave

Cookie:
RVers GOOP is also good on threaded items, either on the threads or between the screw head and adjacent material, to keep things from unscrewing. Because of the rubber nature of the dried sealant, threads secured with this can be unscrewed without great difficulty.

poosu

I see I need to add RVers GOOP to my supplies. Never heard of it. Surprised Camping World didn't recommend it, but thanks.

poosu

No one is probably looking at this any more, but the problem isn't at a threaded fitting, it's the seating surface between the sink and the sink drain basket. Is this a place for RVers GOOP?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I guess that RVers GOOP will work, but since you will have to take it apart, you might as well fix the leak correctly.
Plumbers Putty is the way to go.
Check out THIS VIDEO.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

No one is probably looking at this any more, but the problem isn't at a threaded fitting, it's the seating surface between the sink and the sink drain basket. Is this a place for RVers GOOP?

I used the RVers Goop as a sealing replacement for the plumber's putty, which I didn't think would seal as well in a large vibration environment like the trailer going down the road. I don't know if this is "right " or not, but the repair has held up well over 4 years of active RVing. The Goop forms a rubber gasket custom formed to the sink bottom and the drain fitting.

poosu

My last plumbers putty repair lasted a year but with almost no use. I'm buying the RVers goop and will decide when the next leak happens
Thanks
poosu