Learned it is possible to put too much load on the EMS :)

TxCowboy

Got really hot here at the Texas Coastal Bend yesterday. Outdoor thermometer shows 90 degrees.

Enjoying the cool air conditioning when we lost AC power -- first time that's happened to us in the LM 365. Checked everything including the purge protector at the RV park's pole -- no indications what happened so I just turned the 50 amp breakers off and back on at the pole.

About ten minutes later, we lost AC power again. This time, I did a quick assessment of what we were drawing off that 50 amp connection. L1 was at 119 volts and L2 was at 116.

Load demand?

Two of the three ACs were running.
Dishwater was running.
Both the washer and dryer were running.
Residential style frig was running.
DC charger was running.

AND the DW was trying to run her hairdryer.

In the heat of the day, there was probably a bit of a brown out on the electrical system to the park as well since most folks were running their ACs full blast.

My lesson from this is that I learned the EMS can only do so much when it comes to managing and/or shedding the load and you still have to be aware of the demand you're putting on the system. The surge protector and EMS did their jobs and protected the system.

:)

danemayer

Jeff,

Your Power Control System should have shed some loads if you were drawing too much for the pedestal at your site. You didn't mention the water heater, but if on electric, that's probably the 1st to get shut off. Then the rear A/C. Then the Front A/C, then the Washer/Dryer. (See page 44 of the Landmark 365 User Guide.) This also happens automatically.

Note that the A/C blowers continue to run when the Power Control System shuts off the compressors.

You're probably right that the park lost power due to heavy demand in the park, or perhaps in the area. If you have a Progressive EMS, I'm not sure, but I would think it would have displayed an error code.

TxCowboy

No error codes on the internal display. As for the EMS itself, no idea which manufacturer it is. In fact, I'm not really sure where it is located. Is there an exterior display as well?

The Surge Guard brand surge protector, after I reset the pole breakers, shows five green lights so we should be OK there.

mlpeloquin

Had a similar problem. Turned out to be a loosening neutral not completely loose though. One of the hots was also slightly loose. The breakers tripped in the desert with both air conditioners on. The loose connections were in the power reel. I now have an internal Progressive EMS installed. Some have reported loose connections in the breaker box itself. You might unplug and check the breaker box and all points after the EMS.

TxCowboy

Had a similar problem. Turned out to be a loosening neutral not completely loose though. One of the hots was also slightly loose. The breakers tripped in the desert with both air conditioners on. The loose connections were in the power reel. I now have an internal Progressive EMS installed. Some have reported loose connections in the breaker box itself. You might unplug and check the breaker box and all points after the EMS.

In all these comments, the only two items I am skilled enough to check is "loose connections" and "unplug". Assuming the loose connections don't require me removing panels and hardware.

Anyone have a picture of where the EMS/power control module is located?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The numbers you said were displayed, 119 and 116, look like the line voltages, not the current draw. As such, those voltages are consistent with a nominal 120V supply. If you have a Progressive EMS, it should display the current draw on each line after it shows the voltage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

Like John said, the load demand will be in Amps, not volts and should be less than or close to 50.

TxCowboy

The numbers you said were displayed, 119 and 116, look like the line voltages, not the current draw. As such, those voltages are consistent with a nominal 120V supply. If you have a Progressive EMS, it should display the current draw on each line after it shows the voltage.

Correct, these are the line voltages. No idea what the amp draw was when the breaker(s) tripped but clearly it was too high. :)

On a side note, I have seen the power control system manage load in excess of 50 amps and it does display which system(s) was shed so I'm assuming the system is operating properly. I have a Progressive inverter on this LM so I assume the power control system is also a Progressive product. It doesn't have a manufacturer's name on the display panel.