Level-Up settling

uncledon

Her chauffeur
I've "camped" in my unit for the past week or so out back on my cement pad by the pole barn. Every so often I hear a "pop" or a "clunk". When I did the auto level the curb side tires could just be rotated, and now I see they cannot. I guessing that I may have a control valve leaking fluid slowly back into the reservoir as there are no external leaks apparent. The noises I'm hearing are most likely from suspension. As this coach is under warranty I will most likely add to this to the list. Anyone care to comment on what's going on? Thx.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

avvidclif

There is a service bulletin out about that. I can't find my copy but basically you add a quart of anti-stiction fluid to the reservoir. After taking out a quart obviously. Someone will chime in with all the info in a bit.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Thanks Cliff. I couldn't find it in the forums or "tools" section so I went to Lippert's website and found it. I'm just wondering if the issue they are trying to address is the same one I am experiencing. I guess trying this remedy won't hurt, eh?!!!

https://www.lci1.com/support-center/

avvidclif

That's the issue they are talking about, random popping of the cylinders. Just be sitting down when you buy the Cat version. I bought one but haven't had the issue and haven't put it in, but can if needed.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
I'm still out on the REAL issue though. Why is the system settling? No one, including Lippert's info has explained what's happening. I spent years in the maintenance field, and know hydraulics. Either the seals in one or more cylinders is leaking by, or a control component in the circuit is bleeding by. If it's the latter, then perhaps this "anti-stiction" method may help, but it seems with this many complaints, Lippert needs to dig deeper. Just my thoughts on it.

PondSkum

Not sure why it's settling, but I believe that when the system levels, the tires should still be on the ground. I think I read somewhere in Lippert's manuals, that the jacks aren't supposed to support the full weight of the trailer, and if the ground is unlevel enough to where one side comes off the ground, you should put blocks under the tires before leveling. Maybe the jacks are overloaded? Just a thought.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I've "camped" in my unit for the past week or so out back on my cement pad by the pole barn. Every so often I hear a "pop" or a "clunk". When I did the auto level the curb side tires could just be rotated, and now I see they cannot. I guessing that I may have a control valve leaking fluid slowly back into the reservoir as there are no external leaks apparent. The noises I'm hearing are most likely from suspension. As this coach is under warranty I will most likely add to this to the list. Anyone care to comment on what's going on? Thx.

Could it be expansion in the tire due to heating up in sunlight? Idk just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avvidclif

Not sure why it's settling, but I believe that when the system levels, the tires should still be on the ground. I think I read somewhere in Lippert's manuals, that the jacks aren't supposed to support the full weight of the trailer, and if the ground is unlevel enough to where one side comes off the ground, you should put blocks under the tires before leveling. Maybe the jacks are overloaded? Just a thought.

The front jacks are rated for 12,000lbs ea, the rear ones for 8,000lbs ea. That's 56,000lbs of capacity for a 15-20k, maybe, RV. Mine has leveled several times with tires off the ground or barely touching. I have never noticed mine settling or popping but have the fix with me just in case.

danemayer

If you have a leak, I'd expect you'd see continued settling. And if it's a problem with a valve, it would likely just affect the center and rear jacks on one side as I believe they share a valve. With enough settling, your trailer would become off-level side-to-side and front-to-rear. Going from tires slightly off the ground, to full weight on the tires on one side of the trailer would probably be noticeable.

If there's no continued settling, maybe the settling was in the suspension, not the leveling system.

The anti-stiction LIP sheet deals with noise from micro-movement inside the jacks, often related to temperature swings.

Having the weight of the trailer on the jacks instead of the wheels should not cause settling of the jacks.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
All good info/comments. Will be camping this coming weekend and will do some more investgating. Thx.

EOneal59

Check all your fittings for any leaks. Had this problem with serveral lines on my rig with loose lines and bubbles

DSC00423.jpg

OSIN

I'm still out on the REAL issue though. Why is the system settling? No one, including Lippert's info has explained what's happening. I spent years in the maintenance field, and know hydraulics. Either the seals in one or more cylinders is leaking by, or a control component in the circuit is bleeding by. If it's the latter, then perhaps this "anti-stiction" method may help, but it seems with this many complaints, Lippert needs to dig deeper. Just my thoughts on it.

Here's a possibility?

When we were in Indiana earlier this year, we were parked next to a guy having hydraulic warranty work done on his rig. He claimed they needed to replace "Chinese" made seals? Said they were not sealing and caused his jacks to creep

CAUTION FLAG: I'd verify (with Lippert) this was a real issue, or the guy was full of BS.

Good Luck, Paul

uncledon

Her chauffeur
I would find that entirely believable.

2X on that. We often had to specify new seals on manufacturing machines that came into the shop with seals from "SOC" (some other country) that continued to fail prematurely. It's not uncommon for manufacturers to specify inferior components in order to keep costs low. If it continues to be an issue I will have it dealt with in April in Elkhart when we take our unit in for warranty work.

JMP

Don - a had a similar issue with mine. Heartland replaced the front hydraulic valve during my warranty visit. I also put in some CAT fluid. Since the front valve was replaced, and CAT fluid installed, I've had no issues after two months of use. Hope this helps.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Don - a had a similar issue with mine. Heartland replaced the front hydraulic valve during my warranty visit. I also put in some CAT fluid. Since the front valve was replaced, and CAT fluid installed, I've had no issues after two months of use. Hope this helps.
Thx JMP. I'm going to find the best price on some CAT fluid and try that prior to April to see what it does.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
I was doing more research on this whole LCI level-up "popping" issue that's been ongoing from the get go apparently. I haven't done a magnet test on the cylinders, but if they are in fact made of aluminum, then that's a big part of Lippert's engineering issue. Aluminum has a large expansion/contraction ratio and definitely would add to this whole temperature induced issue. I'll have to check that out today. The key is that the additive is not a fix, only a band aid.

Oh, and just as an after thought, the tech specs on the CAT fluid specifically says it's "not recommended for common sump systems", which is what the Level-up system is. Sounds like LCI needs suggesting another "fix" that might be less than desirable. Hope it doesn't show up as a bad deal for all of us that are following their lead. :confused: