Level-Up Tip

MCTalley

Since writing this post, I found that the following is only necessary if, when you turn on your Level-Up control panel, it says "Jacks Up". If it happens to say "Jacks Down", then just do an auto-retract and you are done. Otherwise, read on.

Had a blowout the other day on my Big Country. Since it was on the driver's side, I pulled off the interstate far enough to leave me room to work safely. That put the door side of the rig off the shoulder so that the trailer was leaning away from the road 2-3 degrees - nothing major. I used leveling blocks on that side and used the Level-Up to raise the low side, then once I had the lug nuts loose on the flat, raised that side.

After repairing everything and putting the tools away, I went to retract the pads but the Level-Up refused to fully retract the low side pads due to it being too far off level. That left me in a quandary. I tried raising and lowering the front (it was still hitched to the truck) to no avail. I didn't really want to drive the pads off the leveling blocks. Then it occurred to me.

I turned off the Level-up system and used the procedure to reset the level position (10 Up arrow presses followed by 10 Down arrow presses). Turned the unit back on and raised the low side jacks no problem (since now the Level-Up thought the rig was level instead of 2 degrees leaning to the right).

Once we got to our next campsite (which was on a fairly level pad), I just performed the leveling calibration again before we unhitched the truck. Once unhitched and "level", we made whatever tweaks we needed and then re-calibrated it a final time.

Just a tip for you if you get stuck in such a situation.

Edited to add these disclaimers: By the sticker on the Level-Up control panel, you aren't supposed to use the Level-Up for changing tires. Obviously, you wouldn't want to use this procedure if the rig was truly in danger of falling over if not supported by the jacks, though it would probably be difficult to get in that position to begin with. Just be careful.

Last edited:

avvidclif

I have been known to recalibrate several times when the stupid Level-Up decided that it didn't like what I was doing. I never use the auto level but have a Levelmate Pro installed which is faster and easier.