Leveling your Trailer

I just took delivery of our new 2016 Trail Runner 27SLE about a month ago and have been out a couple of times. I level my camper from side to side then front to back and then I extend the slide. This is how it was explained to me upon delivery. However the last time we were out I noticed a little difficulty with front door nothing crazy but had to give it a nudge to close. When we returned home I went throught the same process and door is working fine. Not sure if I extended a stabilizer to far but Im pretty careful with that. I recently saw on you tube a video of a local RV dealer explaining how to level your trailer and he extended the slide before adjusting the wheels to level, thought that made sense since the slide does put some weight onto that side of the trailer. Any thoughts good , bad or otherwise
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Mattman

I think the manual says to level the trailer before extending the slide. I think that's what my NT manual said. The trailer is designed to support the weight of the slide out. With that said it does say to ensure all doors and windows move freely. With that all said it may have just been a coincidence. Or missed something in the door jam? Take a good look at your hinges and make sure you didn't bend anything.

GWRam

You will find out what works best for your camper. I always put one extra row of blocks under the slide side tires after finding level. When I extended the slide the camper leveled out perfect. worked for years.

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I always level the trailer before putting the slides out.

However, when we had our 2013 Trail Runner 22RK, I found that having the slide out stabilizers was a necessity.

Without them, when more than a couple of people sat in the slideout (dinette) would bounce and sag.

CamperSlideOutJacks-IMG_0510.jpg

I still have them, but don't need them with our Prowler.