Levelup

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

They are saying they are bad in what way ????
I don't understand what could be wrong with the jacks if the marks did not move in all that time you let it sit there.

Boy I'd really like to get that guy from Lippert's explanation of why he thinks they are bad and need to be replaced !!!
That one is puzzling me

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
They said that the constant popping of all six that causes the rig to move is not right. He didn't expand on why they were bad just that they were. He did say the if the front ones are popping and moving the rig that is normal. He mentioned large temp swings as well but we don't really fall into that category according to LCI. We are moving this weekend and I plan on cycling the jacks a couple of times at both ends of our move to see if that does anything. I am also trying to get a hold of the powers that be at Heartland to see if I can get scheduled in to their service dept but so far have not been able to talk to anyone there.

What our rig is doing is annoying mostly. But when the back jacks pop and the rig moves you can see the tv wiggle. That kind of movement cannot be good IMO.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

That's wild !!!
You did say the marks you made never moved right ??
Here in my little brain the gears are turning and thinking if those marks never moved your jacks never moved !!!!
That would have me looking somewhere else.
I very curious too see what you find.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Gee, Mike, that's scary for me. More than our front jacks pop. We did add the Cat additive, and it seemed to help some. Just now sitting at my desk, the rear ODS popped and wiggled. We just got back from a trip yesterday. Temp is 66 and cloudy, it was about 82 and sunny when we set up yesterday.

Keep us informed on this saga!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We put two quarts of the cat oil in as the first one didn't change anything. We did that last year. The marks we put on the jacks didn't change and I have been checking the level ups readings daily and they are staying the same. I got underneath and looked for cracks even and could not find anything. I originally thought it was the frame flexing somehow but we keep getting the pops.

I will update as we learn more.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
That's wild !!!
You did say the marks you made never moved right ??
Here in my little brain the gears are turning and thinking if those marks never moved your jacks never moved !!!!
That would have me looking somewhere else.
I very curious too see what you find.

Thing is where else do I look? I have checked everything I can think of.

LBR

I have an abstract theory (emphasis on "abstract") how the jacks can pop giving coach movement and sound, yet allow the marked lines not to change.

Without a long explanation, it involves a few key points...

1). Air anywhere in the shared middle and rear ram leveling system, either or both sides, that will not self purge back to the hydraulic reservoir...air just shifts back and forth when jacks go up/down

2). Heating/cooling temperatures affecting air molecules in the "air bubbles", if you may.

3). With 10,000+ lbs setting on a rear hydraulic system, a SUDDEN shifting of a ram, just a few thousandths of an inch, could be noticed inside by noise and movement?

In the evenings, air molecules get smaller as temperatures gets colder, air pockets get smaller until a ram shifts

In mornings, the opposite occurs as air pockets expand and move a ram a few thousandths inch.

Owner checks markings on rams and all looks fine....a few thousandths is not noticible.

Thru a full week or more of levelers popping daily, the marks are still dead on as is the Level Up readings from left/right and front/rear.

OK, send on the hate mail...Lol.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
A quick update. So we have moved since my first post on this thread. We set up and the front jacks were extended about 4 inches and the rears were almost fully extended due to our site being unlevel. Two days into our stay here we heard a pop and felt the movement of the rig again. I went down to HD and made some thicker pads for the jacks in the rear. So with the jacks all being extended about the same distance now for almost three weeks, the popping and movement went away. I am wondering if this popping and rig movement is due to being on uneven ground and the system does not like it. When this first happened we were on an uneven site but it was side to side and not front to rear. Surely further testing is needed to be certain.

TravelTiger

A quick update. So we have moved since my first post on this thread. We set up and the front jacks were extended about 4 inches and the rears were almost fully extended due to our site being unlevel. Two days into our stay here we heard a pop and felt the movement of the rig again. I went down to HD and made some thicker pads for the jacks in the rear. So with the jacks all being extended about the same distance now for almost three weeks, the popping and movement went away. I am wondering if this popping and rig movement is due to being on uneven ground and the system does not like it. When this first happened we were on an uneven site but it was side to side and not front to rear. Surely further testing is needed to be certain.

Our site in our home rv park is unlevel front to back and side to side. The offdoor legs are the ones that make noise. It's on crushed stone as well, which tends to move. So after 3 weeks it tends to pop and wiggle when we walk around inside. Time to re-level up again. This is even after 1 quart of Cat fluid. Maybe add another?

carl.swoyer

I'm wondering if the popping is possibly your cross members. They are not visible unless you open the belly. I had that problem in my previous fifth wheel.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

I'm wondering if the popping is possibly your cross members. They are not visible unless you open the belly. I had that problem in my previous fifth wheel.

What exactly do you mean?

carl.swoyer

My 07 the cross members that go from the i-beams from left to right passenger side to driver side we're snapping the welds were actually breaking and when they did they would bend and pop

TravelTiger

My 07 the cross members that go from the i-beams from left to right passenger side to driver side we're snapping the welds were actually breaking and when they did they would bend and pop

Ok, thanks for sharing.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Our site in our home rv park is unlevel front to back and side to side. The offdoor legs are the ones that make noise. It's on crushed stone as well, which tends to move. So after 3 weeks it tends to pop and wiggle when we walk around inside. Time to re-level up again. This is even after 1 quart of Cat fluid. Maybe add another?

I think lippert says you can add 2 quarts which is what I did.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you elaborate a little? How many broke loose and what did you do to rectify the situation?

carl.swoyer

Progressive totaled it. Upon closer inspection I found the cross members letting go ended up being chassis frame structure failure. The I beams we're bent twisted and cracked.