Lippert 4400# Axle Parts

berky

My 2012 North Trail 26LRSS has Lippert 4400# axles. I went to the Lippert site to buy bearings and seals, but they don't show any parts for 4400# axles. They list 3500# and 5000# +, but no 4400#.

Does anybody know where to get parts? I would like to have the parts on hand before I tear into a grease job.

I read in an old post somewhere that Lippert doesn't actually manufacture axles. Is there a chance the axles are rebranded Alko or Dexter?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I just got this off RV.NET:

Just got off the phone with the parts guy at Lippert. I was trying to find out what #'s I needed for the bearings and seals for the 4400lb axles I have. Couldn't find any part #'s for 4400lb axles on the Lippert site so I called them. The Axles are rated at 4400lbs, with 10" hubs and have 3500lb axle bearings on them. Same bearing #'s (L68149, L44649) you would use if your buying bearings for any 3500lb axle. Seems weird to me, but just wondering if it's normal to have bearings that fit 3500lb axles on 4400lb axles. I'm not an engineer, so I don't know if the bearings are capable of carrying more if the axle is built to higher standards or what. Any engineers out there?
FWIW my TT has a dry sticker weight of 6189lbs, loaded around 7200lbs and GVW of 8400lbs. I'm hoping this isn't just cheap engineering and is just normal.

Hope this helps some.

Peace
Dave

berky

Perfect. Thanks so much, Dave. And my apologies for you having to do my legwork.

I figure my 26LRSS is about 7000#-7200# on the road, so I'm not going to lose too much sleep over the 3500# bearings. With that said, all the more reason to inspect the bearings regularly and have some spares on hand.

And it does make me wonder ..... Over on the North Trail sub-forum, RuralPastor lost a wheel owing to a failed bearing after 15,000 miles. I think I'll throw this info out over there too.

berky

26LRSS 4400# Axle Bearings

On the Heartland main forum I inquired about parts for Lippert 4400# axles, since nothing was listed on Lippert's web site. Here's something that 'cookie' found posted elsewhere:

Just got off the phone with the parts guy at Lippert. I was trying to find out what #'s I needed for the bearings and seals for the 4400lb axles I have. Couldn't find any part #'s for 4400lb axles on the Lippert site so I called them. The Axles are rated at 4400lbs, with 10" hubs and have 3500lb axle bearings on them. Same bearing #'s (L68149, L44649) you would use if your buying bearings for any 3500lb axle. Seems weird to me, but just wondering if it's normal to have bearings that fit 3500lb axles on 4400lb axles. I'm not an engineer, so I don't know if the bearings are capable of carrying more if the axle is built to higher standards or what. Any engineers out there?

I run my 26LRSS fairly light, I figure 7000#-7200# on the road. So I'm not losing too much sleep over the 3500# bearings. But with a year and 5000 miles on the TT, I'm not straying far from home this spring until I tear down my axles.

Any thoughts? IIRC, RuralPastor lost a wheel from a bearing failure last year.

TeJay

Re: 26LRSS 4400# Axle Bearings

You may or may not be OK running the lighter bearings. I would go to a good bearing supplier with the bearing numbers that you have. They should be able to tell you everything there is to know about those bearings. Complete dimensions and the weight limits. They should also be able to find bearings with the same dimensions that would have a greater weight limit. If they are not available they will also be able to tell you. The weight limit may be a function of the inner bearing diameter. Lets say that the diameter of the inner and outer bearing is 1". In order to increase the weight limit maybe they need a larger hub which would take an inner diameter of say 1-1/4" diameter. That would not fit on your axle. This is just a guess on my part because as you already said we are not engineers. But I'm sure that a good bearing supplier can give you the information that you are looking for.
I'd be interested in what you find out.
TeJay

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Just to make you wonder a little bit more, there could be any number of reasons why bearings fail.
When they were packed did the guy doing the work do it properly? Could be from a maintenance job or from the manufacturer. We don't know.
Was the castle nut put on too tight, too loose? Don't know.
Was the tab on the keeper washer in place, or the cotter pin in place?
Was the bearing bad from the manufacturer? Inner race, outer race, cage, rollers? Again, who knows.
I do all my own maintenance, so there is only one person to point the finger at. Scary.
Good luck with your project.

Peace
Dave

berky

You may or may not be OK running the lighter bearings. I would go to a good bearing supplier with the bearing numbers that you have. They should be able to tell you everything there is to know about those bearings. Complete dimensions and the weight limits. They should also be able to find bearings with the same dimensions that would have a greater weight limit. If they are not available they will also be able to tell you. The weight limit may be a function of the inner bearing diameter. Lets say that the diameter of the inner and outer bearing is 1". In order to increase the weight limit maybe they need a larger hub which would take an inner diameter of say 1-1/4" diameter. That would not fit on your axle. This is just a guess on my part because as you already said we are not engineers. But I'm sure that a good bearing supplier can give you the information that you are looking for.
I'd be interested in what you find out.
TeJay
Well I've spent more hours than I can count today researching this whole thing. Here's what I've more or less come up with:
- A standard 3500# axle tube is 2-3/8" OD. Lippert is using a 3" tube on their 4400# axle, which is the norm for axles of 5000# and up. I'm sure they do that because the dead weight of the 26LRSS would bend the 2-3/8" tube too much.
- Alko and Dexter upgrade to #42 spindles for their 4400# axles, rated 2500# ea. (5000# per axle). On the 2500# spindles the inboard bearings are the same as the 3500# axles (L68149), but the outboard spindle diameter and bearings are beefier (1.25" vs 1.06" ID and 2.33" vs 1.98" OD for the bearings).
- If the Lippert parts dept. says to use a 3500# bearing kit, then they must have stuck with the #84 spindles (rated 1750# ea. and 3500# per axle).
- So Lippert is sort of splitting the difference on their axle rating, calling the assembly 4400# with some components (the tube) over that and some components (spindles/bearings) maybe not so. Sounds like the marketing guys beat up on the engineers.
- Strictly from the perspective of dead weight, I don't see any issues with the Lippert axles. Axle tubes, wheels, and tires all exceed what is needed. As for the bearings in radial load, I'm sure there's enough safety factor to cover the 25% increase in rating.
- If there's any weakness, my guess is that would be with dynamic cornering loads. My gut is that's where the smaller outboard bearing would be stressed the greatest, particularly on low speed manuevers. But I'm not a suspension engineer, so consider it nothing more than one of those seat-of-the-pants feelings.
- I like your idea about looking into beefier bearings. But I think you're right about needing a bigger hub to get there.

So I'm going to order the 3500# components, 95% certain that's what's on my axles. I've found Timken's on the web, which I've been led to believe are one of the better brands. More money than Brand X, but I want to do this one time and then sleep soundly.

TeJay

Berky,
Looks like you've done a lot of searching. One more point. I also replaced my bearings from the China to Toyo. I thought about Timken but decided against it because of cost and they may or may not be made in the US. I'm not sure how to determine. I got a recommendation from 57cehvyconv here on the forums to use Toyo. They are Japanese but made to very high standards. Consider their experience with motorcycles and cars. I don't think they short change the engineering quality of their bearings.
In regards to the inner and outer bearings. I know on cars the alignment angles are designed to place more of the weight on the inner bearing. That's not possible on trailers because there are no adjustments.
You didn't mention the type of lubrication that you would use on the bearings. You've probably read my posts on synthetics. I've used Mobil 1 oil in all my vehicles for 30 years. I've also used their bearing lube but I've recently switched to the Amzoil series 2000 racing grease. It was also recommended by somebody on these forums. This guy has rebuilt rear ends for a living (20+ years) and he's got some reliable data to back up his claims. I don't think you can beat it. Best of luck on your rebuild. I'll be doing our new unit before we leave for FL in March.
TeJay

berky

Thanks for the feedback, Tejay. I've read enough of your posts to fully respect your judgment.

I'll look for the Toyo components. And I appreciate the recommendation on Amsoil. The lube is just as important as the components, and I've heard Amsoil touted by you, my motorhead BIL, and in racing ads.

Safe travels in March. I'm hoping to get out for the first time in March, even if there is still snow on the ground.