Lippert Warranty Doesn't Care about safety!

beardedone

Beardedone
Isn't it funny that Lippert has a retro-fit kit for to correct their shortcomings that they already know of. I got the same line from them. "Sorry, but we can sell you something to fix that". THEY KNOW THERE IS A PROBLEM AND JUST SIT BACK. So I have to fix something that should never have left the factory. That is what gets people riled up about products. If you want the trailer you have to take the junk that it sits on.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We too had a suspension issue. An axle came loose.......lets just leave it at that. Lippert did send a guy to the house and replace all the springs and shackels. 2 tires were ruined and I was told that Lippert would give me $75.00 each for them. The tread depth was 9/32 at that time. Well as of this date I still have not received a check. The problem was last July. Will I get payed???.....guess not. Tired of sending emails to Lippert. I will chalk it up to people dont keep their promises. Just what is the "retrofit"? They had one for the very early Mor/Ryde suspension, but mine was not involved per serial #. Bob:(

boatdoc

Isn't it funny that Lippert has a retro-fit kit for to correct their shortcomings that they already know of. I got the same line from them. "Sorry, but we can sell you something to fix that". THEY KNOW THERE IS A PROBLEM AND JUST SIT BACK. So I have to fix something that should never have left the factory. That is what gets people riled up about products. If you want the trailer you have to take the junk that it sits on.

This is exactly MY ***** towards Lippert. Like I have stated in the past, if I had the money to start a frame shop and just do it for Heartland I would. We love our 3670, just can't stand the junk they built it ontop of!!

Last edited by a moderator:

osims

bsims
When we were in Goshen for the rally in June Lippert went under every rig there, measured the spring hangers for square and tourqued U bolts. They found me in the rally hall and informed me they would have to add this retro-fit to my suspension. I had an appointment at RV Capital after the rally for some add on's and Lippert came there and welded the bars to my spring hangers just like the X-factor, except the X-factor is a bolt-on mod. So far no troubles.
Bill

irvin56

Well this will give me something to check

before camping in may.

My north trail only has 2- 3500# axles. and I will be looking closely to them this summer. also I am almost maxed at gvwr in trailer.

had unit 2 yrs and traveled with it, with out any frame problems. but after reading this thread. I will give it a GOOD look.

Thanks for the info, everyone.

thats why I enjoy this forum, lots of owners inputting there stories, and makes the rest of us LOOK at things in a diff. point of view.

HAPPY NEW yr folks.
And keep the shinny side up and in between the slopes on roads(ditchs)

Tom of Ypsi

I had problems wth my springs and axles back in the spring of 06 and Heartland took care of me. If it was not for Heartland, Jim Fenner, Scott Tuttle and more, my coach would probably still be sitting at the dealership in Michigan. As far as I know Lippert never came into play on the problem but I would bet they were involved in some way. Lippert did come to my rescue in 08 when I had a hydrauic jack failure expediting the jack to me in a timely matter.

lwmcguir

Sure is hit and miss regarding repairs. We didn't get charged for the installation but had to pay for all parts to fix our Landmark.

Mariposa

Lippert everwhere

Our story is too long to post. Springs, and now landing gear. As we look at SOB's DW checks on who is the supplier is of what. Some make their own frame. then use Lippert stuff. Lippert is a nasty word around here. The landing gear on the Big Horn is still not fixed. I didn't follow Lippert's instructions, which was really just to brush me off. (I would need a machine shop to do the work)
Landmark in our future, may be, as we really like the floor plan.
We really like the floor plan of the 3400RL we have now, but Lippert stuff has us worried, what is next?
Bob

rvhomecamp

We also had a serious leaf spring breakage in the middle of Kansas in Oct of this year on a 2 axle 2009 Bighorn 3055RL. Broke all four straight off, bent the springs on the opposite side,bent two shocks and ruined a tire. Lippert Claims Adjuster David Bice was great about getting us back on the road the same day. He had Peterson Industries in Smith Center, Kansas come out and had us on the road the same day. I had our 5th wheel weighed shortly after only to find we were well under our GCRW.

We are full timers and have since been driving around on egg shells wondering if we will have another occurrence? We were considering an Alaska trip but now wonder if we should. David Bice said they would have the broken springs analyzed and let us know the results. After several email and phone messages, we don't have to results yet.

The dealership we bought our 5th wheel from suggested we add Firestone Ride Rite air bags to each leaf spring, to date I have not found another dealership that ever heard of doing that.

If Lippert has a retro-fit to this problem, they sure didn't tell me about it! I would sure like to get this problem resolved before our warranty runs out in Feb/2010

Dan

lwmcguir

I think the best fix is what we did or at least part of it. Given the fact we haul a lot of heavy loads using other trailers we have had experience with loading to the limit. There isn't much of a safety factor on the springs/axles on most of the campers out there. There are some with 9 or 10K axles and 17.5 tires but then you are in a heavier TV range. Best fix is to change out the springs for the next weight class up and install the Trail Air suspension package. That way the ride is good and you have a 500 pound margin per spring that you didn't have before. The Trail Air takes the shock off the coach, tires, and of course especially the springs. We love it and have air suspension on other equipment as well. Worth the money in my opinion especially if you are going to travel over rough roads. Lets you balance the coach as well to make it ride better.

Rmcgrath53

I think the best fix is what we did or at least part of it. Given the fact we haul a lot of heavy loads using other trailers we have had experience with loading to the limit. There isn't much of a safety factor on the springs/axles on most of the campers out there. There are some with 9 or 10K axles and 17.5 tires but then you are in a heavier TV range. Best fix is to change out the springs for the next weight class up and install the Trail Air suspension package. That way the ride is good and you have a 500 pound margin per spring that you didn't have before. The Trail Air takes the shock off the coach, tires, and of course especially the springs. We love it and have air suspension on other equipment as well. Worth the money in my opinion especially if you are going to travel over rough roads. Lets you balance the coach as well to make it ride better.

Are you saying taking your rig to a good frame shop and buy new spring packs and have them installed .Along with the trail air. Is that what you did?

geeksrus

Rmcgrath53 "Are you saying taking your rig to a good frame shop and buy new spring packs and have them installed"

That's what I did after the replacement springs (6K) from Lippert were installed. Went to a reputable axle/spring manufacturer & had their 7K springs installed.

Eh!

caissiel

Here in easter Canada we have a lot of contracters that use their trucks in rough bush roads and most 3/4 ton trucks have a habit of breaking spring plies more then 1/2 tons. They carry the same weights in the box but the 3/4 tons are not loaded on the springs as the 1/2 tons. I was told that the plies break on the return and not because of the load. So excellent shocks were very important. The spring shop told me that they change a lot of spring plies on the Ford HD's. When the 5000 lbs rated springs on my previous trailer started breaking on me I just replaced them with 3 ply springs of the same ply size as the original 4 ply springs. For the next 10 years I never had any problem with springs. They were as heavily loaded as before. On the 4 ply springs there was a short ply that caused the longer plies to break in line with the end of this short ply. I feel that my trailer shocks now are not installed properly on the Lippert frames, they are so far sideways that they will not dampen the ride as well as if they would be more vertical. Every time the axle hits a bump they let the spring take all the load and push the axle forward and backward.

lwmcguir

Are you saying taking your rig to a good frame shop and buy new spring packs and have them installed .Along with the trail air. Is that what you did?

We actually changed axles and springs then installed the Trail Air. Best improvement we ever did on a coach or trailer.

The 8K axles gave us 40% more brake area as well. The hangers are beefed up with the extra brackets that are required by the Trail Air suspension. If you are not towing long distances or not on any really rough roads, it is probably over kill. If you are keeping your unit for several years it is well worth it. Good Luck.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Hi everyone,
I am sorry I haven't been able to respond to some of the negative comments from Jim Gratz and Bob TXCat regarding my initial Lippert safety thread but I have spent the last 4 days in a cardiac intensive care unit getting some medical issues resolved.

I want to thank the majority of the respondents of this thread, including Geekrus, and

iwncquir "who after reading these posts saved him from a potential problem regarding tires and springs. We wound up changing axles to get 8K rating and Trail Air. It was money well spent but would just as soon have paid more and not had to upgrade."

I respect anyone who had told their story of some legitimate gripes about Lippert's product or their lack of responsibility to rectify their poor mistakes by improving their product, and/or repairing, replacing at no costs under weight suspension packages of Lippert RV frames and suspensions and spring leafs.

Jim G, respectfully, why would you be so insensitive and condemn people (Go buy a boat) afraid to travel in their rigs, when it is a well known fact that your fellow Heartlander compatriots are traveling in inferior Lippert suspension packages documented many times in the forum and other locations that prove they are not safe as I personally experienced? Are you saying that we should automatically excuse them for not upgrading our rigs various components so that we will be feel and be safe? Excuse me sir, but when I buy an expensive on-the-road vehicle, that we all expect it to perform to basic safety regulations at the least. I shouldn't be forced to upgrade my rig, just because you consider it accepted practice, that RV 5th wheels are inherently unsafe. Fyi, I have received many PM's and comments that have the completely opposite opinions. So you are saying as an anology that if you happen to buy a Ford or Chevy, it should be forced upon us to upgrade because it's an unsafe vehicle if there is an inherent problem. I don't think so and am offended you would carelessly tell us to go find another hobby outside RVing, because of your off handed comment, that we should be prepared to abandon our love because you say so, because we can't afford it. I feel incredibly justified to feel nervous, when my 3 leaf springs break so badly that my rig rode on my rear tire, and we could have had a much worse accident, causing bodily damage. Maybe the solution would have been for Lippert to replace the 3 leaf springs with 4 leafs, and 7,000 axles replacing the 6K, do you think so?

And Box TxBobCat, I think it's great that you buy RV's knowing that you aren't satisfied with your purchase and you make a conscious effort to upgrade your rig and make expensive purchases. Some peole just require a rig that will perform safely and efficiently and will deal with a lesser expensive system the first time around. Is that a crime?

And if you guys want to take a rich man's attitude and tell frugal people to take your stance that one must upgrade to be safe, try listening to the numerous people who have posted comments otherwise. In fact, both of you seemed to have problems with your rigs in the past, so I am surprised that you don't have empathy for others enduring the same type problems.

I think we should leave this thread open for 2 weeks and at the end of that time, I will copy some of these comments and send them on to Lippert, to see if we can get any positive reactions from them to improve their products and address some of the safety issues brought up in this thread (free would be nice).

Feel free to voice your comments, and Jim and Bob, please take my criticisms as constructive criticisms, and if you have any more reflections, please feel free to voice them to be heard by all. My comments are only IMHO. Please keep your comments civil and on point.

Delaine and Lindy

Frame issues...

Larry first off, very glad your out of ICU and on the road to recovery. I agree there are many 5th wheels riding on suspensions that meet the very minimun. And in my opinion they are a accident waiting to happen. There is a 2009 Landmark in the park we are in who had a frame failure, it was called frame roll, and Lippert has a retro-fit to prevent this from happening? The retro-fit seems to be very good and looks like it will prevent frame roll. Of course the 1 year warranty was out, but he did have Ins that took care of the bill. Had to replace the G-614's also. I do believe its a design flaw, but I'm no expert on frames, but when you see what happens its kinda easy to see why it would happen. Its has happen to other RVer's we know in some other brands. This retro-fit can be done during the building of these frames, its nothing more than a boxed frame. I'm sure you will see this upgrade in the future and the cost will be very little comparied to the cost of repair. Mor/Ryde has the bolt on X-Factor which is very similar to what Lippert has. I recomend everyone take a close look at their frames and consider the retro-fit and or the Mor/Ryde X-Factor which can save a lot of grief and or lots of Money. GBY....

P.S. Larry I also want to Thank you for your service to our Country. I salute you... Thank you my Brother !!!!!

Tom of Ypsi

Larry,

Happy to hear you are on the road torecovery. Sure hope 2010 bring much more health and happiness for you and your family and everyone else in the Heartland family.
This suspension problem is not just a Heartland problem as noted in other posts and needs to be addressed before it is too late. As far as the frame goes take a look at the older (Classic) Landmarks and Big Horns and see if you think the frames are a little beefier than the ones now. I am no expert on this but my frame look a lot heavier/beefier than the current ones. Thank you for your efforts in trying to get some answers and corrections on these problems

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Jim G, respectfully, why would you be so insensitive and condemn people (Go buy a boat) afraid to travel in their rigs, when it is a well known fact that your fellow Heartlander compatriots are traveling in inferior Lippert suspension packages documented many times in the forum and other locations that prove they are not safe as I personally experienced? Are you saying that we should automatically excuse them for not upgrading our rigs various components so that we will be feel and be safe? Excuse me sir, but when I buy an expensive on-the-road vehicle, that we all expect it to perform to basic safety regulations at the least. I shouldn't be forced to upgrade my rig, just because you consider it accepted practice, that RV 5th wheels are inherently unsafe. Fyi, I have received many PM's and comments that have the completely opposite opinions. So you are saying as an anology that if you happen to buy a Ford or Chevy, it should be forced upon us to upgrade because it's an unsafe vehicle if there is an inherent problem. I don't think so and am offended you would carelessly tell us to go find another hobby outside RVing, because of your off handed comment, that we should be prepared to abandon our love because you say so, because we can't afford it. I feel incredibly justified to feel nervous, when my 3 leaf springs break so badly that my rig rode on my rear tire, and we could have had a much worse accident, causing bodily damage. Maybe the solution would have been for Lippert to replace the 3 leaf springs with 4 leafs, and 7,000 axles replacing the 6K, do you think so?

Larry, I am glad you are on your road to recovery. May God grant you a complete and successful one.

Just wanted to let you know I was not trying to make light of the problems you have brought forward as I know it can be a dangerous one. The point I was trying to make was if your not able to feel comfortable in whatever hobby or activity you have chosen maybe it is time to either fix it or look for another. I realize the suspension on any vehicle is extremely important and should be made stronger than it needs to be for a margin of safety. But does everyone quit driving their motor vehicles because they are equipped with Chinese tires? No they drive on and replace them as soon as they can. I pray that Lippert, Dexter, Alco, and all of the other frame and axle manufacturers get their 'act together' and quit buying inferior steel, retrofit those units that need it and make the roads safer for all of us. BTW, the point I was trying to make about upgrading to a better IMHO suspension system was I knew going in that was what I wanted to do and at the time I had the money to do it. I know others do not have the means for that and need to get their issues dealt with in other ways. I guess I just was not as clear as I should have been as I was not trying to "throw stones" at anybody, as those who know me know that I have had my share of serious issues with my 5ers as well. Good luck with your healing and Have a Happy New Year.
PS - That is all I will say on this issue.

caissiel

This subject might get long but as an engineer I always have to be aware of all the economics, safety and practical reason to design equipment. When I was in the mine industry the designs were heavy and tuff, weight was not important. When I worked in the Paper industry it was design within the margin of safety because we used Stainless steel and price was 10 times steel. In the transport industry the designs are within the margin of safety for sure and I can easily prove it.
You are not driving a 6000 lbs car because the shocks and springs might break someday. The cars weight is important for safety and economic factors. I always said the a light car will last years longer then any heavier ones. My 2000 lbs VW lasted miles behound my F250. But don't ask it to perform the same work. So RV's are design for a Max GVW and 65 MPH and we try to go the limit and then complain. I feel we are well served by the RV industry and we have to use our able judgement to repair the parts that do fail. Everything we add extra makes the RV heavier and carrying capacity is reduced. I am glad my F250 can haul my unit and that its as big as any apartment I could rent. More like towing a house.