Looking at cyclone 4150, who has one or similar

Hey guys
looking at a cyclone 4150 this will be our first "big rig". Any thing you love or would change with it or similar. Also what are towing with.
thanks Guys

jimtoo

HI Seantsm2001,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions from our Cyclone family soon. I would definitely recommend a 1 ton dually tow vehicle.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Towing?? No less than a one ton DRW. Needs to be a 2011 or newer of the big 3 because of the heavy pin weight. A 4150 has a GVW of 20K. Remember the empty weight IS NOT what you need to be concerned about. Only the GVW on the yellow sticker on the CY door frame and the total GVW of the total rig loaded for travel. You could be pushing close to 30K depending on the truck and how heavy you load it and with a pin weight of 4K or more. It will be a heavy rig.

BTW, here in Socal....you would have to have a non-commercial CDL for you to be legal to drive it. Just things to ponder.

Dloebrich

We have a Cyclone 4000. Here is what I know: We tow with a 2013 Chevy 1 ton dually. Avg 10 MPG with the Duramax 6.6. Firestone air bags on the truck. 5th airborne air bag pin box. Order your unit with Goodyear G-114 tires or plan on replacing the factory supplied tires. We added a hardwire rear view camera system and a TPMS. Replaced the factory mattress with a Sealy we bought at the local furniture store. Third A/C comes in very handy The rear patio is great. Our first trip was May 2014 and since then we have been from PA to CA to FLA and many points in between. 12,000 miles total. Have had some issues but all taken care of by the factory. Our experience has been good. In PA you need a non-commercial CDL. Most people don't know or care about it but I got mine because if we are in a crash I'm guessing the accident attorneys will know about it.

Bob&Patty

Yes and would probably not pay off and you can only hope no one was injured or worse.

Awesome thanks so much. Yea we actually looked at the 4000 and where set on it till we say the bathroom size of the 4150. I have 3 females so I need the bathroom space lol. But our living rooms are the same. Thanks for all the info

- - - Updated - - -

Hardwood rear camera is that to the camper or truck. What camera do screem
did you get.
thanks

oscar

1 ton Dually with Diesel recent model MINIMUM.

Air hitch, pin box or preferably both.

Look hard at tires. G or preferably F rated.

Airbags on rear axle to level.

So far without camera..... GOAL (Get Out And Look).

Yes, look into licensing required in your state.

(There's no such thing as a non commercial CDL..... that's a COMMERCIAL drivers license. There ARE non commercial class A's or B's. You may need an A, depending on where you live)

avvidclif

1 ton Dually with Diesel recent model MINIMUM.

Air hitch, pin box or preferably both.

Look hard at tires. G or preferably F rated.

Airbags on rear axle to level.

So far without camera..... GOAL (Get Out And Look).

Yes, look into licensing required in your state.

(There's no such thing as a non commercial CDL..... that's a COMMERCIAL drivers license. There ARE non commercial class A's or B's. You may need an A, depending on where you live)

On tires I think you have them backwards. F or preferably G. It's kinda a moot point as I think the new ones come with Sailuns which are G rated. If it's dealer stock check the tires and make sure it doesn't have blowmax.

X2 on non commercial CDL, No such animal. I converted mine to a Class A.

Bob&Patty

Sorry but in Ca. its a non-commercial class A CDL. Just so you know you are not required to take a physical. The drive test is still the same and a 200 question written test.

Robert_P

Bought our 4150 last year about this time and no major issues yet. Immediately swapped the tires to Goodyear G614's (no sizing/ space problems). Once you handle those towmax tires unmounted you will see why everyone is scared of them! I would not trust them on a light utility trailer much less 20k. The G614's are much heavier and do not flex in the turns near as bad. Our TV is a 2015 GMC 1 ton DRW CC with the B&W companion hitch. I would go with the same if doing over. The truck/ trailer sits nicely leveled and spring load does not require air bags, although might be an addition later down the line. My next add is likely a camera system off rear view safety website. It's a lot of trailer and a good bit of swing behind the axles. Best of luck.

Power-Stroke

@Seantsm2001
We have a 4200 and tow with a Ram 3500 and BW Companion hitch. Prior to the Ram, I towed with a 2015 F350 with Reese Elite. Both tow without excitement! I'm sure a GM 3500 would also do the job.

What would I change.... hmmm! I'll start with what the options I'm glad we have. Double pane windows and residential refrigerator! We had a 4100 that did not have either and I appreciate the difference. Could be all in my mind, but outside noise seems to be less with the double pane windows, not to mention helping with summer cooling. We also chose the yeti package... haven't needed the tank warmers yet, but they are there if we need them. I would also highly recommend going with 3 AC units. These RVs are large units to cool and it's nice to have the extra capacity; especially during the summer months. (We discovered this camping near Destin, Fl last July... can you say HOT!!) Make sure the ACs are ducted with each other. We also opted for the all vent fans to be fantastic fans with remote switches... more of a preference than a necessity, but they move a lot of air. We added stackable washer/dryer. Don't use a lot, but it's nice when you need them. (Note:if you opt for washer/dryer, I highly recommend a "vented" dryer. I've had both and would not ever consider a non-vented dryer again) Final piece we added was roof mounted satellite (Direct TV). Again, not necessary, but nice to have.

I'm not sure you will need to change the tires, unless you really want to. Our 4100 came with the infamous TowMax and I immediately replaced them with Michelin XP Rib. Our 4200 came with Sailun and they have proven themselves (to me) over the last 5000 miles. I believe Heartland has stopped using TowMax, but you will definitely need to verify (TowMax=insurance claim).

There are some nit picky things that I would change, but I'm in the process of making these changes myself. I suppose it's all part of making it "yours". Examples.... I've labeled the dump tank valves for easy identification. I've taken down the basement walls and "tidied"up the cable management. I would also recommend roof covers for your fans; makes using the fans less exciting in the wind and rain. The most recent change was I had MorRyde change the suspension to a more "beefy" version and I also had disc brakes installed. While neither are absolutely necessary, in my very humble opinion, these additions should be considered... especially the disc brakes. These trailers are very heavy and stopping them at highway speeds is a priority (or at least should be). There is NO comparison between the factory electric drum brakes and the disc brakes (especially when mountain towing).

Overall, we've had great experiences with both our 4100 and 4200. There are always folks that have a "less" than positive experience. Our dealer has been great as well as Heartland's customer service. This user forum is another strong support community and it's be fabulous. I also visited the factory where Heartland builds their toyhaulers. I was actually apprehensive at first because I was worried I would see a "crappy" job. It was very much the opposite!

Good Luck,
Jay

avvidclif

Trick question of the day. When is a Class A CDL (Commercial Drivers License) not a Commercial Drivers License? When in California obviously.