Looking for a good Digital camera

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
How important are the effective pixel numbers? It seems 10.0 million is about average but there are a few higher priced camreas that have less effective pixels than some lower priced.

If I understand what I was reading at dpreview.com, the pixel number is the major number that controls the quailty of the picture....or did i not understand that right?

Moose

How important are the effective pixel numbers? It seems 10.0 million is about average but there are a few higher priced camreas that have less effective pixels than some lower priced.

If I understand what I was reading at dpreview.com, the pixel number is the major number that controls the quailty of the picture....or did i not understand that right?

You read it correctly. Pixels is a measure of the resolution so to speak. The more pixels per given area the higher the quality or resolution of the picture. The only down side is the size of the files. But with the price of memory cards these days it is a non issue.

danemayer

Pixel count is a quick and dirty way to evaluate picture quality. HOWEVER, the sensor size also comes into play. If the mfg packs 10M pixels into the same sensor they used for 6M pixels, the result is an image that has noise and other issues when you zoom in, or shoot at higher ISO settings. DPReview.com's feature finder includes a selection for pixel density, which lets you exclude overcrowded sensors from your search.

Quality of the glass is also critical to good picture quality. If you don't mind spending the money for a really good lens, a DSLR with interchangeable lens may be the way to go. But DLSR controls can be very intimidating, so you may find it hard to ever get out of AUTO mode.

With respect to color and other characteristics of a great photo, you may want to shift part of your budget into software. Spend $300 on Adobe Lightroom software which lets you manage and tweak your pictures (either RAW or JPG). While it's important to get a good picture out of the camera, Lightroom lets you quickly make adjustments that will make the picture stand out. Lightroom uses the same internal engine as Photoshop, but has a user interface that's aimed at photographers. There are plenty of free tutorials on using Lightroom.

Peteandsharon

Larry,

One other point about number of pixels. Don't get overly hung up about that number. Up to a point it is very true that more pixels means a better more detailed picture. However there is a threshold where your eye cannot tell them apart. Where that really comes into play is if you decide to blow up a picture to make it a large portrait of it or whatever. As you make the picture larger you start to see the difference. Fewer pixels means that the details get spread apart when you enlarge the picture. That is when you start seeing grainy pictures if the camera is skimpy on pixels. But in standard size pictures I would challenge you to really see any difference between a 10 megapixel camera vs. say an 18 megapixel camera.

Secondly I'd second Dan's comment about the software. I had mentioned it myself earlier. It not only helps the picture but it's fun to go in and doctor up the images. Invariably I'll take a picture which for all my best intentions is a little too dark or too light or maybe I don't like the color balance. You can fix all that in the software and then save the doctored image like you took it that way in the first place. Makes you look like a better photgrapher than you really are. He mentioned Lightroom and Photoshop but you can also get a skinnied down version of Photoshop which has the important essentials of Photoshop at a much more reasonable price. I would consider it.

Pete

Hunter

Newby
May I suggest going to youtube.com and searching the various camera's that you are looking for. There are lots of videos out there that explain the different cameras.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkg7pAxi4gE
talks about the Nikon D3s vs Canon EOS 1D Mark IV - both top of the line cameras

If you are looking on training .. http://www.kelbytraining.com/ They have free previews.

If you are going to an SLR Camera, make sure you are happy with the brand of camera you choose, as lenses are not interchangeable within 99.9% of the brands. If you go Canon, you will more than likely continue with Canon, as it is too expensive to switch over.

We started with Nikon lenses, so, we are sticking with Nikon and Fuji as these 2 camera's will take Nikon lenses. We have a variety of SLR's including the D3S, Fuji S5, D300, etc

A ten megapixel camera will be more than enough if you don't want large prints. Even if you want large prints, you can take a number of pictures and stitch them together to create a picture that can be as large as you want.

Things to look for:
(1) good glass (lenses are important)
(2) Vibration reduction - needed if you are taking telephoto pictures
(3) Do you want to take pictures in low light situations (with or without a flash), if so you want to make sure it will take a good quality picture in those situations
(4) Do you want a flash on the camera .. or will you be happier with an off camera flash
(5) If you go with a SLR - may I suggest the Tamron 28 to 300 lens it now comes with vibration reduction and it is a nice light lens and not too expensive (My husband prefers his 28 to 300 Nikon lens w/vibration reduction - but it is heavier and more $$$)
(6) Weight can be a problem for some people. I carry 2 cameras when I am out birding .. one with a Tamron 200-500 and one with my 28-300, so I am ready for any situation.
(7) If you go with an SLR - does Tamron, Sigma or other lens companies make a lens mount that will fit your camera (These lenses can be less expensive than your brand made lenses.)

Remember when you buy your camera, you more than likely want a camera bag, tripod, lens cleaner, Photoshop Elements (or some other program) etc, so keep some of the money for these extras.

Have fun looking, it is almost as much as the first time you hold the camera in your hands and take that first picture.

szewczyk_john

Someone mentioned picture file size and that is a good point. Should you decide to with a SLR style camera, I would suggest spending some of your budget on a microdrive instead of cards. The microdrive is a pricey option but can store a ton more pictures than any card and those pictures can be of the highest resolution and pixel format. That said, the microdrive is a tiny disc drive that has moving parts where a card does not. I've used my Cannon with a micro drive for years with no problems.

SouthernNights

Thanks again for everyones input. I have found some really good down to earth tutorial sites.
One of the best ones for where I am at in photography knowledge right now is homephotog.com.
Between that and wikipedia I am starting to understand the nomenclature.

I now know a couple of things I did not know prior to starting this:

1. I want a much better picture than our little HP pocket camera can take.

2. I think I want to be a "lazy" photographer. In other words, more automatic than manual. That might be because of my lack of knowledge/experience. Someone suggested to buy a lower end camera and then move up after a little experience. Great advice.

3.I do want a built in zoom similar to the Fujifilm HS10 like Alan usues.

4. Our budget is more than realistic. I think part of it will be used for a camera, part for software and still have some left over to save and use later if I think we need to upgrade.

5. The camera needs to be relatively light and very dust proof and rugged. It will be used in a few unfriendly enviroments-from windy beaches to construction sites.

6. And finally=some one brought up batteries. I never would have thought about that until it was too late. I do not want something that has propritary batteries. I have enough stuff like that. Any one into battery hand tools knows what a pain that is.

Thank you again to everyone who posted. While I really dont understand alot of what you are saying yet, it gives me things to go and do research on, things I never would have thought of.

2010augusta

Someone mentioned picture file size and that is a good point. Should you decide to with a SLR style camera, I would suggest spending some of your budget on a microdrive instead of cards. The microdrive is a pricey option but can store a ton more pictures than any card and those pictures can be of the highest resolution and pixel format. That said, the microdrive is a tiny disc drive that has moving parts where a card does not. I've used my Cannon with a micro drive for years with no problems.

This might have been true in 2005, but with modern SD and HCSD card the microdrive is outdated. HCSD card write faster, are available in much higher capacities (up to 32Gb) and can be used anywhere, microdrives have problems at high altitudes. Most new cameras do not have a CF slot so microdrives are not even an option.

porthole

Retired
Whew - lot of Q's lot of A's.

For 2K you can have a fantastic system that would seem to be over your ability.
Nothing personal there, but you mentioned what you were looking for and the high end cams would be overkill for your goals.

That said - for 2K - the Nikon D7000 and the 18-200VR lens, nothing better on the market right now for under 10K. The excellent 18-200 is a bit heavy and $$$ but a really good all-around lens.

But for a pocket cam the Canon IS95 is great (<400)

Canons pocket cams are really nice little digitals. We are using one that Deb found last year coming back from Hatteras. The pictures dated in the camera were almost 2 weeks old – so it sat that long outside.

We used it for almost 2 months off and on before the battery went dead. Ordered a battery and charger off ebay for $15 delivered.

Micro drives are no longer practical – solid state all the way (SD – CF cards etc)

Batteries – if you limit yourself to standard batteries, e.g. AA or AAA you will have very limited choices.
Just get a second “factory” battery.

Nikon digitals – most can use every lens Nikon has ever made (although not all the features will work on older lenses)

Canon changed their mount years ago forcing photogs to change lens systems. After all – it is more about the lens then the camera. And neither take great pictures – photographers do.

Ken Rockwell's site is a wealth of information along with the above mentioned DPReview. Rockwell goes more into the photography end.

He tends to get hung up on good old fashioned film but still offers great info.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/
Check Ken’s site for samples of pics with the Canon IS95

Pixels-schmixels.
A 16MB pixel cam will not necessarily take better pics then an 8MB cam. There is a ton of stuff going on inside a digital camera and it is not just pixel size.

You also want the ability to take video?
That will change your choice. But – you either get a digital camera that takes video or a video camera that takes stills. They both do one thing good and one thing maybe OK.

The Sony digital cams are also a nice choice.

As for buying, I have had good luck with Amazon. We had problems with a camera I got for Deb. First was defective, exchanged no problem. Replacement turned out to just not work to our liking, also returned with no issues.

Costco is another great choice if they have what you seek.

If you get anything more than a simple point and shoot, learn how to use it then start “learning” how to use it.

BTW – did you know that Canon and Nikon are not really camera companies?
They are lens companies that just happen to make cameras!

porthole

Retired
I also have an SB 600 flash for the Nikon that is very nice (but $$$).

Jim, The 600 is a pretty good flash. I have a pair of SB-800's, they are really good too and work together with the camera for slave operation - built in.

But the flash I use most is the SB-400. You should get one. I guarantee you will use it probably 50-1 over your big 600.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Produ...6/SB-400-Speedlight-Unit.html?sviReviewPage=2

I'll have it at the rally. You are welcome to pop it on and run the batteries down (2-AA)'s.

jpajax

Proof is in the pudding here are some photos with the Fuji s1800 all photos are just as they came out of camera. Even the panorama one. The camara uses 4aa batterys. It has the capabilty of excepting a broad range of add on lens. It cost about $170.00 or less.:cool:

Attachments

• DSCF0037.jpg
    DSCF0037.jpg
    994 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF0038.jpg
    DSCF0038.jpg
    957.1 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF0040.jpg
    DSCF0040.jpg
    893.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF0047.jpg
    DSCF0047.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 21

SouthernNights

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Just a follow up...i ended up deciding on the Fujifilm HS10. I ordered it from Amazon (17th Street Photo) and recieved it today. I have to say I am very pleased with the decision.
The 30x zoom is incredible. The zoom is one of the reasons I went this way.

Two other main reasons were the face recognition and the motion removal option. I dont like alot people in my pictures, this takes them out automatically if needed.

Also, this canmera is way below my original budget. My thinking was to get used to use to a camera like this and learn all the settings. If at that point I think I need something more then at least I will have a better idea of what to look for.

2010augusta

Larry we'll have to compare notes after a few months and see our learning curves are coming. I took some shots of the sunrise this morning and I'm please with the pics, fairly low noise for the most part.

DSCF1144.JPG

DSCF1138.jpgDSCF1142 [1024x768].JPGDSCF1143 [1024x768].JPGDSCF1141 [1024x768].JPG

SouthernNights

Wow, beautiful picture Alan. Love the little cloud on top of the mountain.
You will have to give me more than a few months to catch up with your expertise though...maybe a couple of years???

SouthernNights

Finally got a chance to use the camera for what it was intended for.
These are the first few pics. Love the detail even when you blow up the picture.
005.jpg006.jpg

porthole

Retired
OK - you show some alligatoring on in an attic near a chimney - what is the story behind them?
And why are only some boards burnt?

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
OK - you show some alligatoring on in an attic near a chimney - what is the story behind them?
And why are only some boards burnt?

Looks like a house that had a chimney fire and someone elected not to spend a few hundred dollars more.

SouthernNights

Looks like a house that had a chimney fire and someone elected not to spend a few hundred dollars more.

Good guess. House is over 100 years old. There is no record of a fire at the house. All the rafters are rough cut 2X 6 and the sheathing is which is a full 1 by is intact. if there was a fire, it was at least 70 years ago when rough cut was still being used. A guess would be the fire happened during WWII when lumber was hard to get here.Rafters would of had to be replaced but they may not have been granted enough lumber to replace the windbeams. There is another set of windbeams just above the charred ones that are full 1 by.
There is another strong back on the other side of the house that is charred just as bad and yet the stiff knees aren't.
I love old houses and what they had to do years ago
The back story is my attorney called me late friday and this house is a short sale. Looked at it on Saturday and found this. What it comes down to is good leverage with the bank.

Still playing with the camera and learning. Took some pictures from the backyard today including the moon. Really enjoying this but I have to admit I have not taken it off of automatic other than for a couple of panaramic shots. All these buttons are very intimidating. It real be a slow process I think.
001.jpg003.jpg

2010augusta

here is an example of learning the importance of manual settings. The bright picture was taken at full auto(1/8 sec shutter & f5.6) the other was on full manual with 1/80 sec shutter and f11 appature.
DSCF1162.JPG

DSCF1163.JPG