Looking for a good Digital camera

kkamshop

Hey photo guys, I am looking for a better point and shoot than my 6 year old Sony Cyber-Shot. Any suggestions?

A camping buddy has a Panasonic Lumix Z35 that takes nice pictures - any opinions on that one?

Not planning on becoming a prize-winning photographer, but want something that will take a better zoom shot than the one I have now. Must have a fairly large viewing screen for my old lady eyes. :)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Kathy, I think any of the better brands would be a good choice. I prefer something with at least an optical viewfinder for outdoors. Image stabilization is also a good feature. I currently have a Canon Power Shot A590. It's a bit older but a good point & shoot.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I have a Fujifilm SD2700 that has done well for me. I used nothing but Nikon equipment when I was taking police photos, but that was on a city budget.

porthole

Retired
My "moon", the 18 year "waxing gibbous"
The oblong shape is due to the atmosphere. The moon is about 10 degrees off the horizon in this picture

Attachments

• Moon_03-20-11_11_c.jpg
    Moon_03-20-11_11_c.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 16

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
My "moon", the 18 year "waxing gibbous"
The oblong shape is due to the atmosphere. The moon is about 10 degrees off the horizon in this picture
Cool shot. I was going to do the same here but we have had clouds for the last few days.

nscaler2

It depends on just how much creative flexibility you want in the camera, as to which one would be best for you. I have used a Canon Rebel XT DSLR for years and have been very pleased with it. I also like to shoot videos so I also have been packing around a Sony HD camcorder. We are taking a cruise to Alaska and I didn't want to pack both cameras and their large camera bags. I did some research and came up with the Sony NEX-5 camera. It is what some would call a bridge camera. It is considerably smaller than a full size DSLR, but has an image sensor that if a full APS C size which is the size used in all but the most expensive DSLRs. I also takes HD videos in 1080i resolution, so it is a still camera as well as a great video camera. The NEX-5 with 18-55mm zoom lense runs near $700.00. I ordered one for the Alaska trip and have been playing around with it for about a month now, before we leave. WOW!!!! It is really good. The still pictures are easily as good if not better than the ones from my Canon DSLR and the videos are great too. It is so good I am tempted to sell off all the other stuff we have and just carry the Sony NEX-5 around. The only down side is that it seems to like battery power. So I ordered an additional battery from Amazon. It is a ZEIKOS NP_FW50. It costs about $20.00 instead of the $60.00 that Sony gets for theirs. It works perfectly also. Here is a link to Sony's site for the camera. http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666192672 Just Google it and you can find many retailers as reviews for it. I hope this helps. Everybody likes or needs something different. This one has greatly simplified my photography needs without giving up quality.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I just upgraded Linda's camera from a $69 Kodak that was just alright to a Nikon S8100 which is really nice. It was on sale at Best Buy online and the store matched their online price of $224.99. Very nice camera and Linda is very happy.

Mark

porthole

Retired
I have found with both Nikon and Sony that there is a difference betwween no name and "named" batteries.

I have also found that great DSLR's can take good video and that great video cams can take good pics, but combo units still have a ways to go before they do both video and still great.