Looking for a new job

Ladiver

After my day today, I am ready to walk. Have any of you just said enough is enough and left? I work in IT and and am ready to leave California. It would be tough to leave friends and family, but I have to assume the job market would be better outside of California.

Any recommendations for where to move? Where is there a decent job market that is close to water (oceans or lakes)? The weather has to be good for gardening, plus the wife hates the cold.

Anyone here looking for IT staff?

Jeff

danemayer

I think McKinney, TX is a pretty hot job market. No ocean, but there are some large lakes.

And if you don't mind a bit of a commute, I think there's a nice house in Terrell that you can probably get a good deal on. Talk to TravelTiger.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Virginia has a pretty decent IT environment, especially if you have a clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Lol, thanks Dan! Yes our house is on the market. Dallas/Ft Worth has a wealth of IT positions. Terrell is commutable to DFW, 30 mi from downtown Dallas. Lots of Lakes in the area.

Only thing is the weather.... Lol!

JanAndBill

After my day today, I am ready to walk. Have any of you just said enough is enough and left? I work in IT and and am ready to leave California. It would be tough to leave friends and family, but I have to assume the job market would be better outside of California.

Any recommendations for where to move? Where is there a decent job market that is close to water (oceans or lakes)? The weather has to be good for gardening, plus the wife hates the cold.

Jeff

Huntsville, AL has been a stable IT job market. Government contracting, and now private sector manufacturing is heating up the area. Mild climate. About 7 hrs to the gulf, and 4 hours to the mountains, large lakes nearby. Cost of living still reasonable.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Denver, Colorado . . . mountains 15 minutes away . . . we have water . . . but no oceans!

Plus we have an awesome Heartland Owners Club!

wdk450

Jeff

Jeff:
Have you looked around for possible IT jobs with hospitals/hospital systems? The jobs are stable, the benefits good, and with the the increasing integration of paperless patient charting, filmless imaging, and integration of the bedside patient monitors with the patient charting system, there are a lot 1's and 0's flying around hospital wiring. Besides that, you are supporting life and health.

lynndiwagoner

The Houston, TX are fits your bill. Close to beaches, fairly warm in the winter, no State income tax, plenty of jobs.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader

Jeff

Don't come to Santa Fe, New Mexico. No water, no jobs, corrupt government and it gets real cold in the winter (7,000 feet). But my wife and I love it and would not want to live anywhere else. Just make sure you bring your own money to live.

kowAlski631

Jeff

Check out SC. We have warm weather (maybe a few cold days in the winter), but lots to do. Friendly people, laid back atmosphere, we love it here.

jimtoo

Check out San Antonio, Texas. The town is just exploding with new business and expansion of others. A lot of larger companies moving headquarters to SA.

SA is on the edge of the Texas hill country, beautiful country drives, all kinds of great places to eat, and lots of history and camping. Not to far from the Gulf Coast, nice beaches, fishing and gulf fishing and diving.

Jim M

mikeandconnie

Check out the oil company's on the Gulf. Two weeks on/off and live anywhere you wish. Pensacola and Fort Walton Beach \Emerald Coast is one of our favorites places on the Pan Handle.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yep, I recall getting fed up and bored with what I was doing. Solution: they came up with an early retirement package and I couldn't say **** YES! any quicker.

Ladiver

Yep, I recall getting fed up and bored with what I was doing. Solution: they came up with an early retirement package and I couldn't say **** YES! any quicker.

Wish I could get early retirement in my 30's, LOL. I have been here for 15 years, so I have a nice profit sharing account. I just see the future and it does not look too good.

Ladiver

We were in North Carolina in October and loved the area. We have talked about Colorado and Wyoming, but TX with no income tax could be nice!

@mikeandconnie, I hate to admit, but I probably couldn't cut it in the oil fields. I have not really taken to hard manual labor. Though, it would be nice being outdoors for a change. Plus, two weeks on/off would be awesome.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
but TX with no income tax could be nice!

The cost of living is cheaper too it TX. I've seen a number of CA folks come here because they sell their postage stamp in CA for $600k, and buy a 4500sqft mansion in TX for $500k.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I guess all things are relative, each location has it's good and not so good. I was ready to buy a new home in Palo Duo Canyon a few years back. Over looking the canyon with an acre of land. The price range was in the $600,000 range and when I went to the county to check on property tax, I got a shock of my life.....$10,000 per year. That is $833 a month for tax even after you pay the home off. I don't consider that an inexpensive place to live when you are retired.
So still in AZ and while property tax here is expensive, not near as bad as what I experienced in Texas.

MagnoliaTom

Check out San Antonio, Texas. The town is just exploding with new business and expansion of others. A lot of larger companies moving headquarters to SA.

SA is on the edge of the Texas hill country, beautiful country drives, all kinds of great places to eat, and lots of history and camping. Not to far from the Gulf Coast, nice beaches, fishing and gulf fishing and diving.

Jim M

Love San Antonio! Wish I could move there. I would but my in laws just moved in with us. I built them a casita (in law suite) onto our house so I'll be in northwest Houston for a while. I like Houston but it's hard to beat the hill country

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Wish I could get early retirement in my 30's, LOL. I have been here for 15 years, so I have a nice profit sharing account. I just see the future and it does not look too good.

Sounds like what a friend was telling me about the company he works for that is currently embroiled in a major recall. Unofficial word being passed around is to get their resume's printed up quick.