looking for best water filter

Jackbaum

Would like to purch a small water filter to attach to the external water hose bringing water to the RV. Does anyone have a brand or type to recommend?
Do you recommend a type that must be replced in its entirety each year versus one with a filter insert?

Hunter11

If you are just using your trailer for weekend trips or a couple of longer trips per year I would go with one of the blue inline filters that CW or Walmart carry and replace once or twice a year. This is what we did before we started full timing. It was easy to hookup and store when not in use. Once we went full time I invested in a dual filter setup and a water softener. Hope this helps.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
I use the blue filter that yup can get at Wal-Mart. It works fine and I use it for about half the year or if not using the RV a lot I go the hole year using it.

Birchwood

We use a blue filter we purchase at WalMart for $12.Change it at 3 month intervals even though we are full timers.We only drink bottled water anyway so I guess we filter to rid of sediments.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Some people use the whole house type. They are the under sink mount sold at HD and Lowes. They are 1/2 the price as the same ones at CW. I hard mounted 2 of them inside the UCD and they work peachy and being clear plastic...you can see whne they need replacing. 2 replacement filter cartridges are $10 and I change them every 6 months. I do however use 2 different micron sizes/types and cant tell any difference in water pressure.

SeattleLion

I use two whole house filters (1 micron and then 1/2 micron carbon). They feed a whole house pressure reducer which then goes to our trailer. I got all of them at rvwaterfilters.com. The prices are fair, they assemble everything and it works very well. Since many campgrounds use less-than-great water, we find this combination gives us such good water that we no longer carry bottled water. The problems with the blue filters are that they have a pretty low flow rate which makes for disappointing showers etc. They also only filter larger particles and allow chlorine and heavy metals to pass through. The pressure regulator you buy at an RV store also has a flow problem. We were amazed by how much better everything is with the new high flow filters and regulator. If you use any "Y" connectors, be sure to get high flow too.

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
We do a single whole house. Also purchased a Filtrete gallon pitcher for water which has worked very nicely for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garypowell

Just like several above we have whole home 2 canister (from big box) and pressure regulator in plastic box. I use quick disconnects so box sits in back of truck while hose is wrapped around ladder.

Box has extra spigot for other outside use....

CurtSCH

Any buddy have a good option for a water pressure regulator that I can adjust. Seems like the standard 25PSI ones just have to little pressure. but I have had a leak issue with to high of pressure at some rv parks

danemayer

Any buddy have a good option for a water pressure regulator that I can adjust. Seems like the standard 25PSI ones just have to little pressure. but I have had a leak issue with to high of pressure at some rv parks
Hi CurtSCH,

You don't necessarily need an adjustable regulator; you need one that has good water flow, while it regulates the pressure. The cheap regulators keep the pressure at 40psi, but may allow less than 1 gallon per minute of flow. Some people have found the more expensive non-adjustable regulator at Camping World has a good flow rate. Another option is the Watts 263A adjustable regulator. You can get it from the RVWaterFilter.com store. They also have a good explanation of the difference between water pressure and flow.

SeattleLion

I have the larger adjustable regulator from RVwaterfilters.com. It's great. It has a flow rate of at least 5gpm. It has made a big difference for us.