Losing 12volt power to interior when shore unplugged

dagwood9

Battery is good slide outs work but lose lights and fridge if i unplug. There are no fuses by the battery and shut off switch and no red lights in panel. Before i start taking things apart to trace thought maybe some had this problem and could help.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It would be great if we knew what model rig you had.
But I'll try anyway.
You need to find a bank of small breakers, usually covered up with some red rubber caps.
Feel along the side of them and one should have a tiny reset button. Push it. Tiny.
Let us know what you find.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Here's some add'l info.

The attached pictures show the breaker/bussbar Dave mentioned. Yours may not look exactly like these, but they'll be near your battery.

Link to 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostics Guide

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 33
  • circuitbreaker.jpg
    circuitbreaker.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 33
  • circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 21

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
I do not have this type. I have a simple lug strip like a buss bar for the hot and neutrals.

Off of the buss bar there has to be wires that go to circuit breakers. If you look at page 4 of the 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostics Guide that Dan sent you it shows the buss bar and then five 12 volt breakers that isolate all the 12 volt high current circuits. The fact that slides work means that the slide breaker is working fine. There is also a breaker between between the batteries and the converter. If this breaker was popped then you would have slides but not lights or any 12 volt appliance (not sure what your refrigerator runs on but you need 12 volts for a propane refrigerator to work). There has to be breakers in these circuits to protect your converter and slides. A bank of 12 volt batteries can produce enough power to arc weld and if you had a short it could cause major damage so breakers are not an option.

brianharrison

I would start by looking at the battery circuit. While plugged in to shore power the converter will provide 12V to DC panel, when unplugged it appears the battery is unable to provide 12V.

Use Dan's trouble shooting link in his post above.

You mention the battery is good - have you load tested the battery? There are cheap battery load testers to be had a parts stores. The battery may show good voltage when plugged in, but you should disconnect the battery, let it "rest" for 30 minutes and then test voltage.

My thought is the battery connection is bad, or loose connection on the positive wiring or negative wiring, preventing a closed circuit - check the connection to the frame as well - follow the negative battery cable back to where it is grounded on the trailer frame.

Hope this helps,
Brian