Loss of 12 volt power

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired
When we prepared to pull out this morning, the refrigerator would not switch to LP. Checked it and there was no 12 volt power. The switches in the kitchen switch cabinet also had no 12 volt power. When hooked to shore power, everything works. The slides will come in and out on 12 volts. The Level Up system works on 12 volts. When hooked to my truck and the truck running, the kitchen has no 12 volt power. The battery shows 13.6 volts. Any ideas?? Ken

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Loss of 12volt power

Just a thought, did you check the battery disconnect?

Peace
Dave

branson4020

Icantre Member

The 12V circuit breaker that feeds the fuse panel in the coach is tripped. Reset it and all will be well.

breakers.jpg

jbeletti

I agree with Dave - check the battery switch above the battery 1st.

Then look in the fuse panel for any red lights, indicating a blown fuse.

If they are all good, dig deeper. What else that is 12 volt DC powered is NOT working and what IS working.

You may need to pull the fuse panel and check the connections at the back.

Present your findings back here and let the team continue to assist you.

Jim

jbeletti

Never thought about that Bob. Landmark does have a couple manual resettable breakers. They are located to the right of the battery cut off switch. Feel underneath each of them for the reset.

That said, those are usually for high current individual items, like the awning, LevelUp etc.

Jim

krhyde

When hooked to shore power, everything works: Kitchen lights, refrigerator, tank level indicators, etc. Awning works, Lever Up works and Slides work. When UNhooked from shore power, Level Up works and Slides work; but Kitchen and awning do not work. I checked the battery disconnect switch and it is ON. I don't see any reset buttons on the circuit breakers. I'll pull the 12 volt fuse panel and check for loose wires. Why would some 12 volts circuits work and others not. There are no red lights indicating blown fuses in the 12 volt fuse panel. Ken

krhyde

Here's a picture of the circuit breakers. Ken

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 60

wdk450

Krhyde:
This thread sounds just like yours:
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...lt-DC-power?highlight=12+volt+circuit+breaker

Go to those DC breakers by the battery and disconnect switch, and really dig around under the red covers to find the tiny red reset buttons.

danemayer

I think this is how it works: When on shore power, the power converter has a direct connection to the 12V fuse box and everything works. The battery also has a connection to the 12V fuse box, by way of one of the resettable breakers, and thru the battery cutoff. When shore power is disconnected, the 12V coming off the battery supplies the power to the fuse box but can be interrupted if the breaker trips, or if you turn the cutoff switch.

The hydraulic pump and landing jacks draw a lot of current and have their own individual breakers. They are unaffected by that single breaker tripping.

I've attached a diagram that someone previously uploaded.

Attachments

• 12 V.pdf
    77.5 KB · Views: 50

krhyde

Found It!!! I was checking each of the circuit breakers for Ohms resistance and the fourth breaker from the left in the picture above should an open circuit. I kept feeling around for a button and finally found it. Reset it and now everything works. THANKS A MILLION for all the suggestions. You guys ROCK. Ken

On the issue of 12Volt loss, last year I had a similar problem.
I had to move my coach to another site, so with shore power hooked up, I retracted my slides and moved the rig.
When I got to my new site, I had not hooked up my shore power yet and tried to open my slides. They would not work.
Checked the batteries and had a full charge.
To make a long story short I found the problem to be in the ground buss, the connection point where all your White wires tie behind the battery box.
What they had done at the factory was use one (1) screw to ground the buss to the frame, and that screw had broken off, so I had no ground connection for my 12Volt.
The repair I did was to use two (2) screws to ground the buss, then added 2 additional wires from the buss to the coach frame.
The concern I had when I thought it over after the fact, was that with the loss of a 12Volt ground my Brake Away switch for the trailer brakes would not have worked.
I think this is an area that the factory should take a look at.
One little screw does not a good system make.

Hockster

========================================================================================================================================

brianharrison

The 12V circuit breaker that feeds the fuse panel in the coach is tripped. Reset it and all will be well.

View attachment 18057

Bob, you get to post the picture of the fuse panel feed main breaker (manual reset) once again. I am curious, what is the count for number of times you've posted this pictureto help people out? It seems like this may need a system redesign.

What is the reason for this being a manual reset and not auto reset? Anyone? Can this be incorporated into the main DC distribution panel if the manual reset is a code requirement? It would then be more accesible and "standardized" like a main breaker protecting a 120V panel (incorporated into the distribution panel). Thoughts?

Hmmmmm

Take care,
Brian