Lost my Vent Cover to Refrigertor

Oregon_Camper

Not sure how...but it was gone after pulling into our last spot. We were WAY out in the middle of nowhere, so I had to make a cover with cardboard and then two tension rods....it worked! Drove 140 miles today with it that way.

So...are they all one size or will I have to call Heartland tomorrow (today is Sunday) and see if they can ship me one. I'm sure it will cost me a pretty penny, due to the fact it will need to match our Full Body Paint job.

The crazy part is the two plastic connections pieces at the top appear to have zero damage. So I'm shocked that both could have come lose and the vent cover flown off as we drove down the road...???

Here is my temp solution..I angled the cardboard at the back to hopefully allow the wind to flow out. I turned the refrigerator off for the 140 mile trip.

vent.jpg

wdk450

Oregon Camper:
I hope you know that the free flow of cooling (heat exchange) air is VITAL to proper RV ammonia absorption refrigerator operation.

Secondly, I have been doing a lot of work on my two refrigerator vents, installing "helper" fans in each one of them. Well, on MY Heartland, the black twist lock devices are on the BOTTOM, not the top. This MAY explain why your vent cover possibly blew off. They are a standard RV part without the paint job, though: http://www.adventurerv.net/dometic-...rtsfeed_ppc&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Froogle

Every illustration in this Dometic Venting manual I found online shows the locks on the BOTTOM : http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/dometicventing.pdf

Attention Moderators: This Dometic venting manual might be a good addition to the Heartland Owners Library. Also, the manual on my Dometic NDR1292 is not in the library: http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/operating/ndr1292.pdf

RoadJunkie

We lost our FBP water heater door and Heartland will likely help you get the replacement part, but that's where their ability to help ends.  I contacted Carrera paint in Elkhart and there is not a standard template that will get you a painted replacement for your lost part.  I managed to find my water heater door, but Carrera would not guarantee a perfect line match to the existing graphics.  Best bet is a local paint job, with the coach present, to match the lines.  

Oregon_Camper

Oregon Camper:
I hope you know that the free flow of cooling (heat exchange) air is VITAL to proper RV ammonia absorption refrigerator operation.

Wow....thanks for all the great information!!

I should have said I removed the cardboard when we got to camp and BEFORE we started the refrigerator again. It looks silly with that big hole in the side of our painted RV...but that is life. :)

I'll head off the small RV dealer close to where we are camped...hopefully they will have a vent in stock. If not, I'll order one online, using your link.

Thanks again....

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Keep in mind that as a member of the HOC, you will get a 10% discount on parts ordered from Heartland Parts.

alexb2000

Man I feel your pain. When we picked up our new trailer we drove about 10 miles, got out to check the load and our refrigerator cover was gone. I turned around drove back to the dealer that was closing and took one off a trailer on the lot. I can only imagine what a hassle getting it to match up perfectly will be.

In our case I believe the cause was not securing it right after service, have you had any done recently?