Loud Frame Popping

BobnBet

We bought our 2013 Bighorn in October and have taken it out once for a month. We have a loud popping noise coming from the frame and from the landing gear. It seems to be worse with temperature change. It is very annoying, especially at night. I have noticed that our landing gear legs lean out at the bottom and that there is no cross support for the landing gears to keep the frame from twisting outward. Is there a reason why there is no cross support there?

danemayer

Hi BobnBet,

If you search the forum, you'll find many threads on this subject. The problem is with the Lippert auto-leveling system landing gear. It's thought that there are micro-movements (probably temperature related). When on concrete, the pad can't move easily, popping when it does move.

At the North American Rally in Gillette last June, the Lippert Rep told us they are investigating this and trying to find a solution. People who have been following up with Lippert report that so far, they haven't got it figured out.

Here are some suggestions:

Call Lippert directly to get a case opened. The thought is that if you run out of warranty before they have a fix, the open case should cover your warranty claim when they do have a fix.

Some of us have noticed that the popping is worse when the landing gear is extended further. Putting down a stack of 2x12 boards, or other type of leveling blocks shortens the extension and may help.

Some have had success (some not so much) puting down inexpensive plastic cutting boards from Walmart ($1-2 price range). The cutting board seems to allow micro-movement of the jacks alleviating the noise.

jayc

Legendary Member
To echo Dan's reply, this has been going on for some time and affects several different brands including Heartland. The only way that I have found to lessen the popping is to park on a softer surface; dirt, grass or gravel. The last time I spoke with a representative from Lippert, he said that they are "very close to a solution".

MCTalley

I wanted to add that I always see this in relation to the auto-leveling system. This also occurs on our unit with only the two front hydraulic jacks.

On ours, we haven't heard a creak or pop since putting a plastic "Lego Block" leveling block under each of our landing gear pads. And we've been through some wild temperature fluctuations.

guyc66

I have a 2011 Grand Canyon with the auto leveling system and fortunately have not experienced this popping noise issue. I'm not sure why after reading so many comments from others having problems, but there may be some truth about placing blocks under the landing pads. I made some blocks out of 2x12 (doubled up) for a nominal thickness of 3 inches placed under each landing pad. I have used them from the time we got her home and may be a contributing factor why we have never heard the popping. It's worth a try.....

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have a 2011 Grand Canyon with the auto leveling system and fortunately have not experienced this popping noise issue. I'm not sure why after reading so many comments from others having problems, but there may be some truth about placing blocks under the landing pads. I made some blocks out of 2x12 (doubled up) for a nominal thickness of 3 inches placed under each landing pad. I have used them from the time we got her home and may be a contributing factor why we have never heard the popping. It's worth a try.....

I've made the same blocks as described above. I plan on taking it a step farther when we get back up north and making the blocks with an angle matching the landing legs.

I've tried all of the recommendations. Even used teflon pin box lube plates. It is definitly related to how far the jacks are extended. What works best is a set of automotive jack stands. I no longer leave the trailer setting on the hydraulic jacks the same as I would never work under a motor vehicle sitting on a hydraulic jack. I only have hydraulic landing jacks on my 2012 Big Country. That doesn't help anyone with the auto leveling system.