Low point drains

Hello,

New to this site. I have a new 2011 Grand Canyon. My question is , do most Landmarks have a low point drain ?????...Mine does not.
I have already extended the fresh water tank drain....it was in the middle underneath by the axles.

Love the rig

jimtoo

Hi GrandCanyon11,

Welcome too the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share and help if needed.

I am not sure, but I think the low point drains have been eliminated on just about all the units, because they would freeze and then cause a problem before anything else.

Someone that knows for sure will jump in here soon.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

danemayer

Our 2011 Rushmore has a drain on the off-door side, just in front of the axles. If I open the valve, water comes out. So despite a number of comments on the forum that the low point drains have been eliminated, there seems to be one on our Landmark.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The one drain that is present is for the fresh water tank. There are no longer separate low point drains for the hot and cold lines. Water is cleared out of those when you do your winterization, either with compressed air, anti-freeze, or both.

4ever

I also have a 2011 Grand Canyon and there are no low point drains. Heratland has stopped putting in the low point drains. If you properly winterize there is no need for them.

Ted

jjwink

Our 2011 Rushmore has its fresh water tank drain in the same place --middle underneath between wheels. What were they thinking? To make matters worse we have a leak where the drain it attached to the tank. Not sure how to attack this problem.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
"Our 2011 Rushmore has a drain on the off-door side, just in front of the axles. If I open the valve, water comes out. So despite a number of comments on the forum that the low point drains have been eliminated, there seems to be one on our Landmark. "

That is not a low point drain...that's the drain for your fresh water tank...

Willym

Our 2011 Rushmore has its fresh water tank drain in the same place --middle underneath between wheels. What were they thinking? To make matters worse we have a leak where the drain it attached to the tank. Not sure how to attack this problem.

Your "leak" may be water coming out of the underbelly. Road water can get in through openings and accumulate at the belly low point, which on my rig is where the FW tank drain tank pokes through. Agree this is a dumb place for the drain.

OK, Ted, what is the proper procedure? We camp in the winter and need to protect from freezing temps from one weekend to the next. If there is not a low point drain, what is the best way to leave it? Drain the lines or put antifreeze in? Also, should we empty the water heater?
What else should we do?
Thank you.

Frank

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Frank, I would and do use antifreeze in the lines. Like others have said in your othe thread, releive the pressure in the water heater and drain it. Then use 2 to 3 gallons of pink RV antifreeze. takes about 10 minutes to complete the job. Or like others have said blow the lines out with compressed air. You have only two choices. I prefer the pink stuff.

Peace
Dave

2010augusta

Frank, if you are winterizing more than a couple times a year, consider using compressed air to blow out all the water from the lines.

Drain the ice-maker line and water-heater.

jjwink

We did actually have a leak-a connection to/from the fresh water tank not properly tightened. The tech dropped the underbelly to find it and all the wet insulation. Tightened the leaking line; replaced ALL the insulation and put it all back together. Still don't know what the designers were thinking to put this drain so far under the unit and between the axels. It is very difficult to reach.

bozo

Our 2011 Rushmore has a drain on the off-door side, just in front of the axles. If I open the valve, water comes out. So despite a number of comments on the forum that the low point drains have been eliminated, there seems to be one on our Landmark.

I agree with danemayer we Have a 2011 21 FBS North Trial and it has three low point drains. Hot and Cold under the left rear corner and Fresh Water behind the steps.

bozo

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That drain that you are seeing on the off door side is the fresh water tank drain.
There used to be two more drains on the door side that were the low point drains. These have been eliminated on the big rigs.

Peace
Dave

Wrdherm

Ok guys now I am not stupid but how in the heck are people draining the holding tanks under the cyclone because the low point drain thats in front of the axles only drained my cyclone down to about 1/3 of the way and I twisted the camper and towed the camper with it open for several hundred miles .......Is anyone else having issues with draining there fresh water tanks.......

jpajax

I don't have a camper like yours but I did wonder why they stopped with the low point drains. Then I look behind the basement wall to see this, now were is the lowest point. When they stopped running the water lines along the top of the floor and went to this mess there is no way to find a low point. Just put the pink stuff in or blow the lines out. Also you can put a plug in the hot water tank with a peacock valve in it to drain the hot water tank without unscrewing the plug.

Attachments

• PICT0959.jpg
    PICT0959.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 36

bikerbob

Hi, On my 2011 24RBS there are two petcock valves at left front under trailer. I open them and sum water came out not a lot. I checked my fresh water tank status and it says Full..Havin not used my TT yet and temps dipping into 26 degrees for 8 hourd or less a few times i hope i am OK. There were stickers on door of TT that said Winterized..Can i drain my fresh water tank? This has been the coldest winter here n Prairieville,La. in 10 years.. Hey TeJay i am like u i post on here n then i can`t find my post to see if anybody answed them or not..I must be doing something wrong. LoL Maybe i will get sum imfromation from this post...The TT manual does not address winterizing my TT.. Have a Good Day All.....

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Hi, On my 2011 24RBS there are two petcock valves at left front under trailer. I open them and sum water came out not a lot. I checked my fresh water tank status and it says Full..Havin not used my TT yet and temps dipping into 26 degrees for 8 hourd or less a few times i hope i am OK. There were stickers on door of TT that said Winterized..Can i drain my fresh water tank? This has been the coldest winter here n Prairieville,La. in 10 years.. Hey TeJay i am like u i post on here n then i can`t find my post to see if anybody answed them or not..I must be doing something wrong. LoL Maybe i will get sum imfromation from this post...The TT manual does not address winterizing my TT.. Have a Good Day All.....
I'm surprised your fresh water tank is full and winterized, you should have a single drain under the tank. Open all the drain valves and be sure to open (vent) all hot and cold faucets inside the RV. If the fluid is pink don't drain it.