Lug Bolt Torque

Snakebite

I couldn't get a response from Customer Service, so I'll try here. I picked up my new sundance 245RL last Thursday from a Regional Heartland Dealership. On the pre-delivery Walk through, the RV Rep made a point to tell me to torque the lug bolts to only 80 lbs. He said that since they were are Aluminum Wheels, I should not go beyond 80lbs torque. The trailer was shipped from Heartland with the Aluminium Wheels.... yet, the owners manual says to torque the wheel lugs to 120 lbs!

Which is it?

Snakebite

porthole

Retired
Torque to 120 and the key word there is torque - as in "torque wrench"
Cris-crossing across the studs, torque to 80 then 120, followed by 120 a second time.
After your first 50 miles you should check (at 120), and then again at 500 miles.

Using a torque wrench is important with any wheel, automotive or trailers. But it is a bit more critical on RV's. Wheels, hubs, drums and rotors are not made to the same specs as automotive equipment.

You will not go wrong by doing it correctly.

Snakebite

TNX fer the response. I always use a torque wrench on my wheels. This is RV #13 for me. I worked my way up from tent trailer to a 36' 5th.... now I'm working my way back down. I think this is going to be the right size for my wife and I. The Duramax pulls it like its not even there.

Snakebite

lwmcguir

If you only torque them to 80 they will work loose so follow all the posters advice and the manual for sure.

jnbhobe

rats, I had my tires balanced and they torqued them at 170. a little much eh. guess I should take it back and have them check stuff out.

I don't think its that big of a deal. They are 9/16 studs so your not that far over. Better more than less. 170 is what is called for on a 9/16-18 grade 8 dry.

johnf

Do you remove the chrome caps from the lugs before torqueing them or leave the caps on ?? How do you remove the caps if they are meant to be removed first

jpajax

If you noticed the last word in jnphobe reply was dry. If you use a anti seize compound you can reduce the torque rate, that means that you will put less stress on the threads and the wheel rim. Also if you have to change tires it want take as much effort and want galled the bolt. I have allways use it and have never had any problems.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Do you remove the chrome caps from the lugs before torqueing them or leave the caps on ?? How do you remove the caps if they are meant to be removed first

I replaced the lug nuts with full steel lug nuts. You can't remove the caps but if one becomes loose you are going to have one he$$ of a time removing the lug. I always like the idea of repairing or replacing before it goes bad.

That's what I did..
BC

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Once you get to that 500 mile mark and retorqur the nuts, how often do you recheck them? Is it worth buying the Twrench?

jnbhobe

Once you get to that 500 mile mark and retorqur the nuts, how often do you recheck them? Is it worth buying the Twrench?

It is a must to have a torque wrench if you are traveling a lot just to make sure everything is done right. I check mine every 1000 miles. I will say I have only seen a loose lug a couple of times.

porthole

Retired

I'll do around 500 and then that is it until a wheel comes off for some reason.
That said, you won't go wrong at checking every 1000 miles.

Get the wrench - and not at horrible freight