Macerator Questions

BigGuy82

As my next RV project, I'm thinking of installing a macerator. It has a lot of advantages, not the least of which is being able to dump the black tank at home instead of worrying about finding a dump station before parking the rig for any period of time.

I've read numerous posts here regarding installation and use, but what I'm looking for is macerator users who have good and bad comments on the overall system. Is it reliable? Do you use it all the time? What are the common problems? In your opinion, was it worth the investment? In other words, general comments from satisfied and dissatisfied users.

Thanks in advance!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Macreator Questions

I have a portable macerator that I use when needed.
I've used it at home with a 100 foot garden hose and it works well.
I bought it several years ago when I was at a TX state park that had the sewer outlet higher than the drain on my camper. That will never be a problem again.
Mine is not permanently mounted but I can attach it when needed. It spend most of it's time in my RV basement.
THIS is what I have.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

I have the same thing as Dave, It works real good when I need it but that's not very often

Kathi-27

we have the thetford sani-con twist on. have 1 inch pvc buried and pump 180 ft to septic once a week for the last 10 months has worked great. will buy it again when this one goes bad. they say you can rebuild them. will find out when it quits. we are living in ours full time at sons property when not traveling.

Bob.jr

I have the flowjet. Been working great for 2 and a half years. Buired 3/4" irrigation pipe and pump about 125 feet. I pump about every 2 or 3 days. Only ? problem is that the pump sometimes will overheat and shut off, then come back on by itself after cooling down. About 3 to 4 minutes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Lou_and_Bette

I have a FloJet that I used for a few months because of a high septic inlet. After I poured a new slab, I didn't need it anymore so it will be on the " for sale" table.

porthole

Retired
As my next RV project, I'm thinking of installing a macerator. It has a lot of advantages, not the least of which is being able to dump the black tank at home instead of worrying about finding a dump station before parking the rig for any period of time.

I've read numerous posts here regarding installation and use, but what I'm looking for is macerator users who have good and bad comments on the overall system. Is it reliable? Do you use it all the time? What are the common problems? In your opinion, was it worth the investment? In other words, general comments from satisfied and dissatisfied users.

Thanks in advance!

I have the same one as Dave. I use it when we come from a CG that doesn't have sewer hookups. Rather then deal with it at the dump station, I just use the pump at home. I am using the 1" smooth interior hose that used to be available with the kit.

I have an industrial battery plug mounted near the waste pipes and use 8 gauge wire for the pump. Have never had the pump shut off while using.

I have had to replace the impeller one time so far. Of course I found out the impeller failed when I needed it. So when I ordered the new one I ordered two.

Impeller kit

Lynn1130

Same as Dave and it works great. I use a 50 foot hose to the outside clean out at the house. Having it at home allows me to do a thorough cleaning of the tank without holding up lines and feeling like I need to hurry because of the traffic behind me.

avvidclif

I have that model and have used it once so limited experience. I ran it off of a 13.8v 30A power supply I had so power wasn't a problem. It did well thru a 50' 3/4" hose. Longer than that needed 1".

It did well but the cleanout I was going to backed up, GRRRR. Another project.

It can be bought for under $200, shop around. One note, the hand switch is a latching type. Push it once and the pump is on, push it again and it turns off.

LBR

I have the FloJet, my "Messy Massey", pumping thru 150' of 1" cl200 PVC pipe into the top of our commercial property septic where it is stored. The rise is only about 4' for the full length, but it sill has a full 1" flow out of the pipe....what a great tool!

mlpeloquin

I have stayed at several parks, including the Monterey fair grounds - the only place anywhere near Monterey CA, that have sewer hookups a lot higher than the fifth wheels sewer waste discharge. So I purchased a Flow Jet macerator. Got tired of playing slinky with the sewer hose. Now that I own it, I have not been to a park that I need to use it in, but I can use it to dump into my S&B sewer if I need to.

richheck

Seasoned Member
I have both the Flow Jet 12 volt twist on and the Sewer Solution twist on. Usually use the SeweS solution that is water pressure powered if I am staying for a long period of time. Only draw back is the flow is slower than when using the 3 in slinky so I assume your tank doesn't drain the solids as well because of this. I always rinse again when I get home as I have an outlet available to drain when I get back.

I have only used the Flow Jet to drain the grays and it did a great job.