Noob questions....

Hello all, old school camper new to RVing and I have some questions.

Here's the setup: I have a Prowler 285LX (Travel Trailer) and I plan on using it 1 to 2 times per month, year round. I live in Florida (up in the panhandle) and the trailer will be stored in my backyard when not in use. When I'm traveling I'm traveling with NO water in any tank as I'm pushing the weight limits of my TV and want to keep it as light as possible.

Question #1: Between trips when the trailer is in my backyard, should I be putting a few gallons of water in the tanks (grey, black and fresh)? I'm worried about leaving them bone dry in the FL heat between use but perhaps my worry is unfounded?

Question #2: Lucked out on my first trip and got a spot with sewer at the campsite however most of the State parks I will be at only have a few spots with sewer at campsite so more often than not I will be stopping at the dump station on my way out. What is the etiquette here? When I emptied at my site I was able to have my second hose hooked up and flush the tank pretty well but something tells me this may not be ok to do at a dump station, especially if people are waiting. I really want to keep that thing cleaned out well but haven't got the home dump station thing worked out yet. So is it ok to take your time and rinse out at the dump station or do you need to just dump and go and worry about rinsing out later? If later, where?

Question #3: I'm carrying 2 water hoses. 1 is a potable water hose and the other is just a regular garden hose. They are chaos in the storage compartment. How do you all carry/store yours? I thought about one of those wheeled hose carts but I have 2 hoses that I may want unrolled at different lengths so I would need 2 carts. Seems like overkill and just wondering how you all deal with the wild water hoses.

If you're still reading, thanks for staying with me and I appreciate any feedback.

Sniper

#1: I don't put any water in any of the tanks while it's sitting in my yard. I definitely would NOT put any fresh water in the tank, it may become stagnant. I do put about 5 gallons of water in the black tank before we leave on a long trip in case we need to use the toilet in route.

#2: I too, feel the need to rush at the dump station when others are waiting, but I see many take their time. Don't know if there is any real protocol there, and if there is some protocol, a lot of folks are not using it. LOL

#3: Get you a plastic tote(s), you know, the ones with a lid, to keep your hoses, and other loose items in. They work great. (don't over pack them)

I'm sure others will chime in. Enjoy your new camper, and safe travels. :)

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
One thing to add to answer #3.......keep drinking water hose away from flush out hose. I keep all my sewer items together in one plastic container.

Noofear

I used two Christmas wrap containers for my hoses one for all the freshwater items and one for all the sewer items and black tank flush items

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I guess the sooner I figure out where my sewer cleanout is at my house the better. I'm really stressing out about this as I don't want to be "that person" at the campground hogging the dump station but at the same time, I really want that black holding tank to be as clean as possible. Maybe I just need to stay at RV parks (instead of State Parks) where they have sewer at the individual sites until I get the home setup going.

Thanks for the response.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing to add to answer #3.......keep drinking water hose away from flush out hose. I keep all my sewer items together in one plastic container.

Yes good point. I do have a plastic bucket for the sewer hose already. I don't want to keep it in the bumper because I don't want to have to remove the ends every time I use it and it doesn't fit with them on. I need to get a longer bucket though because the wand that goes in the toilet and spins water around doesn't fit in the bucket.... so it's currently in big black plastic bags.

Thanks for the response

Oregon_Camper

I guess the sooner I figure out where my sewer cleanout is at my house the better. I'm really stressing out about this as I don't want to be "that person" at the campground hogging the dump station but at the same time, I really want that black holding tank to be as clean as possible. Maybe I just need to stay at RV parks (instead of State Parks) where they have sewer at the individual sites until I get the home setup going.

Use Google to find other dump stations. We were surprised by the number of stations we found.

I use the dump station at the local sewer facility, which is kept VERY clean and is about 7-10 miles from our house. It is open 7 days a week...24hrs a day. Oh..and it is FREE of course. :)

Sniper

Thanks for the response.
One way to make sure you get your black tank as empty as possible if your concerned at "hogging" the dump station, is to fill it with fresh water while still at your site. Ours always seems to empty more completely the closer to full it is when I pull the dump valve. Over time you will find a solution that works best for you. Whatever you do, do not get in a rush that will most certainly end in mistakes. You got this. :)

mlpeloquin

Screw the end of the hoses together so that they are sealed and use a big plastic tote in the storage bay. I also use a back flow preventer, Campco #23303, on the black water flush, and it too is a standard garden hose connection. Use ball stretch cords to keep then together and organized. Such as: http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-ball-stretch-cord-set-47302.html Finally I use water hose storage caps on anything that cannot be sealed to itself. I have a sewer access at home that I can dump to using an electric waste pump with dedicated garden hose. I also seal the drain hoses with end caps.

MP_CS

I have found that most state and federal parks in PA cut the end off the wash hose at the dump stations so you can't hook up to the blackwater tank flush fitting. I have a barbed adapter in my 5th wheel just for that reason. If i know I'm not gonna be ale to flush with that fitting i will put as much freshwater in the black tank as possible before dumping. I've done it for years now and have never had a problem yet. You're worrying way to much about it, flush it good when possible and when you can't don't stress about it...

Finally I use water hose storage caps on anything that cannot be sealed to itself..

This is what I need (didn't even know there was such a thing) for the water hoses. I have the caps for the sewer drain hose and that hose is in a bucket with lid, but my 2 water hoses just dripped water all over the storage compartment. I need these caps and a separate bucket for them.

Thanks for the response

BusManRG

Well, hubby is one of those that will try to flush as thoroughly as possibly most times. A lot depends on what's up next. If we are moving to another campground not so much. Home and then storage? Then you may have to wait if you are behind us. But he will usually go and say hi to the driver and chat a moment.

Roller4tan

This is what I need (didn't even know there was such a thing) for the water hoses. I have the caps for the sewer drain hose and that hose is in a bucket with lid, but my 2 water hoses just dripped water all over the storage compartment. I need these caps and a separate bucket for them.

Thanks for the response

Screw the 2 ends of the hose together when in storage, or get some quick disconnects and snap them into each other. Most of my water fittings I have installed disconnects. Any big box or hardware store will have them.

mlpeloquin

Thanks for the response

Screw the hose ends together is the best, but you can also use hose end storage caps. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/water-hose-storage-caps/70017

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Thanks for the response

The rear bumper on your Prowler should be like mine and is designed to be a storage spot for your sewer drain hoses.

I keep 20 feet in there and another 20 feet in a plastic tote along with all of the other sewer fittings.

As for the dump stations at campgrounds . . . just do your drain and clean and don't worry about the line behind you . . . because the next guy in line will do the same thing!

Forgot to mention . . . if you have a Cabela's nearby they should have a dump station there.

The sign says "Free For Customers" . . . so if you dump and then go inside and buy a candy bar . . . :rolleyes:

The rear bumper on your Prowler should be like mine and is designed to be a storage spot for your sewer drain hoses.

I keep 20 feet in there and another 20 feet in a plastic tote along with all of the other sewer fittings.

As for the dump stations at campgrounds . . . just do your drain and clean and don't worry about the line behind you . . . because the next guy in line will do the same thing!

Forgot to mention . . . if you have a Cabela's nearby they should have a dump station there.

The sign says "Free For Customers" . . . so if you dump and then go inside and buy a candy bar . . . :rolleyes:

The reason I don't want to keep my sewer hose in the bumper is that it doesn't fit with the bent end fitting and I don't want to be removing it all the time; this is why I went with a plastic bucket.

I don't have a Cabela's near me but I do have a Bass Pro Shop. I'll check and see if they have a dump station, although I really doubt it since it's in a hoighty toighty shopping center in Destin... but I'll check. Honestly I think I just need to get off my rear and go find the sewer clean out here at my house.

Today I have the cement contractor coming to give me an estimate for a cement pad to park the trailer on. Can't wait to see how much this is going to co$t me.

Domi

For the dump station I share your concern. I am thinking about 2 to 3 2 gallon buckets. I have found that if I run that many through the toilet with the dump valve open after I dump, it cleans out the system really well. If you have 2 people, one inside and one out you can yell and know when to dump in the next bucket.

Personally I have seen with my rig that filling the tank to flush it works but again I need to do it at least twice. The first part of a dump is brown and nasty but after that about half the tank runs clear. Fill it with the flush full again and it is not as bad but still runs clear at the end. Fill it a second time and get junk and then clear.

The buckets do the same thing but are a lost faster. Drain the tank and fill 3 buckets. When it is a trickle pour in the first bucket, when that is a trickle the second and then the third. For us it is clean at that point. I throw another bucket in and drop in a deodorizer to prep the tank for use on the way home if needed.

Hope this helps. I am trying to get less obsessed with my black tank also.

John

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I bought one of these at the local Wal*Mart:

toiletwandwalmart.jpeg
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rv-Tank-Rinser-40094/46283608

This thing is awesome . . . makes cleaning the black tank quick and easy!

Our new trailer has the built-in black tank flush, so I leave this at home in the garage as a backup.

Let me know if you are coming to one of the Colorado HOC Rallies and I'll give it to you if you haven't gotten one already.

Here is a link to a similar one at Camping World:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rv-Tank-Rinser-40094/46283608

mlpeloquin

Take it with you. If your tank gets clogged, you will wish you had it. It is for unclogging the black tank. Hard forced water spray spinning breaks up what is clogging the drain.

Chippendale

I purchased this http://www.micro-blaze.com/site/septic/ from the guy in the RV video at the Heartland North American Rally in Goshen last summer and have been very pleased with it. When I have drained the black tank, everything comes out kind of like liquid baby poop, not any or very few solids. I am using it like he suggests in the video, and am having no odor problems. After draining the tank, I put 2 or 3 gallons of water back into it along with about an ounce of Micro Blaze and let the product slosh around in the tank while towing which seems to clean the sensors pretty well. I just leave the few gallons in the tank and it is ready to go the next time I use it. I don't use any chemicals in the tanks and so far have been very pleased. I do still flush my tank out with clean water when dumping.