Maiden voyage completed

letourno

Quebec Chapter Leader-retired
We came back a few weeks ago from our maiden voyage. First time owning and operating a fifth wheel, first time for the new BH3585, first time for the 2011 Ford F-350 Larial Diesel SRW. SUCCESS!!! We covered 5852 miles at an average of 12.6 mpg from Montreal to Key West along the Skyline/Blue Ridge and Flrida's Gulf Coast, then back along the Atlantic Coast. We stayed at 19 different campgrounds, the most notable being Asheville Campfire Lodgings, Key West Bluewater Key Resort and St-Augustine North Beach Camp. We also made new friends, specially within the Heartland community.
IMG_6725small.jpg
We did experience a few problems with the BH however nothing that I had not seen on the Forum. The rig is now back at the dealership for warranty work and seems to be in very good hands. The main usual suspects were: brakes working intermittently (dealer found that 3 wheels had grease leaking in the drums), one slide leaking (those joints need to be checked/fixed frequently, I know), a few minor cabinet issues (nothing I could not fix however I prefer the dealer fixing it under warranty) and, of course, the remote door system. No issues with plumbing (thanks, Ray and John for the Dar-Letourneau filter and regulator system) or with elctrical, appliances, electronics. While on the road I did call Southco and Flair (a part broke on one of the recliners) and I received outstanding service. Both sent new parts to locations on our route. Thanks!

We also did weigh the rig during the trip and were within the certification (I can share numbers if you wish).

We are now planning the next 2 voyages: Canadian Maritimes and Maine in late summer and, by late fall, Houston where we will store truck and trailer until late winter. We will then start on our way to South Texas, New Mexico and the Wyoming Montana region on our way back to Canada. We can't wait to get going, see great things and make new friends

jpdoggett

Robert & Louise
Sounds like you had a great trip and 12.6 is way better that my 2005 6.0 ever got pulling. We have a new 2011 Landmark Augusta and we had to have the dealer fix a few small items under warranty so as long that we don't have any major problems I will be happy. What is this (Dar-Letourneau filter and regulator system)?

letourno

Quebec Chapter Leader-retired
Robert & Louise
Sounds like you had a great trip and 12.6 is way better that my 2005 6.0 ever got pulling. We have a new 2011 Landmark Augusta and we had to have the dealer fix a few small items under warranty so as long that we don't have any major problems I will be happy. What is this (Dar-Letourneau filter and regulator system)?
Check this thread (Water Filtration). I followed the advice, got all the parts from the site mentioned in the thread (including the regulator), set them up in a rubbermaid Roughnek tub and voilà! It worked real well and got us the same water quality and pressure wherever we were.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/19425-Water-Filtration

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Robert & Louise, It's good to hear your trip went well. Your fall trip sounds very exciting. We've been to South TX and enjoyed both Corpus Christi & "The Valley". You may have read, we're going to explore FL this winter with the exception of the Keys.
It's interesting that your brakes had too much grease in the hubs. It seems we have been seeing this issue a few times recently. Sort of makes one wonder.
I can't take too much credit for the water filter set up, I had seen it before and copied. It is a convenient set-up though.
I hope all goes well with the work on the rig and you folks have safe and fun travels in the future.