Main washroom sink faucet water smelling like rotten eggs

Hi Everyone,
I have a 2015 Gateway 3650BH and cannot trouble shoot this issue; water pored from the main bathroom sink smells like sulphur (rotten eggs), we pore water in a glass and the water smells, so the bad smell is not coming from the sink drain. All other taps in the trailer are fine, including the bath faucet in that same washroom. We are hooked up to a main water line on a permanent site and I have tested the water directly from the main source and it's fine. Other Gateway owners with the same model have the same issue on our campground. Wondering if anyone has experienced this before and can provide a solution.

Thank you.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Do you have washer/dryer hookups in the closet?

I realized something similar in our ElkRidge one year. We did not have a washer/dryer. We made sure those lines were winterized with RV antifreeze for the winter. In the spring, we flushed all the lines, but did not flush the washer lines. Later in the summer, started smelling the bad egg smell. We figured out it was the antifreeze in the lines that happened to T off from the bathroom and go to the washer. A small amount was backflowing every time I ran the sink.

The solution was to flush the washer lines by hooking up a washer line hose to each faucet and running water through them into a bucket, until they were clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

They do have the washer and dryer hookups available and I use an old washer hose to hook up to them and flush them out every year.

212Pilot

Is the smell with Hot or Cold water? We had the same smelly problem with a previous travel trailer and when I replaced the anode rod in the hot water heater the smell went away.

Do you have washer/dryer hookups in the closet?

I realized something similar in our ElkRidge one year. We did not have a washer/dryer. We made sure those lines were winterized with RV antifreeze for the winter. In the spring, we flushed all the lines, but did not flush the washer lines. Later in the summer, started smelling the bad egg smell. We figured out it was the antifreeze in the lines that happened to T off from the bathroom and go to the washer. A small amount was backflowing every time I ran the sink.

The solution was to flush the washer lines by hooking up a washer line hose to each faucet and running water through them into a bucket, until they were clear.

That could be it! We do have washer/dryer hookups in the closet and never used them, RV was purchased winterized so I bet those lines have old antifreeze in them, I will flush them out and see. Big thank you for this info.
Would old antifreeze start smelling like sulphur?

TravelTiger

That could be it! We do have washer/dryer hookups in the closet and never used them, RV was purchased winterized so I bet those lines have old antifreeze in them, I will flush them out and see. Big thank you for this info.
Would old antifreeze start smelling like sulphur?

That was the smell I was smelling, so yes, I guess so!

carl.swoyer

Check the diaphragm valve under the sink. It screws on the PVC pipes.if it is bad it allows tank Oder to Pass into the RV . When you open the gate valve it aids in letting pressure out and a quick dump . You can test it by putting water on the top, if it leaks replace it. You have one in the kitchen as well. I had to replace both of mine.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

Another possibility is that you picked up some crap from a water source and system needs to be drained/flushed/sanitized. This happened to us few years back w/ old coach on hot water side while camping. Drained hot water tank and flushed a couple times on site. OK after that. Then come each spring, I would run "bleached" water from fresh tank thru hot water tank and let sit overnight along w/ fresh tank. Drain and do again. Never had a problem after that.

That was the smell I was smelling, so yes, I guess so!

That was it Traveltiger, flushed the washer lines and antifreeze came out with the sulphur smell, now it's all good....big thank you for the advise, I will inform all other owners on our site on how to fix theirs.

thank you again 👍👏

TravelTiger

That was it Traveltiger, flushed the washer lines and antifreeze came out with the sulphur smell, now it's all good....big thank you for the advise, I will inform all other owners on our site on how to fix theirs.

thank you again

Yay! Glad to help.

Ciel2333

You will have to make sure the source of the odors first since the solutions for different situations are differ from each other. The main reason of bathroom sink smells like rotten eggs is that hair and dust clog in sink drain. you can use a cup of baking soda and a cup of white vinegar to get rid of the odors. But sometimes this method could not work. You can see from more details from this post.