Michelin XPS

jbeletti

Jim....my 3055 is so young it doesnt have a vin # yet.....while it's upside down on the line is it possible to have the tires changed from E to G rating and would you have any idea what this might cost.....tnks....pete

If your unit is not yet "online", you can immediately call your dealer to ask them to call in the change order to the factory to do the Load Range G tire/wheel upgrade. I am unsure as to the cost. Likely in the $600 to $1000 range. Dealer sets the retail cost on this.

Call them ASAP.

Jim

porthole

Retired
Duane,

It's an upgrade option on BH - that is why it may be possible if this guy can catch it in time.

Why it is not an option on CY - I do not know.

/quote]

Yeah I know, that is where I go the original idea, so it listed somewhere for, I think it was around $700. You can't buy the necessary upgraded wheels for that price.

I tried - only a pallet and forklift ride away, but to no avail. At least it was an easier request then the 2nd awning.

I tried with my dealer, but to be frank, all the return phone calls stopped after I made my deal and sent my deposit.

M

meanderingman

[FONT=&quot]In 2002, as part of the installation of a Mor/Ryde suspension, 4 Goodyear Wrangler LT tires were installed on my 32 foot two axle fiver. Tires were not overloaded or underinflated. The Wranglers deformed so badly in tight turns I thought they would pop off the rims. Within 15000 miles I had had a blowout and 3 tread separations. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After a visit to Escapees Discussion Forum, I purchased 4 Michelin XPS rib tires in August 2004 for $800. Although labeled as Light Truck tires, they are COMMERCIAL Light Truck tires which are all steel cord radials with sturdy sidewalls and three steel belts. The Michelins deform much less in turns, much like the 10 ply bias ply tires that came as original equipment on an older trailer. I tracked trailer miles by entering destinations in Microsoft Streets & Trips. Tread depth NEW = 14/32; at 22K = 11/32; at 30K = 9/32, at 35K = 8/32 inch. At 30K miles I had a nail puncture repaired. In March 2010 (5.7 years), at 35K, another motorist alerted me that one of the trailer tires had a bulging sidewall on the inside of the tire where I couldn’t see it, so I replaced all 4 tires with new Michelin XPS. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So I was trouble free for 5 years and 8 months. Credible sources on RV forums say tires become unsafe because of age and should be replaced after 6 years. Although there was plenty of tread left, I decided to replace all 4 tires. Because of severe stresses on trailer tires I will use a 5 year replacement cycle rather than 6 years. The 2010 price for 4 XPS Rib tires was $1200. Here’s my math for the 5 year cycle: 5 years X 365 days = 1825 days. $1200 / 1825 days = $0.66 per day. It is worth 66 cents a day to me to have outstanding trailer tire performance and dependability. It has been a welcome luxury not to have to worry about tires every inch and every minute of the way. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I also had slow leaks in 2 of 4 light truck rubber valve stems; the tire dealer who installed new steel valve stems said he had seen so many problems with light truck valve stems on trailer wheels that he doesn’t use them any more. [/FONT]