Michigan to Florida route

dprince99

Heading from Michigan to Florida & wondering about the best route.
should we take:
69 to 65 to 10 to 75, 75 all the way & thru center of Atlanta GA, or 75 all the way & take bypass around Atlanta GA.?
I pull a 43ft 5th wheel toyhauler (3 axels) with a daully.
thanks

MTPockets

We've taken both many times and prefer 69 - 65, bu if you're in E. Michigan 75 is fine. We always tried to time it so we did Atlanta on the weekend.

Garypowell

I would go around Atlanta on the west side. We do 75 a lot out seeing customers on trips. If in a car probably OK to go straight through. But most times over the last few years going through downtown is stop and go and a few lane changes to stay in the slower lanes but not be in exit lanes only that pop up.

Obviously this his advice is tempered by time. If going through after 8 PM TO 4 AM going straight through is OK.

Atlanta South RV park is an above average place to stay just off of 75 south of Atlanta on Jodico road. They were upgrading the overpass there so ask them how to exit and get to them.

caissiel

He is right
I was told the lanes in the center of Atlanta are narrower then normal
We did drive through at 10 PM with our BC in tow.
But I did not use rhe. Center lane and got caught to close to the HOV lane. But had more room.
Just 2 drivers impressions

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

DocFather

I'd rather go west through Phoenix than to drive through Atlanta. LOL

Let me know when you are getting close to Louisville on I-65 and I'll buy lunch.

jbeletti

David,

I just came on part of that route today. Took 75 south from 40, then 285 around the west side of ATL and picked 75 back up, south of ATL.

Overnighting tonight at Twin Oaks, just south of Perry. $19 PPA rate. More than a Walmart, but FHU and WiFi :)

Stop by the Heartland displays when you are in Tampa - be nice to see you guys again.

dprince99

Thanks everyone, Hartland owners are the best!!!
looks like we'll be heading down 75 & taking w. Bypass around Atlanta although GPS keeps telling me to take the E. Bypass, does it matter? DocFather, if we decide to take 65 home we'll sure try to hookup with U for FREE lunch, we can use the money saved to go to the Michigan Rally in June. (JB) :)
Jim, Ginny & I can't get down to Fl. until about the middle of February. You'll probably be in Tx. By then but hope to see
U & Nan @ the Mich. Rally!!!
We're staying a little south of Tampa, then to Williston with trips back & forth to Daytona for Bike Week.
thanks again.

Garypowell

Our gps sometimes tells us to go a direction we know is not best and just drive down the path (like west285) and after it recalculates it shows a sooner arrival time....go figure.

I think east 285 just looks longer visually but have never actually clocked it. But it seems others above agree west is best.

The one thing I hate and don't understand how they arrange highways is when you take the "uni exit" going south on 75 it is the east lanes that end up going west and the west two lanes that head east. It is counter intuitive but it seems to me many exits are this way......is there a highway engineer listening?

dprince99

Our gps sometimes tells us to go a direction we know is not best and just drive down the path (like west285) and after it recalculates it shows a sooner arrival time....go figure.

I think east 285 just looks longer visually but have never actually clocked it. But it seems others above agree west is best.

The one thing I hate and don't understand how they arrange highways is when you take the "uni exit" going south on 75 it is the east lanes that end up going west and the west two lanes that head east. It is counter intuitive but it seems to me many exits are this way......is there a highway engineer listening?

Thanks Gary

1231ChaseB

Best way thru Atlanta is right straight thru it and DON'T use the bypass ! JMHO ! You do have to watch the time of day though ! NEVER in the afternoon !
chaseb

kowAlski631

Best way thru Atlanta is right straight thru it and DON'T use the bypass ! JMHO ! You do have to watch the time of day though ! NEVER in the afternoon !
chaseb

Or the morning. Avoid both 6 - 10:30 am & 3 - 6 pm

Family lives in suburbs, so we know.

Paul & Martha

Life's too short. Live so you can say "Remember when" not "I wish I had".

MTPockets

I suppose personal opinion is in play, but we've gone both thru and around several times over the years. Around is much more enjoyable and really not much more time. Only six miles longer according to Google maps.

jbeletti

Dave,

We will miss you in FL and I don't think we are making the MI rally :(

We miss you in the club and are still very pleased to have you join us at the chapter rallies :) Looking forward to the next one where Nancy and I can spend time with you guys. Be well friend.