Morryde vs Lippert Entry Steps

pegmikef

We have been investigating the Morryde step above Zero-G (gravity) steps for our 2017 LM 365. I was intrigued from J. Beletti (sp) new LM as he has them. This is a new product from Morryde and are on numerous fifth wheels besides Heartlands. I believe pegmikef photo are the ones. They have a lift assisting strut inside the door which allows you to lift and lower with about 1 finger. The wife was very happy as we saw one at a show.

So, with that in mind Morryde will not sell to the public at this time with these new steps. I was told that they have not come up with clear enough installation instructions as they have had numerous dealerships struggle with the installation (go figure). There are multiple screws that need to be installed and secured to allow the strut to do its job. I am hoping that Jim B. will chime in again on his application and may be able to give us an insight on why a dealer cannot install accurately.

One last thing. I did get a phone call from a local dealer that I have been working with to purchase a set and they spoke with Heartland and was told that they could order a set for me. In the event that we went through with the purchase the dealership and us are fully liable on the install and no warranty given or implied for the installation. $574 plus freight, approx. $100 plus installation at dealer ($100 per hour). I may just keep using my fold in steps
:cool:

Let me go out and take a couple of pictures, because the installation really did not look that complex. I think they have made some changes since the initial ones.

Last edited:

pegmikef

Let me go out and take a couple of pictures, because the installation really did not look that complex. I think they have made some changes since the initial ones.

The step installation looks pretty straightforward and is relatively simple (assuming the steps to be installed are the correct size for the door frame!). There are three components

1. Inside left mounting bracket (facing door from outside). This bracket contains two lift assist shocks and is predrilled for the pivot bolt. This bracket is simply bolted to interior side of the door frame (see picture). After the steps are installed there is a cover that attaches to the bracket.

2.. Inside right mounting bracket (facing door from the outside). Presumably, the bracket contains a predrilled hole for the right hand pivot point of the steps. It is covered by a small box so I did not open it. This bracket is bolted to the other interior side of the door frame (see picture).

3. The main component, the step unit is self-contained and includes the threshold with predrilled sides that bolt to the brackets described above. Once installed the threshold on the steps fits over the OEM threshold.

I am sure this is over simplified, but it appears that the route of march is to measure the opening and step unit to verify it is the correct unit for the door frame. Then install each of the brackets, place the step unit in place install the pivot bolts on each side, and then insert the bolt through the step frame and both shocks and install washers, nuts, etc. I know there are probably some adjustment steps. I don’t see anything here that a typical RV tech would have a problem with .
Your RV MUST be level for this installation and using the steps. Once installed and in use, always make sure that there is no space between the step threshold and the OEM threshold on both ends.

Here are a few pix of the various pieces described above.

Attachments

• leftplate.jpg
    leftplate.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 132
  • leftside.jpg
    leftside.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 131
  • rightplate.jpg
    rightplate.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 138
  • liftAssist.jpg
    liftAssist.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 124
  • liftassistcover.jpg
    liftassistcover.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 122
  • down.jpg
    down.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 131
  • up.jpg
    up.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 132

Mark-Roberta 051995

Wow - thanks so much. I believe it can be done by a novice handy man with a little patience . Maybe you should send this to heartland and tell them here are your installation instructions .

thank you ,

mark

happykraut

I installed the glowsteps and really like them. Very solid and they look good. What I really like about them is that I can shorten the whole step when I'm parked at a rest stop.

jbeletti

We have a 2000 31' Sunnybrook 5th wheel. Will these steps work on a rig that old? Also, do the steps fold up and swing up inside the door opening?

The Glow Steps fold up and store where the OEM stairs stored. The Lippert Solid Step and the MORryde Step Above lift up and rotate into the coach. They store vertically, just inside the coach / doorway.

If you have no obstruction just inside the door, say for about a foot and have a standard width door on your Sunny, I'd say the Lippert or MORryde steps will work for you.

danemayer

We have a 2000 31' Sunnybrook 5th wheel. Will these steps work on a rig that old? Also, do the steps fold up and swing up inside the door opening?

Torklift (maker of the Glowsteps) has an RV lookup to find the right equipment for your rig, and it includes Sunnybrook. If you don't find your model, it'll give you a form to send in to customer service to get an answer. Here's a link.

They also now have a Glowstep Uprising model that folds up and stores inside, without needing the OEM step well.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
If you're looking for a conventional stair, the Glowstep Revolution is the way to go. We had a Sunnybrook long ago and loved it. If I still owned it, I would put the Glowsteps on it.