My 2013 Landmark Key Largo

jbeletti

Key Largo Modification - Added External Cellular Antenna and MiFi

On my last coach, I designed and installed a roof-mounted motorized cellular antenna system. For the Key Largo, I updated that system with a 3G/4G antenna and reinstalled it. This system is for my Verizon MiFi Cellular Modem. I have the MiFi with the external antenna port - just for this installation.

Here's an abbreviated parts list:
  • Cell-Mate Multi-Band Cellular Antenna (12" tall x 2" diameter, omnidirectional)
    Product Link - from WPS Antennas (project partner)
  • Diamond Antenna Motor with Up/Down switch / DC Power Cord
    Product Link
  • 1/4" Aluminum Base Plate / Well Nuts / Stainless Steel Screws
  • Verizon (Novatel) 4150L MiFi Cellular Modem / DC Power Cord
    Product Link
  • DC Power Plug with 2 USB ports (for charging cell phones)

Here's a brief description of this system:
  • A roof mounted cellular antenna
  • Antenna is electrically raised from inside the RV via simple up/down switch
  • High elevation, externally mounted cellular signal is received inside RV directly into Verizon MiFi cellular modem
  • MiFi distributes Internet in and around RV via built-in WiFi
  • Advantage of system is the ability to receive a stronger cellular data signal due to a high mounted outdoor antenna. A stronger cellular data signal will generally result in a faster, higher bandwidth connection to the Internet

Optional operation:
  • Coach is equipped with externally (roof) mounted WiFi Ranger Sky + WiFiRanger WiFi Repeater device
    Product Link - from Mito Corp OEM Antennas (project partner)
  • WiFi Ranger has the ability to connect to available WiFi networks and redistribute them in and around RV
  • Advantage of device can be the ability to pickup nearby WiFi signals (think campgrounds) outdoors, where the signal is stronger and repeat that signal to many devices via WiFi. When the WiFi network being received by the device requires a password/network key and where that password/key is good for one device only, the WiFi Ranger will be that one device, distributing signal to many devices in your RV

Pictures of installation:

1 - Antenna Location.jpg 2 - Holes Drilled.jpg 3 - Well Nuts Installed.jpg 4 - Antenna-Motor Installed.jpg 5 - MiFi Install a.jpg 6 - MiFi Install b.jpg

Video of Antenna raising/lowering operation:

jbeletti

Key Largo Modification - Mini-Bungee Hold-backs

Not a big deal, but a nice little mod.

In an effort to fully utilize all available space in the coach, I used screw-eyes and mini-bungee cords to hold back items in these upper pantry cabinets.

Both parts were purchased at Lowes. Screw-eyes are in the hardware department and the mini-bungees were with the rest of the bungee cords an aisle away from hardware.

I pre-drilled the screw-eye holes with a 5/64 drill bit. Then I used a pair of pliers to screw the screw-eyes in. Pre-drilling is really needed. Otherwise, you will twist the screw-eye screw to failure :(

1 - Bungees Completed.jpg 2 - Bungees Closeup.jpg 3 - Bungees Eye Hooks.jpg

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Jim, I noticed you have what appears to be the Ultrabreeze vent covers. How do they attach? I'm hoping these are available at Lazy Days later this month.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: Key Largo Modification - Added External Cellular Antenna and MiFi

Jim,

This is great info on the cellular antenna, will be looking at something similar if we do more traveling and I'm working on the road. I'm curious, why did you mount the antenna with the ability to raise and lower? I was thinking about a similar antenna.

jbeletti

Erika,

For a couple of coaches, I used the Wilson RV Cellular antenna. The one that is shorter and has a spring base. Height is an advantage with pulling signals out of the air. So in past installations, I would mount the antenna as high up on the rear ladder as possible.

Troubles I noticed were:
  • Broken Radials - These are horizontal antenna elements that provides the ground plane. Tree leaves snagged from low branches do a number on the radials and can easily snap them off.
  • Bent Springs - I've had spring bases get tweaked and stay bent back. I've had the spring rust.

Since I was only getting a year of service from these antennas and because I wanted maximum gain, I opted to stay high off the ground with my antenna. Once you start putting antennas on the roof, unless you're mounting them to and raising them with the batwing (TV antenna), then you need to determine how to deploy a roof mounted antenna. Or decide to risk it and leave it up all the time!

Some RVers mount antennas on PVC pipe attached to the rear ladder and raise them manually as needed. Nothing wrong with this at all.

For me, I wanted:
  1. To be able to nearly auto-deploy the antenna as needed (can't beat a push button!)
  2. An installation that required no storage of gear when not in use
  3. An installation that is invisible - clean - no wiring around

Jim

jbeletti

Ray,

I snapped a few pics of the Ultrabreeze covers when I was on the roof installing the antenna. Heartland installed these for me. Take a look at the closeup in image 5 to get a better sense of the installation. I believe the 4 brackets that come with the cover use 4 existing screws on the fan housing.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg IMG_0933.JPG

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Erika,

Since I was only getting a year of service from these antennas and because I wanted maximum gain, I opted to stay high off the ground with my antenna. Once you start putting antennas on the roof, unless you're mounting them to and raising them with the batwing (TV antenna), then you need to determine how to deploy a roof mounted antenna. Or decide to risk it and leave it up all the time!

Jim

I had thought about doing that on this coach. Has anyone here done that yet and does it interfere with TV air signal??

On an edit-after I thought about it, I guess the WiFi signal is always there, you are just amplifying it with the antenna but I did go on Ranger's site. It appears that they are using the coax for the bat wing for their antenna. So I guess you loose the TV??? I guess I need to call them.

You do have a pretty cool setup Jim, maybe we will see it next weekend.

On the Ultra Breeze, when I had to order a new pin switch from Fantastic Fan I spoke with them about this. They said it would be available to places like CW in a few weeks-that was a couple of weeks ago.
They thought the retail price would be around $60.00. Little steep but if it works great.
I am not in love with the snap pins for mounting it though. I am sure they are fine but I would feel better if bolting it to the bracket.

I guess they are using the snap pins for easy removal.

Ray LeTourneau

Re: Key Largo Baggage Door Strike Plate Adjustment

Thanks, Jim! Not to disagree with Larry but I think the snap pins are a plus. After having the bolt down type for many years I think the pins would allow much easier access for cleaning. Also, when cleaning the roof, the cover can be removed for a better job.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader

Thanks, Jim! Not to disagree with Larry but I think the snap pins are a plus. After having the bolt down type for many years I think the pins would allow much easier access for cleaning. Also, when cleaning the roof, the cover can be removed for a better job.

Ray, you are right about making it easy to clean under the vents. My concern would be the while going down the road over a period of time the vent could vibrate or shake because of the air movement on the roof. Eventually it could wear through the pin. But maybe not, who knows..

I would be willing to test this for you though. You have my address, just have one sent to me ans I will let you know how it does. :D

jbeletti

Larry,

On the WiFi Ranger that I have, they (Heartland) powered it directly, versus using the TV antenna coax power method. I believe they powered it via the Winegard dish power feed. Not ideal, but workable. I'd prefer it to be switched inside. But this is just a trial of this product, not an engineered production installation.

By coax powering it, my understanding is that it's likely just a pass-through, grabbing power off the coax but passing the antenna signals through it. By using the batwing, you get elevation and the ability to power it easily. Once concern would be the extra weight placed on the batwing. Also, I think it stated Winegard and we use Antennatek. Not sure if it matters.

Jim

DougAndJudy

Larry,

By coax powering it, my understanding is that it's likely just a pass-through, grabbing power off the coax but passing the antenna signals through it. By using the batwing, you get elevation and the ability to power it easily. Once concern would be the extra weight placed on the batwing. Also, I think it stated Winegard and we use Antennatek. Not sure if it matters.

Jim

I doubt that having the AntennaTek makes any difference, as I have a Winegard sensar head mounted to the AntennaTek posts and it works well with the supplied power. As far as the weight added to the antenna - the WifiRanger Sky is only 3 or 4 ounces.

porthole

Retired
Video of Antenna raising/lowering operation:

And they call me “Mr. Gadget”

This system is for my Verizon MiFi Cellular Modem. I have the MiFi with the external antenna port - just for this installation.

I wish my MiFi had an antenna port. I have put off the upgrade as I am still grandfathered with the unlimited data plan. What plan did you get with the current MiFi and is it 4G.
The other reason for not jumping is the lack of 4G in my area. It is available around the big cities, but the maps that I have looked at just don’t show the coverage yet.

With 4G, do you find your data being consumed on an increased basis?

I like that antenna you have, if I could use an external one I would put one of those on the truck. I already have an external VHF antenna it could be mounted too. Deb used the MiFi almost all the way to and from Goshen last year. Helped keep her mind off the pain watching Casey Anthony.

porthole

Retired
I guess they are using the snap pins for easy removal.

I'm with Ray on this one.

Larry, I think there are a lot more things to worry about driving down the road and falling off then those pins wearing through.
Did you see the picture of my AC cover last year?

porthole

Retired
I snapped a few pics of View attachment 18139
So, is that fancy garage tall enough for you walk around up there while working with no sun, wind or rain to bother you? Anything hanging down that you have to remember to "look up" for? That garage, i think is a step or two above a "man cave" I want one!
Since I was only getting a year of service from these antennas and because
Is that the antenna or the Landmark???
I pre-drilled the screw-eye holes with a 5/64 drill bit. Then I used a pair of pliers to screw the screw-eyes in. Pre-drilling is really needed. Otherwise, you will twist the screw-eye screw to failure :( View attachment 18137
Come on Mr. Gadget, there is a proper tool for that!

I have the first version, McFeely's has tons of hardware.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/WC-2422/Wolfcraft-Hook-Driver/?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=WC-2422

Attachments

• wolfcraft-hook-driver-WC-2422.jpg
    wolfcraft-hook-driver-WC-2422.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 39
  • TB-SE10_eye-driver_dtl.jpg
    TB-SE10_eye-driver_dtl.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 33

Ray LeTourneau

Ray, you are right about making it easy to clean under the vents. My concern would be the while going down the road over a period of time the vent could vibrate or shake because of the air movement on the roof. Eventually it could wear through the pin. But maybe not, who knows..

I would be willing to test this for you though. You have my address, just have one sent to me ans I will let you know how it does. :D
The pin mount looks very similar to the Max Air mounts. I'd wager you could substitute small SS machine screws for those hitch pins. You'd be happy then? Thanks for offering to test one though. Since Jim already has one, I'm sure he'll let us know when he loses one.;) My shopping list includes two. Soon I hope...

jbeletti

Key Largo Modification - Added Gasket to Level Up Control Panel Hatch

I have asked Heartland to try to move the Level Up Control Panel out of the storage bay and onto the off-door-side of the coach, ahead of the propane cabinet. When I received my coach, my Level Up Control Panel had been placed above the generator cabinet, under the overhang and inside a lockable hatch.

Another Heartlander mentioned to me, his concern that water from driving in the rain might find it's way to the control panel. Good point. The control panel is sealed and is water resistant (not waterproof as in submersible). So that's good. Water finding its way in should not be an issue.

But, I was putzing around the garage and found a roll of 3/8" weather stripping. So I sealed around the inside of the hatch door.

Waste of time or a good idea? Not sure, doesn't matter, already done :)

Jim

1 - Level Up Hatch Gasket.jpg 2 - Level Up Hatch Gasket.jpg 3 - Level Up Hatch Gasket.jpg 4 - Level Up Hatch Gasket.jpg 5 - Level Up Hatch Gasket.jpg 6 - Level Up Hatch Gasket.jpg

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jim, in my mind any little less water is a good thing. Looks like a great job done on that one. Only would cost a few dollars and maybe save a bunch of headaches later down the road.

Ray LeTourneau

Re: Key Largo Modification - Added Gasket to Level Up Control Panel Hatch

I have asked Heartland to try to move the Level Up Control Panel out of the storage bay and onto the off-door-side of the coach, ahead of the propane cabinet. When I received my coach, my Level Up Control Panel had been placed above the generator cabinet, under the overhang and inside a lockable hatch.
Nice idea Jim. It appears Heartland is applying a mar resistant coating on the front lower section of the rig. This should help resist road debris damage.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Re: Key Largo Modification - Added Gasket to Level Up Control Panel Hatch

Jim - just a quick question - I thought the newest LevelUp system now comes with a remote, therefore the need to get to the panel is not as important as in the past?

jbeletti

Byrd,

My understanding is that the 2013 model year Landmark comes with the Linc Remote System from Lippert. From what I dug into on the menu thus far, I see no Auto Level selection. I can raise and lower the front jacks - but that's all I've found this far on the remote.

Jim