My 2013 Landmark Key Largo

jbeletti

Re: Key Largo Modification - Added Lexan Storm Windows

Jim, having done it both ways do you recommend Lexan or Plexi?

Cliff and Mindy

Cliff and Mindy,

I have not had much time with the Lexan yet. I will say a couple things about the Lexan:
- It's very strong
- It's heavier than Plexiglass

But so far - we like it.

Jim

danemayer

Re: Key Largo Modification - Added Storage Tube for Window Covers

Jim, on screendoor mod:
1. Did you install the Lexan on the inside?
2. In picture #1, next to the velcro, is that double-sided tape to hold the j-channel in place?
3. On the top panel, where you used 2" pieces of j-channel on the sides, did you just place them about 1/2 way up?

jbeletti

Jim, on screendoor mod:
1. Did you install the Lexan on the inside?
2. In picture #1, next to the velcro, is that double-sided tape to hold the j-channel in place?
3. On the top panel, where you used 2" pieces of j-channel on the sides, did you just place them about 1/2 way up?

Hi Dan,

1. Yes - on the inside
2. I used 3M Trim Tape (auto parts store)
3. Yes, about half way up. The upper piece is long and heavy. Even when I used plexi, it would bow in the center. Hence, the short sections used as holding clips

I have not yet removed either section, but when I do, I'll know how well the holder sections will work out during Lexan removal. If they do not allow for pretty easy removal and reinstallation, I'll remove the small holder pieces and use more white Velcro as I've used in the past for the sides.

sgtbigb

Jim, where did u get the containers for your window screens
A couple years ago, I had perforated vinyl window screens made for 3 of the windows for my demo coach. This January, I had one of those screens modified by the maker so it would fit the dinette window on my current demo coach. When I turned the last demo coach in, I removed a storage tube I had made fo these window screens.

Now with the Key Largo, I needed to remount this storage tube. Due to other items mounted on the "ideal" spot for this large tube, I decided to add it about 3 feet from the back end of the coach. I don't "think" that this far back will be a scrape risk - we'll see.

Anyway, I'm at a campground in Florida and made do with what I had to get this remounted. From the pictures, you can see what I used for cribbing to hold the tube in place for the remount. I brought a 14 volt charger for my 18 volt DeWalt drill battery, so drilling 3/8" holes to reuse my old mounting hardware was a no-go.

I checked with my pal Dick Hill. He had a box of 3/4" length Tek screws. 1" would be better, but these will work for now.

Dick came down to my site in a support role :)

The remount turned out fine. Later this week I'll replace the screws with 1" Tek screws and call this one d-o-n-e.

View attachment 18290 View attachment 18291 View attachment 18292 View attachment 18293

jbeletti

Re: Key Largo Modification - Added buckle Straps over Entertainment Gear

Gene,

Lowes or Home Depot - can't remember which. It's a plastic fence post and top caps.

Jim

danemayer

Re: Key Largo Modification - Added External Cellular Antenna and MiFi

plastic fence post
I've been shopping for one to use for the sewer hose for the past few days. Austin area Lowe's and Home Depot stopped carrying them and now special order them only. $35-40 plus shipping. 3 week delivery. I guess they weren't selling fast enough. Fortunately, one of the local fence companies does plastic vinyl fencing and had them for $18.

wildwolfproducts

Re: Key Largo Modification - Replaced Porch Light Bulb with LED (Revolution 400)

On the last several coaches, I've changed the standard porch light out for one of those Smart Light 1000, motion sensor lights.

How hard was it to trade out this light? Reason I ask, sounds like something I will be doing to ours the first season. Wish I had seen something on these a few years ago, the one on our Truck camper would have been changed out also.
Did a search but did not find where you did a write up on doing this?
Pete

jbeletti

Re: Key Largo Modification - Replaced Porch Light Bulb with LED (Revolution 400)

Pete,

Really easy mod to change out the porch light. Here's the steps to a process as I see it:

1. With porch light switched OFF, remove lens from porch light, remove bulb, remove 2 screws that hold light onto side of coach
  2. Carefully pull the light off the side of the coach and work some slack in the power wires, out the hole and into the open
  3. One at a time, cut the 2 power wires, leaving enough slack to splice them to the wires on the new light
  4. Remove the lens and the bulb from the new light. Apply some butyl tape around the perimeter of the new light (at its base) but do not cover the drain hold/slot if there is one
  5. Using butt splices, connect the wires coming out of the coach, to the wires on the new light and carefully feed the wires and butt splices into the wall of the coach
  6. Add some silicone sealant to the old screw holes and into the hole where the wires come out of the wall of the coach
  7. Carefully orient the light and press it onto the side of the coach. The butyl tape will help it stick to the wall - somewhat
  8. Screw the light onto the side of the coach. Note that generally, the holes in the new light will not line up with the existing holes, but the new light will fully cover the old holes
  9. Add the light bulb, test the light by turning the light switch on
  10. Add the lens and enjoy

Note that my process above is from me personally to you and is not an official Heartland guide or process. It was also written off the top of my head. It should get you close enough to figure out anything I've left out.

Jim

donr827

Jim, Is Heartland starting to use the Smart Light 1000 on 2013 Bighorns. My 2013 Bighorn has what looks like a Smart Light 1000 instead of the standard porch light. I had purchased one for my previous sob but decided to buy a new trailer and never installed it. Pulled it out of the closet and they look identical.
Don

wildwolfproducts

Pete,

Really easy mod to change out the porch light. Here's the steps to a process as I see it:

1. With porch light switched OFF, remove lens from porch light, remove bulb, remove 2 screws that hold light onto side of coach
  2. Carefully pull the light off the side of the coach and work some slack in the power wires, out the hole and into the open
  3. One at a time, cut the 2 power wires, leaving enough slack to splice them to the wires on the new light
  4. Remove the lens and the bulb from the new light. Apply some butyl tape around the perimeter of the new light (at its base) but do not cover the drain hold/slot if there is one
  5. Using butt splices, connect the wires coming out of the coach, to the wires on the new light and carefully feed the wires and butt splices into the wall of the coach
  6. Add some silicone sealant to the old screw holes and into the hole where the wires come out of the wall of the coach
  7. Carefully orient the light and press it onto the side of the coach. The butyl tape will help it stick to the wall - somewhat
  8. Screw the light onto the side of the coach. Note that generally, the holes in the new light will not line up with the existing holes, but the new light will fully cover the old holes
  9. Add the light bulb, test the light by turning the light switch on
  10. Add the lens and enjoy

Note that my process above is from me personally to you and is not an official Heartland guide or process. It was also written off the top of my head. It should get you close enough to figure out anything I've left out.

Jim

Thanks this is one mod that will for sure be added. Buddy of mine has a touch plate by his door, looks like a piece of SS. You touch it the light comes on, always liked that . But this will beat that, plus allow it to come on when needed not drawing in lots of bugs.
Pete

MaxOwner

Re: Key Largo Modification - Utility Wall Entry

The utility walls are usually held in place by 3 or 4 white screws in the back left corner of the UDC and 2 or 3 black screws on the left edge of the wall.

Since I've been in and out of my utility area for testing, repairing and modifying, I decided to make it easier to get the wall down.

To the back of the UDC, I added a 32" tall 2x2. I used long deck screws in place of the 3 smaller white screws inside the UDC to hold the 2x2 in place. My wall was sort of tilted too. That is, it rested on the floor okay, but the gap across the top was tapered. I placed a 1x2 on edge behind the utility wall, raised the wall up so it was level across the top and ran some drywall screws into the wall and then into the 1x2. Level wall across the top now :)

Then, to make the wall screwless to remove and replace, I bought 4 Draw Hasps - two for each side of the wall. So far, I've only installed the 2 for the right side, nearest the UDC. Later, I'll add the other 2 on the left.

View attachment 18211 View attachment 18213

Hey Jim.

Next time you are in the storage area and have the panel open, can you take a few pictures of the 2x2 and 1x2 mounts, please?

Also, where did you get the hasps? Local Home Depot didn't have them.