My Never Fail Bushings - Failed.

brianharrison

This thread has been inactive for almost two months now. OP, what has transpired since then?
Nothing. Sonny from Mobile Outfitters and I were not able to connect up partially due to my fault (busy schedule).

I will be monitoring my new wet bolt brass bushings, heavy duty shackles - and will be inspecting the brass bushings in the spring eyes next year.

I lost interest in the Never-Fails.

Brian

diugo

That's too bad. I was most interested in learning how they handled the "never fail" guarantee---which could have ranged from simply denying your warranty due to a defect in the spring, or lack of installer "certification", to full reimbursement not only for the bushings but the labor as well.

I believe the concept of the product is sound; look at nylon lube plates on kingpins---much better than using grease. It's just the implementation that's lacking.

mobilcastle

Make sure you keep greasing the wet bolts. I had a set on an SOB and they would not take grease after a while-I tried everything to get grease in. Heat power lube gun, take load off, etc. I finally had to loosen the bolt and slightly turn it so grease would flow then retighten. I have never fails in right now-I hope they don't FAIL! Time will tell.

brianharrison

Make sure you keep greasing the wet bolts. I had a set on an SOB and they would not take grease after a while-I tried everything to get grease in. Heat power lube gun, take load off, etc. I finally had to loosen the bolt and slightly turn it so grease would flow then retighten. I have never fails in right now-I hope they don't FAIL! Time will tell.

Yes, will do - I installed the wet bolts with the exit hole facing upwards, ie no load on the hole when at rest. Time will tell if the brass bushings fail as well, and grab the bolt and spin them around.....:)

Brian

MTPockets

As an FYI, the bearings are 'bronze' bearings - brass would be too hard. (Not bring critical)... Also, many industrial users order bronze bearing with oil hole and oil grooves to keep grease where it belongs. Only restriction is the wall thickness of these bronze bearings may be too thin, but if not, an oil groove would sure help.

jasons09cyclone

I just installed wet bolt from mor/ryde to my rig and it says that the grease hole should be marked on the bolt so you know if the hole moves out of its 11 or 1 Oclock location it was supposed to be set at.. Just wondering if any one installed them that way and still had problems...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MTPockets

Got it - thanks! Bronze. I did not realize there was a hardness difference in brass/bronze. Different material? Forming process, or both?
Brass would be really hard and not a good bearing. Industrial bearing suppliers most commonly use SAE660 bearing bronze for best overall performance. I really can't know what your bushings are, but suspect the 660. The are different compounds, but when I need new bushings, I'll get the SAE660 from Motion Industries, with oil holes and grease groove if there is enough wall thickness. If not, just the holes.

diugo

I will be inspecting the brass bushings in the spring eyes next year.

I wish the inspection process wasn't so nontrivial. Lifting all four wheels off the ground (or even two on one side) is not something one would want to do annually. Is there an easier way?

And driving out splined bolts just to check the bushings also takes a small toll on the holes in the shackle plates and spring hangers. Is there a way to properly "unspline" a hole?

brianharrison

I wish the inspection process wasn't so nontrivial. Lifting all four wheels off the ground (or even two on one side) is not something one would want to do annually. Is there an easier way?

And driving out splined bolts just to check the bushings also takes a small toll on the holes in the shackle plates and spring hangers. Is there a way to properly "unspline" a hole?

Removing the nuts on the bolts in both ends of the shackle and removing the shackle with the bolts still intact in the shackle allows inspection of the "travelling" spring end - ie at the EX-Flex or EquiFlex. Gives an indication of wear on these bronze bushings. My experience is these bushings have greater movement (thus wear) than the fixed end of the spring (attached to the frame mounts).

My $0.02.

Brian

caissiel

I inspect one nylon bushing and if worn I just change them all. No problem no worry for 4 years and 20k miles on my BC. Total cost $20 for new bushings.
It will be a long time before I could see my payback for neverfail bushings that will fail anyway.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2

wdk450

I inspect one nylon bushing and if worn I just change them all. No problem no worry for 4 years and 20k miles on my BC. Total cost $20 for new bushings.
It will be a long time before I could see my payback for neverfail bushings that will fail anyway.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2

I thought the NeverFail Bushings were $40 - Just 2 times the plastic bushings.

diugo

Darn it, I really liked the idea of using the strongest possible nylon available, in hopes of never having to deal with the suspension again. But 1/16" of material just cannot stand up to the forces involved.

If I ever bust a spring, I am going to look into four replacement springs with larger eye holes---then machine my own large nylatron bushings. That combo may well be the golden ticket.

In the mean time, I'll do as you suggest---leave the hanger bolts alone and just inspect the shackles. Thanks!

wdk450

Darn it, I really liked the idea of using the strongest possible nylon available, in hopes of never having to deal with the suspension again. But 1/16" of material just cannot stand up to the forces involved.

If I ever bust a spring, I am going to look into four replacement springs with larger eye holes---then machine my own large nylatron bushings. That combo may well be the golden ticket.

In the mean time, I'll do as you suggest---leave the hanger bolts alone and just inspect the shackles. Thanks!

I think the "Golden Ticket" is independent suspension. No springs, equalizers, shackles, wet bolts or bushings.

MTPockets

Actually, depending on the material, thin could be better. A softer material that is thick could flatten under loads, while a hard thin material would provide greater support. I think that's the idea behind the Neverfail, but as I stated before, that depends on a solid, accurate support housing which is a concern of mine with the rolled spring ends.

diugo

A larger bushing could flatten---or it could distort to better fit the irregular spring opening.

Maybe a better solution simply involves filling the spring eye with epoxy or even molten metal, to fill all the voids. Then carefully drilling a new 11/16" hole to provide the better support housing.

Re Independent Suspension: I had the opportunity to experience it in a friend's pickup this past summer. Absolutely amazing. Glided over rocks like they weren't even there. Unfortunately the $3000 price tag rules it out for me.

brianharrison

An update.

It has been another year, travel and use for the trailer was about the same as the previous year when my never fails did not work out.

I replaced the never fails with brass and wet bolts last summer, I greased them twice in 12 months.

I just inspected the new setup, bushings are OK, including the travelling spring eye. Since I drove all the old bushings out, I replaced with new brass bushings. I will do the check and bushing replacement again next year as well.

Brian

mobilcastle

Brian
Keep greasing them. I had some on a SOB 5ver and they stopped taking grease-plugged up. I ended up taking them part-what a pain.