My safety chains are to short, or are they?

firstone

I have always crossed my safety chains. They are not long enough on my 2013 North Trail to do this. I also have to run them over my 4 point hitch instead of hanging under it. Where do I get extensions? Whats the best way to make them longer without welding new ones on? Where to find the equipment rated to handle the same weight as the stock one?

Sigma

The chains on my NT were also too short. The dealer installed a pair of large oval screw connector links on the loops of my hitch to connect the tow chain hooks to. Works great.
Make sure you use at least a 1/2" link for strength. I tried to insert a picture but could not get it to work.

Sig

EandJ

They are supposed to hang under your hitch (crossed is correct). The theory is to catch your hitch if it becomes unhooked and keep it from dragging the ground and digging in. (and meanwhile still keep your trailer chained to your TV) so you have some (tiny) semblance of control when everything goes pear-shaped.

I had to get extensions on my North Trail due to the type of hitch I have. I think the extensions were about 12" long. Maybe 15". Just go to Tractor Supply or the equivalent in your area and get the right lenghts. Then get two double clevis links.

You just take the cotter pins out of your hooks on your chain ends, put on the clevis links and extensions and put the hooks back on. Works great.

In my case, I had to also extend the emergency trailer brake loop also about 12".

pegmikef

Yeah Mike, I had the same problem with mine when I had my F150, so I extended them as previously described, but when I went to the F250, I had to shorten them again, because it was a different hitch and is perfect for the factory length. I don't know why they don't use the same hitch on the F150.

priorguy

The dealer gave me the clevis hooks when i picked up my rig. They don't cost much. They also took the time to adjust the wd hitch for the new trailer. Any respectable dealer won't let you leave unless you're hooked up correctly and safe. They even told me to take it easy as the trailer was empty and riding high. The advice from them to add one more link on the chain once loaded was pefect.