N Scale Model Railroad Build

irvin56

your truck must be doing okay as now your building a small scale train. lookin good.
I guess you slowed down now for the winter months?
will pick up again in spring for haulin.
Hows the car hauling back buisness?

What other building talents do you have ??

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Hi Irvin.

This truck has been doing very well. Very dependable. Being able to haul larger trailers that others can't has really helped keep me busy through a very slow summer and fall season. RV shipping has been extremely slow the last month or so and won't pick up until January. Heartland and Dutchman have kept me busier than most the last couple months and I thank them both.

Did well with cars. Cars don't pay well at all as a single vehicle, but for me they are pretty much pure profit on the way back and really help the bottom line.

I have some hard decisions with my business to deal with over the next few weeks and my stress level over the holidays is through the roof. My trains are keeping me sane, it's my way of meditating.

ChopperBill

My folks moved me out west in "47" and until "63" I lived 1 block from the RR. Use to go and stand by the tracks just looking and waving at the trains. Question is there some web site that would give the years and make/model of the train used in certain eras? Kind of would like to go back to my child hood with this hobby, but will be darned if I remember what they were. Seems there was steamer and electric going by.

pmmjarrett

I can't help you there, never really dug into it much.

You lived through and witnessed the "transition era from steam to diesel. Just about any steam locomotive from the 2-8-0 Constellation to the early EMD and Alco diesel locomotives would bring back those childhood memories. Could even get into the SD24, GP30 and GP35 in the 60's

The transistion era is probably the easiest to model with details available from the 40s, 50s and 60s. I'd say model the 50s and run steam engines like the Mikado and Challenger along side E and F series EMD and Alco PA PB models.

I suggest you find out the history and which railroad ran through the tracks you watched as a kid and start fom there. For all I know you may have actually witnessed famous trains like the California Zepher pass you enroute from Denver to Salt Lake while being pulled by a D&RGW Alco PA+PB+PA consists or EMD F3 A+B+B+A consists.

Bet there's someone here that may have witnessed some Big Boys working over Sherman pass....... OK...... Fess up and tell your story folks.

Me, I watched the Chessie System pull auto parts into and out of GM plants my dad worked in as a kid in the 60's and early 70s. Loved the colorful locomotives. Also my folks took us to see the Bicentenial American Freedom Train.

jimtoo

I suggest you find out the history and which railroad ran through the tracks you watched as a kid and start fom there. For all I know you may have actually witnessed famous trains like the California Zepher pass you enroute from Denver to Salt Lake while being pulled by a D&RGW Alco PA+PB+PA consists or EMD F3 A+B+B+A consists.

Fess up and tell your story folks.
Yep.. saw the California Zepher..and, or the Rock Island Rocket.several times... wife actually rode it from Glenwood Springs, Co. to Chicago 2 or 3 times about 61--62--63 era..

pmmjarrett

That's good stuff Jim, thanks for sharing.

Ain't getting much done today either. Did make a little progress digging ditches, making paper wads and laying plaster cloth.

One often overlooked detail in a model railroad is drainage. Get some ditches and culverts in to get water away from the tracks and roads. It brings in a whole new level of realism to your layout giving you a reason add more details like culverts, cattails and drain pipes.
IMG00363-20101214-1922.jpg

If you get tired of making paper wads but don't really want to quit playing yet chop up a roll of plaster cloth into 8" - 12" long sections. I like to work with 8" x 8" squares of the stuff myself and chop a piece into 4"x8" or 4"x4" pieces when needed for hard to work areas like the tunnel portals.
IMG00369-20101214-1923.jpg

Lay down the plaster cloth and smooth it out. Overlap the pieces about 50% and when done it will be 2 layers thick and very strong. Once you start laying down the cloth the scenery really starts to come to life. This is one of my favorite parts of building a layout.
IMG00368-20101214-1922.jpg

IMG00373-20101214-1924.jpg

pmmjarrett

Oh Yea. The Santa Fe Super Chief..... or is it the El Capitan...... or is it both. Thats an EMD F7A in front. Now is it an ABB(that's all you can see in this pic) or an ABBA consist or an ABBBA consist. Santa Fe was known for keeping these trains washed and looking good. I have heard that they would even go as far as to stop, wash them and touch up the paint if needed before pulling into a station.

Any way you slice it you're in luck, Kato makes it all in N scale for you. The F7A units, the F7B units, the full Super Chief car set and the full El Capitan car set. They even have interior lighting kits for the cars.

ChopperBill

Love the look of the engine but it could be a little boring just as a passenger train.

on edit: Ah,so! I see that Kato makes the Super Chief in a freight trail set!

Last edited:

pmmjarrett

You will be bored to tears after an hour of watching any train run circles on an oval of track on the kitchen table once the novelty wears off and that's where the modeling comes in.

If you like building models, this is the grand daddy of them all. You ain't just building a plane, car, ship or train........ You're building the whole railroad, the cities, towns and moving mountains. The railroads have never stopped maintaining or upgrading and the same goes for a model railroad layout. A layout is never finished, there is always something else you can do and it's a great way to spend an hour or 2 between your favorite TV shows when you are retired. It's a great way to keep mentaly sharp reading and researching and maintain manual dexterity by working with your hands too.

The Super Chief is the name of the passenger train. They make a Super Chief passenger starter set that comes with track and a power pack.

The Santa Fe F7 freight set is just the locomotive and cars, you need to purchase an M1 or M2 track set that come with a power pack to go with it.

They also used to have a Santa Fe F3 set that came with the locomotive, cars and a 4'x2' oval of track but no power pack and are a little hard to find, these are no longer in production but they are out there......Cornfuzed yet?????

There is an F3 set on evilbay right now

pmmjarrett

Got a little more done building the mountain, more paper wads and plaster cloth. That's about all I'll be doing for the next few days.

One other thing I forgot to mention. When using plaster cloth, wear some old jeans to wipe your hands on and use something disposable like a paint tray liner or an old foam take out dish to hold the water you are dipping the paster cloth in. plaster doesn't wash out of the jeans and Mama will be steamin' hot if you use her favorite cassarole dish or spaggetti pot because it's very hard to scrub out.:angel:
IMG00393-20101215-1754.jpg

I like how it's turning out. If you don't like something, no worries, it's easy to chop out a section and do over.
IMG00376-20101215-1750.jpg

This section is going to look good with rock faces, retaining walls and the cut stone tunnel portals installed.
IMG00380-20101215-1751.jpg

IMG00382-20101215-1751.jpg

The track is just pushed over to install plaster cloth.
IMG00385-20101215-1752.jpg

This will be a great spot for a coal mine. Might put in a Farm I have sitting on the shelf, could turn it from a dairy farm to a cattle ranch and set a couple of stock cars I have on the spur also and get the ranchers to start loading them.
IMG00389-20101215-1753.jpg

skyguy

Looking great, Mike! Starting to take shape.

If you don't mind me jumping forward... How do you "plant" trees?

Trains- my favorite was watching the freights crawl up the 3% grade west side of Tennessee Pass by Camp Hale (North of Leadville, CO). The line was abandoned (but not officially yet) in 1997, so no more trains there for a long while.
frown.png
Probably the catalyst was the wreck in the fall of '94, a green crew let one get away from them coming down the west side. Derailed. A three engines derailed, spilled fuel and caused quite a mess, destroying several trees.

For more, google D&RGW Tennessee Pass...
http://www.drgw.net/info/index.php?n=Main.TP1994Wreck

Al

Last edited:

pmmjarrett

Thank you.

Planting trees. So easy it isn't funny.

Just need a tree, pointed knife and glue. I'm using Hob-e-tac for this temp installation but will use a very small dab of hot glue(really quickly too) when I make it permanent. White glue works good on plaster cloth too. The Hob-e-tac never seems to completely dry and stays tacky. Great if you'll be pulling them up to move them and it's what Woodland Scenics recommends to plant them. I like hot glue because it is hard very quickly, great for planting on slopes. Bad for rearanging them. have to cut them out leaving a bigger hole to fill.
IMG00394-20101216-0951.jpg

Poke a very small hole in the plaster cloth.
IMG00398-20101216-0953.jpg

Pull the base off the tree, leaves a nice stem to plant.
IMG00399-20101216-0954.jpg

Put a little glue on the stem.
IMG00401-20101216-0955.jpg

Plant it and admire your work. If you don't like where you put it pull it up and cover the hole back up with the scenery material you used to cover the layout or put a bush over it.
IMG00404-20101216-0956.jpg

IMG00405-20101216-0957.jpg

skyguy

Thank you!

For some reason, I was thinking the plaster would be much thicker. Yep that looks really EZ.

I edited my post early this AM, but then forgot to save it. Just noticed, and posted the edit - got my facts about the wreck straightened out. I've got the bug to do a setup - just what I need, another hobby! But stargazing i really low in Colorado this time of year - it' jut too dang cold out at night!

Al

pmmjarrett

2 layers of plaster cloth is only about 1/16th inch thick, not 1/4" thick like a doctor would make it in a cast. 2 layers makes a pretty hard solid shell for this application and it's still thin enough to easily modify as needed.

I see your thermometer telling me it's 28*F right now, I ain't going outside unless it's for another arm full of firewood..... Stargazing at 28*F.....Oh no.....that ain't happening.

pmmjarrett

Didn't accomplish anything but spending money today. Scored a C&O H4 2-6-6-2 locomotive on Evilbay. Now I gotta figure out how to get it here and where to park it.
co1308.jpg

OK it's really not that big.

Scored a brand spanking new $285 N scale dual mode DCC equipped Bachmann Spectrum C&O H4 2-6-6-2 #1397 for $100 on a no reserve auction. This is a new unoppened one from a hobby shop, not one of the so called "NEW, Test run only" locos from somebody unloading one.

Now I'm not a fan of Bachmann but the few Spectrum pieces I have had from them did run well unlike the early stuff I had from them. This loco has fantastic detail but had mixed reviews on performance but for the price I can't go wrong if I have to tweak it a bit. One of the biggest issues is lack of traction on grades which is easily cured with a product called "Bullfrog Snot" I'm not going to be able to pull trains much longer than 15 - 20 cars on this layout anyways and have it still look good.
BAC-82673-2.jpg

BAC-82673-3.jpg

BAC-82673-4.jpg

Bighurt

Weird that I missed a thread on model railroading on this forum...2 weeks and 8 pages, I'm impressed.

I modeled N scale long ago, and have since moved on, granted N scale would probably be easier due to space considerations but none the less I model the bigger stuff.

I currently model Wisconsin & Southern in HO scale and in Large scale 1:29 I model BNSF.

Granted 1:29 isn't a true scale but for outside it's close enough.

I can be found on;

My Large Scale
Model Railroader
Model Railroad Hobbiest

under the same user name "Bighurt"

I did read a post on rail size and code 55 is technically to large for prototype or fine scale modeling in N scale. N scale code 55 rail, scales out to 8.8" tall which would equate to 165# rail on the prototype. Currently the largest rail used today is 150# rail and that is only on the big main lines, much of the rail used in the US is actually 115# rail which actually works out to code 40 in N scale.

I am re-doing my HO Scale layout and I intend to use Micro-Engineering rail, I'm planning to use code 83 for the shared mains of CPR and Union Pacific, all other WSOR mains will be code 70 with code 55 for sidings and spurs.

Currently acquiring code 250 aluminum rail for my 1:29th outdoor pike.

Looking forward to see some finished pictures.

I always love to talk trains.

pmmjarrett

PMM;
your trucks not big enough.??:confused:

UUUMMM do we see another build comin on. :DLOL

You can never have a truck too big;)

Hey Bighurt.

If I was messing with code 40 I'd probably go ahead and hand lay the track on wood ties. I ain't ready to go to that level of insanity yet. I am going to hand lay some code 55 on the curved wood trestle I have to build. Was going to use micro engineering bridge flex but it seem everyone is out of stock.

On you G scale, are you running battery power on the aluminum track. Aluminum rail is a beach to keep clean, especially outdoor.

On my Aristocraft BNSF Dash-9, I modified the body so the center section lifted off and I could slide a custom built pack of 16 NiCad D cells in it over top of the sound board. I was also able to stuff 2 additional Dash-9 weights in the fuel tank. That loco weighed about 25 lbs with the batteries and 5 weight in it.

pmmjarrett

Spent yesterday finishing up the mountain and currently working on the river and water falls. Before I get too much further with the plaster cloth I need to go ahead and run my wiring. Dug out a stash of switches and junction blocks from past layouts. I will be powering the spurs, mainline and siding separately. Mostly so I have a place to park a couple trains without removing tham as I'm not running DCC..... Yet.
IMG00417-20101218-1131.jpg

IMG00421-20101218-1132.jpg

IMG00424-20101218-1133.jpg

Spent a little time repairing and improving 9 of my old freight cars that were in pretty rough shape from wrecks and abuse over the years. Everything but the Thrall stack cars are getting Microtrains trucks and couplers with Fox Vally Models metal wheelsets. I guage every one of their wheel sets and they were dead on perfect with the NMRA gauge on all 36 wheel sets I installed yesterday. Well done FVM. Body mounting the couplers isn't happening right now, several of these old cars need major work to attach a body mount coupler.
IMG00413-20101218-1130.jpg

Weeeee........ Only 40 more to go. There ain't enough room on the layout to park all this stuff. The Thrall stack cars will be getting microtrains trucks with short extension couplers on the end units with FVM 33" wheels. The articulated joints are getting BLMA trucks with 33" wheels.
IMG00429-20101218-1202.jpg

IMG00427-20101218-1202.jpg