narrowing down our choices

We are narrowing down our choices for our full time rig. We went to look at some Big Horns last weekend, and were somewhat disappointed. The drawer bottoms were weak, and the drawers were stapled together instead of screwed, which I was expecting on a model near the top of a line.
My question is, are the Landmarks built basically the same as the Big Horn? We have not been inside a Landmark yet, so I have no way to know how much higher end they are. We are impressed with Heartland on paper, and with the customer support that we have read so much about.

jimtoo

Hi fulltime5er,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

For the drawers, I don't think we have had hardly any complaints about them breaking or giving problems. I don't think you will find any one that screws the drawers together. Maybe if you get into the custom built unit, but your talking 200K and up I would think. I'm sure you will get some more answers here from other members soon.

The Heartland folks have the best customer service there is. They also have some of the best dealers and service folks.

Enjoy the forum and buy a Heartland Unit and join us at a rally.

Jim M

Westwind

We have spent two winters in Florida in our Bighorn and haven't had any problems with our cabinet drawers. We don't have them loaded up with anything heavy. Our pans are in one under our stove if my memory serves me. Overall we have been very happy with our Bighorn. Had the hinge problem with the cabinet doors where the plastic plugs came out of cabinet, glued them in and that solved the problem.
I feel for what we paid for our Bighorn we did well at that price point.

hotonpi

I would agree with Jim - we've had no issues with our drawers - the camper's, that is, LOL! We've had our Cyclone 3950 for 3 years now and find that we like it better each year. I think it's the best compromise between functionality and comfort, especially for FT. The "garage' area makes a great porch/dining room/garage/storage/bedroom/guest room/catch-all place in the RV. Although we had a few initial hiccups, after the initial shakedown cruise and Heartland's outstanding support, we've had good success with this rig.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
ALong with the other replies, our drawers are holding up well. Pun intended.:eek: We did have the large drawer under our oven come apart on the bottom because it holds our pot & pans. As full timers back then, there were quite a few pat & pans. I repaired it and have had no issues since. I think under normal circumstances, the drawers aren't a concern.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The drawers in our 07 BH have never been an issue except the pan drawer that Ray mentioned. Fixed it and all is well and that was 5 years ago.

As to Rays, mine and a few others. Duct tape helps keep our drawers up on our bottoms.

dewwood

You did not mention which model you were looking at but be aware that there is a Bighorn Silverado line that is a lower price point unit than the Bighorn. I mention that because I was not aware that the Bighorn drawers were stapled.

Theresau

I suggest you also look at the Big Country's - there is very little difference between BH and BC. Gold version is very nice on the outside... Cabinets are actually the same as those offered with the Landmark - Bordeaux. There were a few things that BH had but we added those such as the rubber mat in the storage basement area and we liked the BH vinyl design better. We also got the regular sink rather than vessel.

I suggest comparing all three brands - we had to take Landmark out of the picture because we only tow with a 3/4 ton TV. But I spent a great deal of time comparing all three and looking at options etc. The Landmark's dual AC system sounds very nice - supposed to be quieter. If you get a BH or BC, I suggest getting the 3 speed AC option - we missed out on that and now it's too late per Dometic this week. Our ACs have the 3 speeds but they were not wired when installed to support a thermostat that provides this. Both ACs are ducted and the front can cool the rear...but would have liked to be able to run the rear on medium. Main thing is if ordering to get all you can from the factory then.......

We owned a BH prior and started looking at BH's again and then came upon a lot of 7 BC's in the Tampa CW and were impressed and once we learned we could get all the options we wanted we moved forward with it.

We are narrowing down our choices for our full time rig. We went to look at some Big Horns last weekend, and were somewhat disappointed. The drawer bottoms were weak, and the drawers were stapled together instead of screwed, which I was expecting on a model near the top of a line.
My question is, are the Landmarks built basically the same as the Big Horn? We have not been inside a Landmark yet, so I have no way to know how much higher end they are. We are impressed with Heartland on paper, and with the customer support that we have read so much about.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. All is helpful information. We are still looking into Landmark. Really like the Key largo floorplan. We like some of the Big Country floorplans, as well, so we will see what we can find to get "into" to check out first hand.