Need some tires.....

donroger1

I've been reading. It's never too late it seems.
I have a 2011 North Trail 21FBS which I tow to Missouri each month for a long weekend.
In the last 13 months, I've put about 14K miles on the tires. I noticed that the two tires on the rear axle are getting thin in the center. The wear bars are still "legal" but I would like to replace them before the next trip.
The "factory" tires are Duro ST205/75D14. They are bias ply, load range C with a 6-ply rating. Max load at 50psi is 1760lbs per tire.

I have looked at Goodyear Marathon, Carlisle, Greenball and several others that I've never heard of before.
Several of the replacement tires are radial. They all seem to have the same load rating. Those that list a speed rating show 65 mph.

While I cannot maintain the posted speed limit in the hills or into a headwind, I have towed this trailer at +70 mph for several hours at a time.

I became so frustrated with the steady headwind yesterday that I turned south off of I-35 onto secondary roads in Kansas and wound my way home through some very scenic roads. (in Kansas??? Who knew??) While this approach was much more relaxing, it really stretched out the total trip time. (BTW: these aren't really leisure trips...)

Now for the questions.

Are their tires available with a higher speed rating?

Does it matter whether you run all bias ply tires or all radial ply tires?

jimtoo

Hi donroger1,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure we will have some more of the Heartland family jump in soon with their opinion on tires for your North Trail. I know all ST tires are rated for 65 max.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

donroger1

Thanks Jim!!

This is really an unusual experience for me. Oddly enough, for all the years I've owned campers and RVs, I've never bought a set of tires........

BTW Wonder why my "signature" didn't show in the original post....

Don

jnbhobe

Jim is right about the speed rating on ST tires. As far as radial vs bias tires you would have to check your wheels to see if they are rated for radial tires. You may be able to find some LT tires in 14in or maybe change to 15in and have a bigger selection. LT tires may have a higher speed rating.

donroger1

Thanks Jim.

Haven't seen any LT tires in 14".

Current rims are Sendel T03 in 14" so I believe that radial tires will be okay for the rim. Really wondering about towing stability and possible fuel savings....

Don

jimtoo

I don't know why your signature did not appear in the first one... but it is there now. Maybe we have a ghost working..:)

Jim M

wrgrs50s

I had to replace tires on my 27' ultra light trailer (same size, load range, and rating as you listed). I researched a lot of brands and found that Maxxis radial st has a good track record. They are all rated for 65 but I've put many miles going 70. I noticed they actually improved the handling on my rig (less sway) I think due to a firmer sidewall. I bought mine at Discount tire. They special ordered for me. I got 5 years from my first set which were only B-rated. I dont know of any trailer tires rated above 65 and I dont recommend auto or truck tires, however I've known other rv'rs who have used the LT.

donroger1

I had to replace tires on my 27' ultra light trailer (same size, load range, and rating as you listed). I researched a lot of brands and found that Maxxis radial st has a good track record. They are all rated for 65 but I've put many miles going 70. I noticed they actually improved the handling on my rig (less sway) I think due to a firmer sidewall. I bought mine at Discount tire. They special ordered for me. I got 5 years from my first set which were only B-rated. I dont know of any trailer tires rated above 65 and I dont recommend auto or truck tires, however I've known other rv'rs who have used the LT.

That may turn out to be a great idea. Discount Tire shows the Maxxis to have the same "R" speed rating.

HOWEVER! Maxxis website shows max speed is 65mph......:confused:

Last edited:

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Donroger1... We have the same trailer and after my original tires (Duro bias ply) started to self destruct within the first year, they gave me free replacements.
The caveat was the offer to upgrade to radials. They have been on the trailer for a little over a year now and we put about 4,000 miles on them and they perform very well. (mounted on aluminum wheels)
They are not showing any of the degredation the prior set experienced, they still look like new. I immediately felt an improvement in the handling with the radials.
I never drive over 65 so the speed rating is not an issue with me. I want to think I am getting better gas mileage with the radials but if I am it's probably tenths of a mile per gallon / might just be in my head though! Short answer is... I think radials are the only way to go. Good Luck!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I think the Maxxis tires are a great choice. I also think ALL St tires are rated for a max of 65 mph. It may not have anything to do with the tire's speed capacity but more so with the safety factor in mind while towing. You know, longer stopping distances, handling and other factors. I too get over 65 now and then but I really try to keep it at 65. It's just that BART really like that sweet spot just under 70.

donroger1

One more concern.

Currently, with bias ply tires, when leaving my driveway, the rear bumper of the camper is within 1" of the pavement as I drop down to the street and pull away.

If I change over to radial ply tires of the same size, will the radials "set lower" and cause the rear bumper to drag???

lwmcguir

Most of the tire measurements that you can calculate are withing 1/2 inch of the diameter. Best bet is to look at the tire you might buy already mounted/installed and measure it. Other than G614's which are actually a little shorter than the calculated height should be 99% of the others are very close as I noted. Just had a Cooper 16 inch E rated tire loose the tread yesterday on a flat bed. Had a hard time getting the lug nuts loosened up. Checked the log book and the tires were orginal back to 2001. Not bad service at all for a medium priced radial used in farm/ranch service for 10 years. As most of our traileres the tire had never been balanced and in this case never off the trailer since it was purchased new.

TeJay

I've posted several threads regarding Bias vs radial. I would never, never run anything except radials. With 35 years teaching automotive I was shocked to realize that most smaller TT's come with bias ply tires. My only guesses as to why are, 1. it's cheaper, 2. Most utility trailers use bias tires. 3. I believe traditionally people believe that radials won't stand up to the load weights. As you drive around town check the type of tires used by the 18 wheelers. Yep they are all radials and mostly Michelin's. Advantages: Lower rolling friction, lower heat because of reduced internal friction, better fuel economy, longer tire life, tuffer tire less squirm when cornering. What better reasons would a person want. Also I never heard of any rim that could not use either tire. Usually if there is a concern it is because of the maximum amount of pressure that the rim can handle.
Just my 2 cents worth.
TeJay

donroger1

Thanks for all the comments!
thankyou2.gif

I went by Discount Tire to check on any deals. I had found Goodyear Marathons on sale at Trailer Tire & Wheel Supermarket. The salesperson very nearly matched the sale price. The difference between Discount Tire and TT&WS prices after considering shipping, less than $50 and Discount Tire's pricing includes mounting and balancing.
fing02.gif

Yippee!!! I'm getting radials!!
happybounce.gif

Manzan

Count us in on the new tire parade. Ordered ST215/75R14 Towmasters from Costco on Monday. Will actually cost me $25 per tire. Lippert is giving me $65 per tire for the ones two bad axles chewed up. Had radials on last trailer and sure liked them.

PeternLiane

Radials are just plain better. They help the NT pull better, ride better, wear better and helps by lowering fuel costs. My two cents.

lwmcguir

Thanks for all the comments!
thankyou2.gif

I went by Discount Tire to check on any deals. I had found Goodyear Marathons on sale at Trailer Tire & Wheel Supermarket. The salesperson very nearly matched the sale price. The difference between Discount Tire and TT&WS prices after considering shipping, less than $50 and Discount Tire's pricing includes mounting and balancing.
fing02.gif

Yippee!!! I'm getting radials!!
happybounce.gif

Just put a set of ST Marathons on the trailer that had the 11 year old Coopers. They look good and performed well on the initial runs. Good value for the money.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
I put maxxis tires on my bighorn.only been on a couple of trips in it. they seem to ride well. they are st radials. I would only use a radial, even on a smaller trailer. I think they ride better and if a bias tire sits for awhile it will have a flat spot until it warms up. Only one mans opinion though. :rolleyes: