New 2017 super duty numbers....DROOL!!

IronJ

5 chevy, 6 ford, and 3 dodge here..I've had at least one of each give me some kinda issue but with the chevy and ford they had 100k miles...the 2012 dodge grenaded 2 transmissions trying to pull my 18-19k gooseneck and only has 14k mikes..it wasn't the HD Asian tranny though..lol

That said I usually choose to drive my 10 chevy truck or the 06 325 bmw both with 150k + on the clock ..for one they are older and dings and hail don't scare me and the a/c in the bmw has got to be the most amazing a/c I've ever seen...and that goes a long way when we are hitting 109 degrees out here!!! Lol...

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My last Dodge (pictured below about a 1/2 hour before it began it's final pull of our previous Heartland Trail Runner):

EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg

It had 165,000 miles on it when I sold it almost two years ago.

Still had original tranny, motor, exhaust (except for the catalytic converter) and purred like a kitten.

The new owner made four trips from Denver to Rochester, New York pulling a car trailer and now it is the best looking 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 in Rochester (absolutely no rust).

He did inform me recently that at around 190,000 miles he finally did have to have the tranny rebuilt.

And it is still running strong!

BigGuy82

What I was saying is the basic under pinning of the F250/F350 have not changed in 18 years or so, as both GM and RAM have upgraded their frames. Facts are just that. 2017 is a first real major redo in that many years, bringing it up to date with what the others have been doing.

Normally, I don't like to get into "best truck" arguments - they all seem kind of pointless ... if you like your truck, it's the best truck - end of argument. But letting inaccurate comments pass helps nobody, so here's my two cents. The Ford upgrades in chassis and electronics don't "bring it up to date" with what others are doing (and certainly, Ford had a bunch of catching up to do) - it far surpasses what others have. There is a lot of catching up now for the competition to do in areas such as frame build (strength), a 360 degree camera system, trailer blind spot monitoring, trailer back up cam with image on console, trailer TPMS monitored on the dash and of course the aluminum body ... the list goes on.

If you watch the 2017 Ford intro videos, Ram and GM would have a hard time keeping up feature-to-feature. Regarding engines and trannys, you can keep that old saw going as much as you want. I've beat living **** out of my Fords for years and have NEVER had ANY major issues and I'm very sure RAM and GM folks can tell the same tales. I looked very carefully before buying my latest truck and was impressed by the RAM. However, two things pushed me to settle on Ford (besides the excellent track record) - the features of the new 2017's and the physical apppearance of the truck - I just didn't like looks of the Dodge front end.

In the years that follow, RAM and GM will introduce competitive products that catch up with Ford and even surpass it, at which point Ford will need to do the same. Ain't competition grand? However, right now all three brands are really great but Ford clearly is the leader when all aspects are considered.

BigGuy82

Not sure this is what I would like to move up to.

Peace
Dave

Well that settles it! I'm cancelling my new Super Duty 350 order. After all, if a truck expert like Howie Long says it and some totally trustworthy ad agency guy tells me it's an honest test, well then I'd be a fool to buy the truck. I still can't figure out why Ford light trucks are the best selling vehicle in America (I'm not sure ... maybe the planet?). Maybe I'll give Howie a call and ask him ...:rolleyes:

PS - I don't care what truck anyone buys. I just wish them the best with it. If you love it, then it's the best truck out there. That said, of course I know that my truck is really better than anyone else's.

BigGuy82

That's cool, but I'm hoping it will go up over 100 psi. As mine are 115psi

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

THAT is a really great question that unfortunately my dealer hasn't been able to answer. It does seem like Ford is playing all of the critical numbers close to the vest.

IronJ

Not sure this is what I would like to move up to.

Peace
Dave
Lest ye shall get used to it
..chevy is for sure going aluminum by 18 and prob dodge too...well unless your keeping your (insert brand here) truck you have.... and there is nothing wrong with that...diesel trucks these days last a good long time...

I know lots of 150 owners who work with their trucks and none complaining about a load of bricks falling out of a front end loader busting their bed...lol..In light of gms future I think the ads are dumb...as does ford obviously as they have not changed the design for their superduty and they had plenty of time to do so?

I think this article (below)makes very valid observations..but hey...politicians change convictions like they change underware (just look at Mrs obama..lol) and no one cares...so gm can too when they unveil thier "ford stomping machine " made of cheluminum (their better aluminum than ford)..lol

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...s-an-aluminum-can-on-ford?X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

I will say that a superglide hitch will put a hole in a steel bed with a quickness...ask my old dodge!!!

Anyway...I gotta say I am somewhat surprised that it's an ALL aluminum bed ...wonder how much weight savings is lost by adding a steel floor at least?..I mean steel is good in some cases...you don't see frames made of aluminum on HD trucks??.

Carleen

All I can say- Thank goodness there are different trucks out there. I would hate for all of us to have the same opinion- We would have nothing to argue about!

On a more serious note: Can you really go wrong with any of the current generation Diesel Trucks?? The technology is beyond anything we could have dreamed about in the 70's and 80's. I like all of them. I really do. I can't put one or the other down. I had a heck of a time picking one out as a "keeper" because I would rather have one of each. A white Dodge, Black GMC, and a ruby Red Ford.

Capture.JPG

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I had a heck of a time picking one out as a "keeper" because I would rather have one of each. A white Dodge, Black GMC, and a ruby Red Ford.

My Chevy is 'Metallic Ruby Red' . . .

My old Dodge was the same color, although it was called 'Burgandy'!

CamperInYard-IMG_0069.jpg

ProwlerInSantaFe-IMAG0216.jpg

SNOKING

There is a lot of catching up now for the competition to do in areas such as frame build (strength),

Maybe you have not tracked what RAM has done in recent years. RAM redid their 3500 frames in 2013 and left FORD and Chevy in the dust, I guess you have never seen any of the frame twist videos. Ford can not build a better frame than the RAM already has without creating a 5T tare weight truck. They are already dieting with aluminum body to shed weight.

Yes all the bells and whistles are great, but they push the price much higher also.

We all win on what is happen to these new trucks, "if we can afford it"!

Chris

IronJ

I still have a 7.3 that has a TON of performance stuff done...now it's a different beast from a different time (both technological and environmental ) but the first time I drove a 6.7 I was like HOLY explative...in stock form it was awesome...and SO quiet...And to be fair the gmc and dodge were too...and in all honesty the only deciding factors between the Denali and 250 I was looking at was the interior and the way the ford delivered the power and shifted between 0 and 40...the ford just felt "right on"...in 5-6 years of may be saying the same of the ford...because my only loyalty lies in smiles per miles!! Lol

Carleen

My Chevy is 'Metallic Ruby Red' . . .

My old Dodge was the same color, although it was called 'Burgandy'!

View attachment 46758

View attachment 46759

Oh the Burgandy days... Remember when everything came in Blue, Burgandy, or Forrest Green?

I drove a 2014 GMC Duramax Denali Dualy in Black on Black for a while. Loved it! Lots of power, comfort, beauty... I called her Black Betty and would sing the song every time I was behind the wheel. When shopping, I fell in love with a White Cummings with black leather. Beautiful truck! However, the previous owner chipped it and I wasn't sure I wanted to get into that mess. So, I ended up with a white F-350. Wasn't allowed to bring home a red one- the boss said no. My dad has been a Ford guy for a long time. I lucked out because he traded his F-350 dually and I was able to strip all the accessories off and bolt them onto mine. Lucked out with a Roll-n-Lock tonneau cover, bug guard, window visors, rubber floor mats and nearly air bags with on-board compressor. I ran out of time to strip the airbags and compressor despite working as fast as I could. He gave me 4 hours notice to strip everything and he lived an hour away. There was 3' of snow outside and both trucks wouldn't fit in the garage. I am still happy with my purchase- I am sure I would have been happy with any of them!

Carleen

I still have a 7.3 that has a TON of performance stuff done...now it's a different beast from a different time (both technological and environmental ) but the first time I drove a 6.7 I was like HOLY explative...in stock form it was awesome...and SO quiet...And to be fair the gmc and dodge were too...and in all honesty the only deciding factors between the Denali and 250 I was looking at was the interior and the way the ford delivered the power and shifted between 0 and 40...the ford just felt "right on"...in 5-6 years of may be saying the same of the ford...because my only loyalty lies in smiles per miles!! Lol

I had a 1999 F-350 Crew Cab Long Bed SRW 7.3 that I loved. I bought it from a friend who professionally races diesels down the track. Not much was left stock- all done at ATS in Colorado. His kids had named it the Big Booger because it was green. I got custom license plates called Booger. I drove the wheels off that truck. Still sold it for more than I bought it for to a kid from Tx. He has done more to it and has had a blast. I can't say I would go back to it- I do appreciate the advances of the 6.7 and that it is stock. It started to get pricey fixing the 7.3 because you couldn't just look at the book on what parts to order. The cost of tires gave me a heart-attack every time. It was also hard to load my infant into his car seat. I had to reach him up over my head and "drop" him in. Then rock-climb up to the back seat to buckle him in. I also had leaf springs in the front, so I had to do a 3 point turn in the cul-de-sack because it had a terrible turning radius. I decided it just wasn't worth keeping at the time when I went through my separation. I needed a daily driver and didn't have anything to tow.

Capture.JPGCapturee.JPGCapture.JPGCapture3.JPG Capture.JPG(My son has a Dodge, so I can't say anything bad about them!)

BigGuy82

Maybe you have not tracked what RAM has done in recent years. RAM redid their 3500 frames in 2013 and left FORD and Chevy in the dust, I guess you have never seen any of the frame twist videos. Ford can not build a better frame than the RAM already has without creating a 5T tare weight truck. They are already dieting with aluminum body to shed weight.

Yes all the bells and whistles are great, but they push the price much higher also.

We all win on what is happen to these new trucks, "if we can afford it"!

Chris

Nope - haven't seen the videos but have used my truck to haul lots of stone, mulch, Honda Goldwing, etc. and never bent the frame. End of the day all of that YouTube stuff is entertaining but meaningless to the average schmo such as myself. The video I did watch was the Ford propaganda video but ... they lifted something like 7 truck using that frame. End of the day, that's stiff enough for hauling my mere 5th wheel!

I totally agree that bells-and-whistles up the price. They also increase the likelihood of failure. However, from my viewpoint the new 360 camera system and safety enhancements such as blind spot radar put those enhancements in the must have category. Could I drive without them? Of course. Are they really great new toys AND very useful? You bet! Sign me up!

I never could afford any truck I've ever owned - but that never stopped me.

IronJ

Well that settles it! I'm cancelling my new Super Duty 350 order. After all, if a truck expert like Howie Long says it and some totally trustworthy ad agency guy tells me it's an honest test, well then I'd be a fool to buy the truck. I still can't figure out why Ford light trucks are the best selling vehicle in America (I'm not sure ... maybe the planet?). Maybe I'll give Howie a call and ask him ...:rolleyes:

Pfftt....Howie long....what has he done lately....??

We have THE ROCK on our side!!

He is still relevant...Ford wins..

Hahahaha