New Air Bags and 5th Airborne coupler

denverkas

Yesterday I had a Firestone airbag suspension with the heavy duty compressor and incab gauge installed on my truck. I also had a 5th Airborne pinbox installed on the Coach. I wanted to ask from anyone with experience with this setup what I need to know or advice that you may give me. Here is my setup:

2011 Ford F-450 King Ranch Super Duty Crew Cab DRW
2014 Cyclone 4000 Elite

The company that installed the truck airbags and the airbag pinbox suggested that by adding both of these options, they would work against each other. But what I have read from many on this forum is just the opposite, and that the combination of the 2 actually compliments each other into a much smoother and more enjoyable ride.

Anyway, any thoughts or advice in how to get the best ride out of my combination from your experience would be great.

scottyb

Yesterday I had a Firestone airbag suspension with the heavy duty compressor and incab gauge installed on my truck. I also had a 5th Airborne pinbox installed on the Coach. I wanted to ask from anyone with experience with this setup what I need to know or advice that you may give me. Here is my setup:

2011 Ford F-450 King Ranch Super Duty Crew Cab DRW
2014 Cyclone 4000 Elite

The company that installed the truck airbags and the airbag pinbox suggested that by adding both of these options, they would work against each other. But what I have read from many on this forum is just the opposite, and that the combination of the 2 actually compliments each other into a much smoother and more enjoyable ride.

Anyway, any thoughts or advice in how to get the best ride out of my combination from your experience would be great.

I disagree. I think they work very well together. I pulled my rig with my old truck w/o air bags and with the 5th Airborne for 4500 mi. Now I have Firestones on my new Ford, and it is a noticeable improvement. IMO

porthole

Retired
I have semi air ride on the truck and air ride on the hitch (not the pin box). They don't work against each other.

truknutt

Committed Member
I also disagree. I have the Ride Rites and a 5th airborne pin box that work well together. Anything that keeps all that pin weight from slamming down on the Rear of the 450 is an asset in my book. You want a real test, travel with an empty garage! You will have to play around with the psi in each of the airbags to arrive at YOUR perfect comfort level.

Gary521

I had this setup on a Silverado. It worked great. Adjust the truck airbag pressure until you get the best ride as truknutt suggested. I found that 50 psi in the airbags worked best, yours may be different.

porthole

Retired
I also disagree. I have the Ride Rites and a 5th airborne pin box that work well together. Anything that keeps all that pin weight from slamming down on the Rear of the 450 is an asset in my book. You want a real test, travel with an empty garage! You will have to play around with the psi in each of the airbags to arrive at YOUR perfect comfort level.

Or set up both so they auto adjust :cool:

porthole

Retired
How do I set them up to auto adjust?

Requires some work and $.

On my truck the ride height is set by two height control valves mounted to the frame and connected to the axle by an adjustable link. Same valves used on OTR trucks.

My hitch is controlled by an an AirLift wireless controller. For the most part I keep the bag pressure at 60 psi. the control will keep that setting regardless of the pin weight. So whether my garage is empty, half loaded or full loaded, the hitch rides at the same height.