New Bighorn 3010RE owner

Phatkd

Hi all,..Great site! We just purchased a 2013 Bighorn 3010RE on NewYears Eve. This site really helped me through a lot of my questions as I have never owned a 5th wheel or towed one in my life.

Cheers from Canada

jimtoo

Hi Phatkd,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here as you have seen with all the information that is posted. We hope you enjoy your new toy and make lots of great memories with it.

When you go for your PDI, have them hook everything up and check operation of everything. Make sure you can operate all the appliances, including the TV, heater,, just everything.

Let us know how it goes and don't be afraid to ask for help.

Jim M

Phatkd

Thank you Sir! They told me that they will do a PDI with me,..I will try and have a checklist with me from all the information I have obtained from this wonderful site! One thing they wouldn't let me do before I put down my deposit was to hook up my genny to the unit to see if or what it would run on the unit..That is on my to do list. They have to install a washer/dryer in it for us,..So it may be a week or 2 before I get to do the PDI.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Hi Phatkd, my name is Doug Ollis and I'm the Chapter Leader for the Alberta Heartland Owners Club. Welcome to the Heartland family and I want to invite you to join us at one of our Rallies. I will sent you a Private Message to query interest in our Club. Doug

jimtoo

When you do the PDI,,, take plenty of time,,,3-4 hours if you want. Be sure your happy with it before you sign off on the delivery. If possible camp a couple days on the dealers lot...get anything adjusted or repaired before you leave.

Jim M

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
I would like to Welcome to the group , as the New York chapter leader and also I'm a proud new owner of a 3010re also !!! Come on spring..

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Phatkd

How do you like your 3010RE? I have the dealership installing a Splendide stackable washer and dryer, a hitch in my truck, and a LED light strip professionaly installed under the awning.

Phatkd

Well,..The dealership tells us that the coach is all ready to go. They had to install the washer and dryer, put the paint sealer on and install 3M on the front to alleviate rock chips/tar..etc and install the 16 feet of Dometic LED lights with the RF remote under the awning. We PDI the rig tomorrow, and I am nervous that I will miss something.

The dealership has an excellent reputation, and from what I read on this forum so does Heartland.

I am also nervous about trailering a 5er for the first time bringing it home,..Hope the traffic gods are smiling down on us. It is only a 30 mile drive to get it home,..but traffic and bridges are crazy around here. I will be sure to bring a measuring tape and get the exact height before I depart.

Any advice for the PDI is more than welcome,..so are tips regarding pulling a her.

Thanks

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Good Luck and congratulations from the Michigan chapter leader. You will master the towing part in no time, just nice and easy and cautious. Of course that whole backing up thing is another deal. If you are not familiar with backing in a unit such as yours, it might be a good idea to find an empty parking lot and set out some markers and do a little practicing.

danemayer

I second JimToo's recommendation. Stay at the dealer, or nearby for 2-3 days. You'll find something that needs adjustment, explanation or replacement. Just let the dealer know that you're sticking around and ask the service manager to commit to priority treatment of any shakedown problems. At the time of purchase, they'll be fast to make adjustments. After you take it home, you're just another customer in the service queue.

Phatkd

I am not able to stay in the new rig on the dealers lot due to "liability" reasons, and because it is -26c here right now. I don't want to dewinterize it just yet. I will however trailer it back home after the PDI, plug it in, fire up the furnace and spend the entire weekend going over the systems and operations of it once it is back up to a livable temperature. If the dealer is unwilling to dewinterize it to add water and pressure up the systems,..That will have to wait until spring. I hope they do allow that,..I have never purchased a brand new RV before and am not very familiar with how dealers PDI units in the winter up here.

That brings up another question. Does anyone here have any experience in operating the slide outs in very cold temperatures? I haven't been able to locate any factory information about operating the slides both in and out in cold weather.

Thanks again,..All advice is much appreciated.

danemayer

Does anyone here have any experience in operating the slide outs in very cold temperatures?
A few days ago I pulled them in at -2 F. All hydraulic. I think the auto-reset circuit breaker tripped and reset a few times because the slides stopped 1 or 2 times each on the way in. Same issue with the hydraulic landing gear. The auto-level control panel reset several times. The circuit breaker may be getting weak - and/or I'll guess the cold weather may put a heavier load on the pump, in turn putting a heavier load on the circuit breaker.

jnbhobe

Its the cold thats why Lippert wants you to add a second breaker in paralell. The oil is too heavy for the pump when cold and puts a high amp draw on the breakers.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When we left home two weeks ago it was +3 F. My breaker tripped as I was bringing in the slides.
The breaker is fairly new and tripping has not been an issue once we got to temps in the teens
So as Jon says, the cold does affect opperation.

Peace
Dave

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
If one is going to operate slides and landing gears in very cold weather, it would be a good idea to remove the current transmission fluid and replace with synthetic transmission fluid. Synthetic transmission fluid has a pour point of -60 F. Petroleum Transmission fluid has waxes in the fluid and the pour point is - 15 F to - 30 F depending on the brand.

Phatkd

I am laying here on the couch. It is -19c. I have learned that I can only run the furnace, several lights, and the TV and surround on 110v. Very good learning experience BYW

danemayer

I am laying here on the couch. It is -19c. I have learned that I can only run the furnace, several lights, and the TV and surround on 110v. Very good learning experience BYW

Are you limited because you're plugged into a pedestal/outlet with less than 50Amp service?

Phatkd

Are you limited because you're plugged into a pedestal/outlet with less than 50Amp service?

We were just plugged into 110v and had no problems at all. Fridge was running, furnace, fireplace, TV and some lights. We would need the 50amp if we were running the washer and dryer and the AC, but it was fig gin cold. We havn't tried the "Yetti" system yet, but come spring I am going to give it a good workout