New Bighorn 3670RL with Airsafe Hitch

WilmanJim

We will be picking up our 2010 Bighorn 3670RL on the 29th of July and have a few questions.
I have been towing Travel Trailers for the last 40 years and will be new to 5th wheels.
We are having a 25K Airsafe hitch put in our Truck, a 2006 Ford F-350 6.0 CC Dually with the Tow Boss package, and was wondering if anyone could tell me if the Airsafe hitch will set below the bed rails so I could put a tonneau cover on the truck or will I have to remove the hitch.

Also, what bed rail height should I be looking at.

We are looking forward to getting our Bighorn. We are getting rid of a 2003 Cedar Creek 36RLBS TT which has been a great RV as we have just under 100,000 towing miles on it in the 7 years we have had it. We winter in the San Diego area every year. Sure beats Ohio winters.
We hope the Bighorn will give us great service too.
Safe Travels to All.
Jim and Wilma

Last edited:

truknutt

Committed Member
...We are having a 25K Airsafe hitch put in our Truck, a 2006 Ford F-350 6.0 CC Dually with the Tow Boss package, and was wondering if anyone could tell me if the Airsafe hitch will set below the bed rails so I could put a tonneau cover on the truck or will I have to remove the hitch.

Also, what bed rail height should I be looking at.

Jim and Wilma

While I don't have this hitch, I see on the Air Safe Website that the hitch is height adjustable from 14" to 21" .

I have both a 2003 F-350 2WD & a 2009 F-450 4WD and both have a rail height of 19.75" measured from the top of the floor ridges to the top of the plastic box rail protectors (across the wheel wells). I don't kow what style/brand of tonneau you plan to use. I use a Bak Flip hard tonneau on each of the trucks which actually sits slightly below the rail top so it appears flush and our Cyclone rides nice and level with plenty of turning room.

I think you should be fine.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I now see this is your first post soooo "WELCOME to the forum!"

Retired CPO

Like truckNut I also have a full hard cover flip back Tonneau, "Love it". I think the 25K hitch in a 6.0L F350 is a bit of over kill. Myself, I installed a Reese 18K Signiture series that will pull just above anything. You will never get to pull anything over 16K as thats your max rating for your truck, correct? consider saving yourself a few buck-A-Roo's and go lower. I was only concerned with a highend hitch for safety purposes.

CrazyScotsman

I don't have an Airsafe hitch in my F350 bed, but what I do with my hitch, is get hitch plate level, then place a block of wood under it to keep level, then that way I can close my Roll "N" lock bed cover, so imagine you could probably be able to do the same thing.

Delaine and Lindy

Can't comment on the Air Safe hitch, but I always recomend a mininum of 5" and 6"
clearance for the bed to 5th wheel would better... As for the capacity, I recomend everyone get at least 20,000 capacity. Most everyone will upgrade to a larger 5th wheel, haven't known many who downsize. We have a Trailer Saver Air ride and the Capacity is 32,000 lbs. When we started RVing we had a 16,000 lbs and then we went to a Trailer Saver air ride 20,000 lb capacity, and we had to upgade again. GBY...

GypsyBill

and Jennifer
I have a 25k Airsafe hitch in my '09 Ford F450 with a Retrax roll top tonneau and at the setting the hitch is at now, the cover clears the head by about 3" when closed. Now, the only problem is I don't yet have a Heartland product... but the hitch adjusts about about 20" from top to bottom and I am in the middle with my current 5er...

WilmanJim

Thanks for the quick responses and the Welcome. I went with the Air Safe 25K Hitch because I told the dealer if he through the hitch in with the deal along with a Carrier Low Profile second air I would sign the papers and after a couple days or so he said yes. Darn, should have asked for more. lol
Thanks again for the replies.

Jim

Last edited:

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
Bill & Jennifer
Glad to have on board!! What are you waiting for Bill, the Heartland coaches are something to own!! Heartland does personaly work hard to make a coach that will suit you and Jennifer and stand behind the coach of our dreams.

GypsyBill

and Jennifer
Bill & Jennifer
Glad to have on board!! What are you waiting for Bill, the Heartland coaches are something to own!! Heartland does personaly work hard to make a coach that will suit you and Jennifer and stand behind the coach of our dreams.

Oh, we have been lurking around for a long time... my investigation of "retirement" RVs has been going on for a few years now... ask Jim Beletti as I bug him all the time with questions... we are now less than 6 months away from retirement and the house goes on the market at the end of the month... so hopefully soon, I can quit investigating and get to the job of enjoying.. and thanks for the welcome..:)

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
WilmanJim,
Congratualtions and welcome to the Heartland Family. I am sure you will enjoy many years in your new rig. Glad to see another Ohioan. By the way, keep looking up here for info and help on your rig, and also keep an eye out for our Ohio Rally next year. Speaking of rallies, make sure you make plans to meet us in Nashville next year for the National Rally. It will be a blast.

Good luck and keep us informed of your adventures,
Mark

WilmanJim

Thanks Mark,
We will definitely be looking for the Ohio Rally and will have to see about Nashville. Depends on if the Grand Kids will let us be gone that long. :rolleyes:

Jim and Wilma

aktravler

You absolutely will love the hitch, we have towed with the 2005 model (called then the Advanced Air Hitch) of the Air Safe since we bought our Raptor, it provides an excellent ride for both the tow vehicle and trailer. It sits well below the bed rails of a F350.

Congrats on your new rig, we will be seriously shopping ourselves in the next year for a Landmark.