New F350 vs F450

branson4020

Icantre Member
Well, we are thinking about a larger trailer, and that means goodbye to my much-beloved Dodge 3500 SRW Megacab. It's already a bit over GVWR just pulling my current trailer. Been looking at new Fords, and assumed I would want an F450. Now that I've looked a little closer, it looks to me like a new F450 is just a larded-up F350 with fatter brakes and a 4.30 rear end. Am I missing something?

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
The F450 has a wider front end, wider rear end and a ton and a half more towing capacity.

porthole

Retired
The new 450 has the same rear axle as the 350.
A 4.10 axle ratio with a weight rating increase and wider front axle are the only differences (and the fender flares to cover the wider axle).

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
The new 450 has the same rear axle as the 350.
A 4.10 axle ratio with a weight rating increase and wider front axle are the only differences (and the fender flares to cover the wider axle).

Fords web site states 4:30 gears and it is wider than the 350

http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/exterior/

The ground clearance is also more with the 450 so something is different there too. This may or may not add "value" but the OP did ask if he was missing something.

porthole

Retired
Fords web site states 4:30 gears and it is wider than the 350

http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/exterior/

The ground clearance is also more with the 450 so something is different there too. This may or may not add "value" but the OP did ask if he was missing something.

I think the ground is slightly more with the 350

Yes, 4.30 is correct and I knew that, don't know why I wrote 4.10.
I see the track as being different by 1.2", and that doesn't make sense. The 74.7-79.9 is a 18" narrower then what the truck is! The 2011 guide shows the track with the 350/450 as being the same at 95.9"

For 2011 Ford put the same axle in both the 350 and 450, it is a Dana 80 series. Prior year 450's had a Dana 110 IIRC and 19.5" 10 lug wheels and tires

Brakes:
With the 450 front rotors almost an inch larger and rear almost 2" larger in diameter. That may or may not be important to you.

To the OP, The only 2011 450 I know of on this site is SpringerDan. He pulls a 3 axle Cyclone with it and has almost 30k miles already. Send him a PM and ask for his "user" opinion.

One last thing to consider, the 450 is not available in 2WD, the 350 DRW is.

TedS

porthole, did you not notice codycarver's signature? 2011 F450. Nice rig, I've seen it.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Thanks for all the info guys. I don't think I need the 4.30 gears to pull a Landmark but probably will if we decide on a heavier SOB trailer. The payload is about the same between the F350 & F450, so that's the way I'm leaning right now. Man oh man, what I really want is a Dodge Megacab with a 5,000 lb payload capacity.

mmomega

AnyTimer
I tow a Landmark with an F350 and still have plenty of towing capacity left over (30,000#). As you would with any of the 1 tons on the market. IMHO unless you're pulling in some steel mountain hills constantly, the 350 will do just fine.

branson4020

Icantre Member
I tow a Landmark with an F350 and still have plenty of towing capacity left over (30,000#). As you would with any of the 1 tons on the market. IMHO unless you're pulling in some steel mountain hills constantly, the 350 will do just fine.

Unless your 1-ton is a Dodge 3500 Megacab.

lwmcguir

I would have to agree the F350 would be fine with any of the 40' HL Coaches. The Augusta dont even make it work at all. We tow a large FB dually on occasion with an 18,000 loader on it. The F350 tows it in great shape with the 3.55 gears. Just had to find out how the F350 would handle it. Shifts a few more times and it is a bit more than I like on the pin but no problem at all moving down the road. Normally would use the F550 or the Semi to stay on the legal side. Sure wish the F550 had the 6.7 engine.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Unless your 1-ton is a Dodge 3500 Megacab.
Oh wow, I just looked at the numbers Dodge has on their website. Actually I'm rather confused. How does a 3500HD CC DRW truck have a GCVW of 17,000lbs.
Seems like the gear plays a HUGE part in the Dodge.
3.42 gear which I guess is standard now for better fuel mileage gives you 17,000lb GCVW.
3.73 gears give 21,000lbs
4.10 gives 28,000lbs

and then this tidbit on their page
To help you carry the load, the enhanced 6.7L Cummins® High Output Turbo Diesel engine generates an unsurpassed 800 pound-feet of maximum torque[SUP]+[/SUP] and boosts maximum towing capacity to 22,750 pounds
I could have sworn that a few months ago they were boasting over 30,000lbs of towing.

I must be looking in the wrong place for the 2012's.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Oh wow, I just looked at the numbers Dodge has on their website. Actually I'm rather confused. How does a 3500HD CC DRW truck have a GCVW of 17,000lbs.
Seems like the gear plays a HUGE part in the Dodge.
3.42 gear which I guess is standard now for better fuel mileage gives you 17,000lb GCVW.
3.73 gears give 21,000lbs
4.10 gives 28,000lbs

and then this tidbit on their page
I could have sworn that a few months ago they were boasting over 30,000lbs of towing.

I must be looking in the wrong place for the 2012's.

You're looking in the right place. I have a 2007 Megacab. It's over its GVWR by about 600 lbs just pulling my BH 3385. If you're looking at the specs, you'll also notice that you don't gain any payload capacity by going from SRW to DRW. That's why I started this thread. I'm not really concerned about the GCWR, truck has plenty of power, and the trailer brakes stop the trailer just fine. But I definitely don't want to get any further over my payload capacity.

bill40

There is a new 450 DRW on our local dealers lot and it has a 4.88 listed on the sticker. Bet that is a stump puller, probably would be turning near 3000rpm at 60.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
You're looking in the right place. I have a 2007 Megacab. It's over its GVWR by about 600 lbs just pulling my BH 3385. If you're looking at the specs, you'll also notice that you don't gain any payload capacity by going from SRW to DRW. That's why I started this thread. I'm not really concerned about the GCWR, truck has plenty of power, and the trailer brakes stop the trailer just fine. But I definitely don't want to get any further over my payload capacity.

I dont know about the 2007 model, but the 2012 Megacabs only have 3020 payload with a short bed, 2WD. It goes down to 2330 with the regular bed and 4WD. The GVWR for the higher payload is the 10,500 package.

You have to drop back to the smaller quad cab to get into the higher payloads with the Max Tow Package. The GVWR for the Quad cab, long bed 4X4 with an auotmatic (which gives you the high output engine) is 12,300 with 4,550 payload.

There are two higher payload ratings up to 5100lbs but it is with the standard cab.

To get the 30100 GCWR that they advertise requires regular cab (2 door) DRW and an automatic. Towing capacity with this package is 22750.

The GCWR drops to 21,000 lbs with a manual transmission and 3.73 rear and it does not matter what cab and bed you have with this setup.

This is straight out of the 2012 brochure.

mmomega

AnyTimer
I've never seen that offered on the 450's even in the Fleet source book I have. May be a 2012 option.

Gives me something to research.