New Guy Questions

shepherds56

With a 2008 SRW Duramax 2500HD, short box, can it be lifted 2"-3" and still tow a Big Horn 5th? Is there a problem with that height?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The short and likely wrong answer is...sure. Best answer is your trailer needs to ride level so that you have equal weight on each axle. If your truck is lifted you will most likely ride nose high causing excess weight on your back axle.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I don't know the measurement from the ground to the bed rails on the new GM's but I think they are taller than earlier years. That being said, to raise it even higher could cause problems with any brand 5th wheel. I would say to get out the tape measure and see what the numbers say. As Dave mentioned, the trailer needs to ride as level as possible to keep from overloading an axle.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Most transport companies require a max bed side height of 57" or less to lease on so there's a number you can use for a base line

My 2006 F-350 dually 4x4 was right at 56-1/2" from the factory my 2wd dodge is close to the same at the rear with it's tail in the air stance.

I personally wouldn't lift a truck I used for towing a fiver.