New guy with tire questions

TireHobby

I think you should get a second look at the tire size. The ST235/85R16 LRE is rated at 3640# at 80 psi and would be excessive for an OEM fitment for 6000# axles.

fritzwell

Well we finally found time to pick up our 3270 last Tuesday. After the walk around and signing papers for 20 min we went straight from the dealer to the tire shop. Had 5 Maxxis 235/80-R16 installed, picked it up the next day and headed back home. What I find interesting about this Towmax tire deal is that Heartland, the service center, and dealer folks have never heard there's a problem. Anyway we're planning our first trip with it hopefully next month. Again thanks to all for your input.

Fritzwell

kowAlski631

Well we finally found time to pick up our 3270 last Tuesday. After the walk around and signing papers for 20 min we went straight from the dealer to the tire shop. Had 5 Maxxis 235/80-R16 installed, picked it up the next day and headed back home. What I find interesting about this Towmax tire deal is that Heartland, the service center, and dealer folks have never heard there's a problem. Anyway we're planning our first trip with it hopefully next month. Again thanks to all for your input.

Fritzwell

I do believe that they are mistaken. I know for a fact that we have had multiple conversations with Heartland when our tires self destructed. I also know many other owners have had the same conversations.

Martha

fritzwell

I do believe you are correct too. I see it as the typical business flim flam these days, all I was doing was repeating what I was told, didn't intend to upset anyone.

Peace Out

kowAlski631

I do believe you are correct too. I see it as the typical business flim flam these days, all I was doing was repeating what I was told, didn't intend to upset anyone.

Peace Out

You didn't upset anyone, but it can get frustrating when it's reported that entities who have received reports of problems disavow knowledge. We had a salesperson try to feed us a line recently. Unfortunately for him, we knew it was untrue and he quickly was corrected and lost a lot of commission.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I think tire issues are a known industry problem. RVIA recently hosted a webinar to discuss tire selection and safety, with NTHSA and RVSEF participating as well. It was geared towards RV manufacturers and dealers. Unfortunately, as a consumer representative, I was able to participate, though I did try to sign up. :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Fritzwell

We just picked up our new 2015 Heartland Prowler yesterday, and as I had just put five brand new wheels and tires on our 2013 Heartland Trail Runner just two weeks previously, I had the dealership put all five tires on our new Prowler and put the BlowMax's that were on the Prowler on our old Trail Runner.

They also claimed to have never heard of the BlowMax issue . . . to which I replied:

"You have now!"

JanAndBill

Fritzwell

You can bet Heartland as well as every other RV manufacturer is aware of the customer complaints with Towmax, even if the individual is not. My personal experience is that RV buyers are forced to quickly become "educated in ALL things RV" after their first unit, while salespeople tend to remain grossly uninformed.

based on this and other strings of intel we pick up and have installed with High Speed balancing 4 new MAXXIS 225/75/15's on Saturday. ordered from Discount tire.com where as the closest Canadian dealer to us was on the far west coast and we are far east coast.
its amazing how many shops refused to do tire install and balancing for tires they couldn't supply the consumer with.
one shop even started to get offensive with DW until she told them that the TOW MAX tires they sell are pretty much junk... right next to Carlisles.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
based on this and other strings of intel we pick up and have installed with High Speed balancing 4 new MAXXIS 225/75/15's on Saturday. ordered from Discount tire.com where as the closest Canadian dealer to us was on the far west coast and we are far east coast.
its amazing how many shops refused to do tire install and balancing for tires they couldn't supply the consumer with.
one shop even started to get offensive with DW until she told them that the TOW MAX tires they sell are pretty much junk... right next to Carlisles.

Did you replace your spare?

The BlowMax tires are not even good for that . . .

jaywebb

Has anyone used the "Prometer" brand of tires? Supposedly a Yokohoma product. For the LL835 tire, it has a 14 ply rating and steel bands that wrap the sidewall. The Goodyear G rating tires and Micheclin are 10 ply tires and have only steel in the tread. In Texas, many of the oil field service trucks are running these tires on their pipe trailers. They run $185 each in Marshall, Texas.

danemayer

If you're talking about Goodyear G614 tires, they are Load Range G, 14 ply equivalent (there are no 14 ply tires), and the steel goes from bead to bead, covering the sidewalks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GOTTOYS

Has anyone used the "Prometer" brand of tires? Supposedly a Yokohoma product. For the LL835 tire, it has a 14 ply rating and steel bands that wrap the sidewall. The Goodyear G rating tires and Micheclin are 10 ply tires and have only steel in the tread. In Texas, many of the oil field service trucks are running these tires on their pipe trailers. They run $185 each in Marshall, Texas.
A lot of tires "supposedly" are made by..XXX...Save your money and go with a proven or known brand. When one of your off brand tires fails on the road where will you go for a replacement? Nobody ever bought something of good quality then said, "Gee I wish I would have bought something cheaper"..Don